Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 24, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1

This has come up before, but I want to make sure, as the answers can be deceiving, and an Aiptek based camera is coming to an local shop soon.

I'm interested in getting an Hybrid and trying to capture an higher quality feed.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

You can see what I mean.

I want to find out about the high definition video outputs of the GO-HD, A-HD, A-HD200. I am looking to see what format they have and what compression. People with an display that can display this information can help most.

----

Any of these cameras capable of displaying an live picture (not when playing back) that has no information/icons/data across the video feed?

Is there any delay in displaying this picture (wave your hand in front of it and see if it is exactly synchronised)?
(The video feed can be delayed by compression, but might be delayed by other precessing too).

Is it HD on any of these cameras?

Getting the camera and pointing it while moving it in an large circle quickly, should cause the whole image to go around in an circle. Is it pure, retaining the highest image quality?
(If it is compressed, this should cause the image to break down into coarse blocking and other artifacts).

The next questions are more for people with good info displays on their TV/monitors/capture cards):

Is it 4:2:0, or 4:2;2, even 4:4:4 pixel format, if you have zoom on display you can probably see it?
(4:2:0, every 2 pixels in each direction blend colors, 4:2:2 only two pixels in horizontal direction is blended, 4:4:4 each pixel has it's own unique unblended color).

Is it just 30fps, or 60fps (particularly if there is any mode to set shutter to 1/60th/s).
(I doubt it will be more than 30fps, but cool if it is).

----

Thanks

Wayne12
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:08 AM   #2

Hi,

i have Go HD(Aiptek Z300 hd)

It has composite/yuv video output standart/hd image and you can get those icons complete off if you want by taking memory card out off camera

Video info:

General #0
Complete name : C:\FILE0023.MOV
Format : QuickTime
Format/Info : Quictime movie
Format/Family : MPEG-4
File size : 27.2 MiB
PlayTime : 56s 341ms
Bit rate : 4048 Kbps
StreamSize : 56.0 KiB
Encoded date : UTC 2006-01-02 09:59:46
Tagged date : UTC 2006-01-02 09:59:46

Video #0
Codec : H.264
Codec/Info : H.264 (3GPP)
PlayTime : 56s 333ms
Bit rate : 4007 Kbps
Width : 1280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
StreamSize : 26.9 MiB
Title : Ambarella AVC

Audio #0
Codec : AAC LC
Codec/Info : AAC Low Complexity
PlayTime : 56s 341ms
Bit rate : 33 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
StreamSize : 224 KiB
Title : Ambarella AAC

Yes,there is motion delay/motion/wawy blur and i believe many camera has it(delay).

You can use it like Hd security camera and capture if you want (take memorycard out,put
icons off and just use ac-power adapter.

Video is 30fps noninterlaced but camera has flicker 50/60mode and pal/ntsc settings to other countries.

Sorry,i cant test this pixel format question.

Video is highly compressed and you can see that clearly if you point to trees while recording,not tested otherways
:|
tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks an lot for this tobe. I am having an little trouble understanding some things, so if I could clarify.

The camera is outputting High definition video signal?

From what you have said: when camera is in standby, and when filming, their is always an delay between action and HDTV, and there is an big break down in compression in both recorded and standby modes. Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is no time when there is no delay, or no compression?

Thanks for the stats on the playback file, these are always compressed, the live component out is not on some cameras, in some modes.

tobe wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Video is highly compressed and you can see that clearly if you point to trees while recording,not tested otherways
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4

Wayne12,

On page 12 of the A-HD manual it states that if you have the component out connected to your Tv during recording the video out the component connection is reduced to D1 resolution ( 720 X 480 ) But the camera will record the file to the SD card at 1280 X 720.

So it looks like you cannot get a HD signal out of the camera to another device in the record/camera mode.

Hope this helps you,

Mike
videoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:10 PM   #5

Thanks, I remember this now, is it the same for the HDMI GO and Z300?

The other question is, it says it is reduced during recording, does this mean it is full res when not recording?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 12:27 PM   #6

Wayne,

If I rermember correctly even in standby it is reduced. I had the camera connected to my 42" Plasma one day and noticed that when pointing the camera around the room the picture didnt look as sharp as when I Played back something I recorded.

So I would say the even in standby the resolution is reduced.

I don't know about the other models but I would asume their the same.

Mike

videoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:51 PM   #7

OK anyway, at least it is confirmed the AHD has got the bug in all modes. Does it still have lag delay in both modes?

Is standby the stills mode, or is that different?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 1:43 PM   #8

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks an lot for this tobe. I am having an little trouble understanding some things, so if I could clarify.

From what you have said: when camera is in standby, and when filming, their is always an delay between action and HDTV, and there is an big break down in compression in both recorded and standby modes. Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is no time when there is no delay, or no compression?

Thanks for the stats on the playback file, these are always compressed, the live component out is not on some cameras, in some modes.

tobe wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The other question is, it says it is reduced during recording, does this mean it is full res when not recording?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes,i believe so because my plasma monitor displays this kind of information

when camera isnt recording it displays 720P

when recording it changes 480P mode

There is quite big motion delay (aiptek lcd )

There is some motion delay standart/HD picture (in plasma screen) standby and record mode but it seem to be same(clapping hands together)

That wavy effect is always present.

Camera has two separate buttons photo & camcorder its always standby when on.

HD video out changes to 480P mode when taking photo or recording something.

tobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 2:07 AM   #9

Thanks for this Tobe, it is hard to interpret these things sometimes because multiple things can be causing it. For instance, an delay is common with compression, but could be caused by other processing, even the Plasma display itself. Was there delay with other cameras (an number of older SD cameras have no compression delay on their av outputs)?

Also, compression can be done so fast as to have little perceivable delay on the TV (but I doubt the complexity of H264 compression would allow this).

In these cases, the only thing to do is check for motion related compression artifacts, blocking, or shallowing of contrast in image details (depending on what sort of compression and how low the rate).

> when camera isn't recording it displays 720P
What frame rate did it display on the plasma?

Conclusion, it downgrades resolution during recording, and always has some sort of delay (that might, or possibly might not, indicate compression).

If it is compression caused delay, or has icons and other information over the video during standby, it would be totally unsuitable for this sort of recording.

I will have to look at non Aiptek camera.

Rolling shutter
----------------

If the wavy impression you are reporting, makes moving objects slant more the faster they move, then it is what is called "rolling shutter", which is when display lines are read one line at an time while the remaining lines are still collecting light. This causes causing objects to appear to move further in each subsequent line. If the rolling shutter is operating at the frame rate, it is quiet an bit, even at double the rate it is noticeable.