Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 6, 2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
Default

I'm using my A-HD (fw 1.302) for a helmet cam.
To get an idea of how long the battery will last during a recording session, I started recording and let it go until the battery died. It lasts about 2hrs and creates an mov file of about 1.7G. However, the camera displays the thumbnail for the video with an 'X' on it and says "invalid MOV" when I try to view it - PC won't view it either. Tried this whole procedure a few times, with the same result. I actually witnessed it power down when the battery was too low and it switched from red (recording) to amber (paused) then shut down. Any ideas why the video is invalid?
funkysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:22 AM   #2
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

1 was this the 1st time with the helemt cam/

2. I do a sample shot about 5 secs to see if it works

3 was the sd card formatted in the camera

4 the hybrid was the A-Hd recording ? or the helmet cam?

5 helmet cam file is not .movformat



trying to see if what you're doing is correct? you'll get a red X for an invalid file into the camcorder, due to the Ambrella chip and firmware writing, only allowed file will be direct from a GO_HD or A-HD its own camcorder noteven minipulated


fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:41 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
Default

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
1 was this the 1st time with the helemt cam/

2. I do a sample shot about 5 secs to see if it works

3 was the sd card formatted in the camera

4 the hybrid was the A-Hd recording ? or the helmet cam?

5 helmet cam file is not .movformat



trying to see if what you're doing is correct? you'll get a red X for an invalid file into the camcorder, due to the Ambrella chip and firmware writing, only allowed file will be direct from a GO_HD or A-HD its own camcorder noteven minipulated

1. Not the 1st time using it.
2. shorter clips work.
3. formatted in the camera...maybe not?? I get a "card change" message when I turn it on.
4. bullet cam is video source
5. a-hd produced the mov file

I will try formatting the card in the camera.
Thanks for the quick response!
-Sandy
funkysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 296
Default

Sounds like an unclosed file. IOW, pertinent information needs to be written to the header when you finish taking a video a video and because you let the battery die it was unable to write that data. They probably haven't included any code to check for minimal battery and before it runs out close the file and shut down.


hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:26 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
Default

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like an unclosed file. IOW, pertinent information needs to be written to the header when you finish taking a video a video and because you let the battery die it was unable to write that data. They probably haven't included any code to check for minimal battery and before it runs out close the file and shut down.


possibly, but I actually watched it display the'battery low' message and pause the recording then close down. To me, that appears that they did include code to check the battery.

I'm using a 150 speed 2G SD card- but it always says 'card change' when I turn the unit on (even after a format by the same camera).


I will repeat the test tonight with a different memory card.

funkysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 2:48 PM   #6
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

the vid I made of sd card crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqa2ww6oq5o

has a sd card change,

1 older version models will not write orfinish, today the newer model allows the camera to finish I even had thecamera tip over and it shut down and finished. so the sd card may be the problem here. i believe mine was a sandisk 512mb

and get this I even had it crash on my next released vid

possably what firmware is on the camera if it is like mine the blue model the chip andfirmware may need to be addressed to the comp.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 8:31 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
Default

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
the vid I made of sd card crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqa2ww6oq5o

has a sd card change,

1 older version models will not write orfinish, today the newer model allows the camera to finish I even had thecamera tip over and it shut down and finished. so the sd card may be the problem here. i believe mine was a sandisk 512mb

and get this I even had it crash on my next released vid

possably what firmware is on the camera if it is like mine the blue model the chip andfirmware may need to be addressed to the comp.
ok..tested with the regular SD 2Gig card..it ran for 2hrs and shut off..the mov file was ok!! must be the card
thanks for the help!
funkysandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:23 AM   #8
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,623
Default

I also noticed something on the camcorder and will see if I can duplicate the issue.

I deleted vids on tha camcorder and when I didso i seen a X file unsupported .

this may bedue to a file left on the card or a changed file name.

so

1. sd card is the cause

2. unknown file

until we can figure it out, it may have been a fluke
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 PM.