Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:15 PM   #1

I currently have the Konica/Minolta DiMage Z1 - 3.2 mp and a 8mm video. Since both need updating I am looking at a hybrid and need some help. I have done some research and here is what I have found. The Sony HDR-HC7 seems to have the best quality still photo (4.6 mp) out there but suffers at low light video. The Canon HV20 is better at low light but the stills are not as sharp as the Sony. The Canon TX-1 video has a tough time focusing but is significantly less money.

I would like an HD camera but don't need one. Format is no matter although miniDV seems to be the best at not compressing the raw data. I don't do much printing of photos over 4x6. Maybe an occasional 5x7 or 8x10. The Z1 with 3.2 mp seems to handle this just fine.

I also like the feature of taking stills while recording video.

I will be using this for vacations, kids, general use.

So, my questions are whether the Canon HV20 will have good enough quality still shots while I am recording video? Remember, I am used to 3.2 mp. If not, how easy/fast is it to switch from video to still to get a higher quality still? Does the Sony still photo quality make up for the low light video problem? And where does the TX-1 fit into all of these questions? Should I simply upgrade my video to a miniDV w/o HD and keep my Z1?

Thanks.
intern8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:59 AM   #2
Administrator

You may have better luck asking in our Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams forum for this type of camera. I don't mind asking a "What Camera Should I Buy" type question there if someone is interested in a Hybrid type model, since the members that frequent that forum are usually more familiar with that type of model.

So, I moved this thread there for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 1:43 PM   #3

One of the prime topics in this forum is the Hybrid List. That will give you an idea of the breadth of choices available.

Unfortunately for your interest in taking stills while shooting video, I don't list that as one of the specs. Most of the Hybrids don't, but some do, and it's becoming a more common feature. Just check the specs and reviews carefully to see if the video pauses when a still is taken, and what resolution the still will have. I know some of them shoot stills while recording video, at the same resolution as the video, typically 640x480. Which is fairly useless for stills.

The Samsung CG65, HD2, HD700 and HD1000 may be of interest to you. There are plenty of others.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 2:04 PM   #4

the sanyo xacti's allow still shot during vid. assoon Hi def isbecomming more avaialble they will allow you to grab stills off the video in a better definition.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:08 PM   #5

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
The Samsung CG65, HD2, HD700 and HD1000 may be of interest to you. There are plenty of others.
This should readSanyo, not Samsung.
Trocadile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:58 PM   #6

yep he made a boo boo but this is the sanyo he is referring to

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote