Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 29, 2007, 10:42 PM   #1

UPDATED: see this post, the man himself shows how to do this!!!!
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

Any ideas? I see only 2 options, I have tried neither:

1) Replacing existing microphone with an external jack & using it.

2) Some cable solution by using the audio outs, etc.

Any audio/video-philes with a deep understanding that can shed some light on this audio newbie?

Thanks!

Nate
s00nertp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2007, 1:39 PM   #2

Nate. I opened up the IS-dv the mic is on the screen on a piggyback board. left alone so if you're opening you're voiding a warranty.

you may need to look into carefully opening hte A-hd and see if it is a confined board and decide if it is worth the effort? I say go this route

1 find a din plug that goes in the av input and bypas the video only and get the mic to work. you'll befilming in D1 quality not HD quality? that may be an idea?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 7:41 PM   #3

I just bought an A-HD and yes, finding a way to attach an external microphone is a must. I tried the camera in the car and from the vibrations most the sound the camera recorded was lots of crackles ...

It would have been great if the software allowed the option to use the audio channels from the AV in cable along with video from the internal camera. Alas, from what I see if you want to use the audio input it switches the video recording to the external video in too

I am sure the firmware engineers can change the code to use the audio-in along with the internal video camera in less than a day. And then we would be able to connect powered microphone (with line out) to the audio input of the camera and have great audio ....
shtirlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:18 PM   #4

That's probably a little beyond the scope of what the A-HD is supposed to be. Granted Aiptek has probably already heard enough about the bad audio that they will make that a priority in the next model. It's supposed to be an inexpensive point and shoot that lets about anybody afford to shoot some HD. The microphone is also the speaker so you have another problem there. Want something more then save your pennies and move up the line.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 8:22 PM   #5

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
That's probably a little beyond the scope of what the A-HD is supposed to be. Granted Aiptek has probably already heard enough about the bad audio that they will make that a priority in the next model. It's supposed to be an inexpensive point and shoot that lets about anybody afford to shoot some HD. The microphone is also the speaker so you have another problem there. Want something more then save your pennies and move up the line.
I am not looking for HD sound - just to be able to hear something normal. The current microphone is total junk. And changing their code to offer the option to record the audio in instead of the built in mic won't take them more than few hours and no extra hardware on their side ...
Old Oct 30, 2007, 9:46 PM   #6

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Nate.
[... you may need to look into carefully opening hte A-hd and see if it is a confined board and decide if it is worth the effort? I say go this route...]
Fishy,
hmm, to take it apart, i unscrewed the 4 screws in the battery compartment & couldnt find anything else that attached things. It still doesnt come apart... any tricks to opening it up that you could advise?

Seems like I need to check the audio inside, see if I can isolate the microphone. I wouldnt mind killing the microphone altogether & replacing it with a microphone jack.

The speaker is pretty useless (I rarely playback and the audio is usually too distractingly aweful to want to hear when I do), so if I lost it, no biggie either.

Anyone know of a picture online of it taken apart? I couldnt find that either. I'd like to compare it to mine once I figure out how to open it. (I'll share some pics too after)
Old Oct 30, 2007, 9:56 PM   #7

shtirlitz wrote:
Quote:
I just bought an A-HD and yes, finding a way to attach an external microphone is a must. I tried the camera in the car and from the vibrations most the sound the camera recorded was lots of crackles ...

It would have been great if the software allowed the option to use the audio channels from the AV in cable along with video from the internal camera. Alas, from what I see if you want to use the audio input it switches the video recording to the external video in too

I am sure the firmware engineers can change the code to use the audio-in along with the internal video camera in less than a day. And then we would be able to connect powered microphone (with line out) to the audio input of the camera and have great audio ....
I totally agree on both your points.

I listened to a video I took in the car & was depressed at the horrid quality. I couldnt hear anything said, I was filming the talkers in the front seat from the back. I was as close as I could get without interfering with the driving and so I could get them in the picture.

It has to be freakishly easy for the firmware engineers to allow independant audio input using the channels. They are already isolating channels with the HD cabling solution.

Old Oct 30, 2007, 11:11 PM   #8

darn it, I wrote out a bunch of stuff & the attachement was over 250 bytes so it erased my text. Here goes again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1589546...850608/detail/

Above is where I uploaded my pictures from taking the A-HD apart. I only got to about 7-8 screws and stopped. I am not audiophile/tech gifted and already lost one screw.

For me to finish and get down to be able to view where the microphone is sautered to the side-motherboard, it would be another 10 screws at least and a lot more table space to keep track of everything.

TIP/TRICK: I was unable to lift the side of the battery until I figured out to slide the silver speaker/microphone piece back (towards the joystick). It is attached by sticky stuff and a slide joint. You will see a screw to take out & the panel easily taken off.

The closest similar device I could find with external microphone: "Sanyo's Xacti" for $480.
The A-HD is still too apealing since it is so cheap. I took the thing kayaking on the ocean already.

Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:35 AM   #9

1. I mention deep in the thread of A-HD

The A-Hd and GO-Hd willbeUslelesswith the sound in the Car, the Electroncis INTERFERE with the camcorder. Noise supressor iliminated (a guess) but yes I returneda perect GO0-HD due to that. thinking it was defective? do a comparison one in a car, one out

2. Mic is seperate from the speaker, they are not one. they are placed side by side it looks like a hearing aid battery. if a pic is needed Locate the Thread or wait later of the aiptek mpvr taking apart in youtube 3 vids

you'll find front and back stick pads, speaker grill may lift off exposing some screws the lens barrel will hide somethere behind the battery should be asticker only, then the the rest may be snapsI doybt the front chrome is a sticker but hmmm. take thepics for others if they dare to mod an improvment?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 10:35 AM   #10

s00nertp wrote:
Quote:
TIP/TRICK: I was unable to lift the side of the battery until I figured out to slide the silver speaker/microphone piece back (towards the joystick). It is attached by sticky stuff and a slide joint. You will see a screw to take out & the panel easily taken off.
Thanks for the tip. I just pulled that on mine and it exposed the speaker and the microphone right next to it. I wonder if without opening the unit, if the microphone is pulled with pliers will it come off with enough of cable slack behind it so a connector could be soldered in