Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:46 PM   #51

rypeters5 wrote:
Quote:
while others are leaving the original mic in and just adding a jack so that you can plug a higher quality mic in. I like this second way the best, as it looks simple enough. I particularly liked the last picture, with the small black box on top, the jack. Does this really help the quality of the microphone?
I placed the mic jack facing forward and added a mini detachable laptop mic.
In that configuration, the mic faces forward toward the subject, and you cant hear me from behind the camera as well as the normal inside the camera mic.
It works well. I'd say it works better than my previous try in using a low powered mic.

http://www.vimeo.com/994164

88impact_blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:29 AM   #52

Excellent job the pc lap mic works like a charm a louder and a lil clearer sound.

have you tied placing thecam walking away a gooddistance and seeingif it picks up any voice in a room , open area outside etc? being near the cam will always pick up a voice being in an open out door shot will be the test for me?

88impact_blue88 wrote:
Quote:
rypeters5 wrote:
Quote:
while others are leaving the original mic in and just adding a jack so that you can plug a higher quality mic in. I like this second way the best, as it looks simple enough. I particularly liked the last picture, with the small black box on top, the jack. Does this really help the quality of the microphone?
I placed the mic jack facing forward and added a mini detachable laptop mic.
In that configuration, the mic faces forward toward the subject, and you cant hear me from behind the camera as well as the normal inside the camera mic.
It works well. I'd say it works better than my previous try in using a low powered mic.

http://www.vimeo.com/994164
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:14 PM   #53

Wow that sounds incredible compared to what I'm using right now. I'm going to watch your video again, but could you tell me the exact model name of that laptop microphone you got?

Also, I have another question. Should I update my camera to latest firmware update? I think the latest is 2.002 like you said, but I hear bad things happen when you update it. Right now I'm using the firmware that it shipped with, whatever it is 1.6 or something like that. It sounds like the 2.002 firmware works well for your camera.

So the steps I need to take to increase the quality of my camera's audio are,

1. Find an old 1/8'' jack (I have an old computer that may have one)

2. Follow the tutorials to solder the jack to the motherboard. I guess the best way is to leave the original microphone in the camera and just solder the jack to the same location. (My dad has experience soldering so I'll probably let him do it.)

3. Bring the wires that connect to the external jack through the plastic cover piece, close up the camera and attach the jack to the plastic cover piece, which is facing to the front. Hot Glue it down and make it look nice.

4. Buy this mini laptop microphone and plug it in when you want better audio. When plugged in it automatically disconnects the internal mic? When unplugged the internal mic takes over.

Thanks for all of your help and I hope this works. I'm not starting anything until I have all the pieces ready.

Also, I want to buy a wide-angle lens for my camera, and saw one that fits perfectly to the camera, by just sticking using magnetism. Here's the URL:

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews...glelens/219970

It looks like it works pretty well.

Again thanks for your time and information and I look forward to hearing back from anyone who has advice.

EDIT***

88Impact is this the mic you got from Target. It looks a little different from what you had, and it doesn't look like the mic can come apart like you did in your video. Nevermind, I found it here:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/G...Microphone.htm
http://www.target.com/PC-Microphone-...one&page=1
rypeters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:02 PM   #54

if there is a tutrial can youpost it in a seperate topic thanks
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:36 PM   #55

rypeters5 wrote
Quote:

2. Follow the tutorials to solder the jack to the motherboard. I guess the best way is to leave the original microphone in the camera and just solder the jack to the same location. (My dad has experience soldering so I'll probably let him do it.)
Remember that you've got to at least cut one of the leads off the orginal mic.

I'll answer any questions and provide any Vimeo test links for Fishycomics in the orginal tutoral post in this forum.

Here:
forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=586888&forum_id=92
Old Jun 22, 2008, 9:03 PM   #56

Right, I'll make sure to follow your tutorial closely in the other thread you provided.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:06 PM   #57

Hey, another question. Should I upgrade my camera to 2.002? I understand that the upgrade cuts down on the zoom of the camera, and decreases the volume of the mic so it's less likely to distort?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:40 PM   #58

Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:21 PM   #59

rypeters5 wrote:
Quote:
Hey, another question. Should I upgrade my camera to 2.002? I understand that the upgrade cuts down on the zoom of the camera, and decreases the volume of the mic so it's less likely to distort?
If you are dead set planning to hack the mic to add a jack, I'd wait to do the JACK mod 1st before changing from 1.6 to 2.002.

2.002 really lowers the sound dB.

I orignally had a 1.6 fw version, but had to return it back because the orginal battery could not keep a charge (bad quality control on Aiptek's side). It seems a little too sensitive and the mic audio would breakup or clip if my three children talked at the same time excitedly. The piano would buzz sound like an electric guitar (can't handle the harmonics), but It was great in interviewing in coversation level with my kids, but when I talked behind the camera it would be significantly loud.

I made a store exchange at a Different Target store, and ended up having a firmware 1.5 fw. I noticed that this older version had lower sensitity dB. The piano would not buzz like a guitar, but would still clip when played at moderately load levels. however during interview conversation level, it would be hard to hear my children talk to the camera at a distance more than 4 feet. When I talked be hind the camera, it was not as significantly loud.

It seems that that with Fishys orginal firmware (don't know which version) it was not sensitive engough, by the time they got 1.5 they raised the sentivity some cliping an buzzing would occur, after 1.6 fw they raisied it even to higher sensitivity. Then complains of buzzing and too much sensitivy started happening and they lowered it alot in 2.002 and fixed the misleading zoom labling, increased sharpness of the picture at the expense of then having noise streaks at low light levels.

I upgraded to 2.002 from 1.5, its a mixed bag. I did it to get the better zoom.

Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:39 PM   #60

Thanks. I think I'm going to add the external jack first. I just ordered that GE detachable PC Microphone that you used - I found one on Amazon for like 11 dollars brand new. So I'll test this out with firmware 1.6, and if it still sounds pretty bad, then I'll upgrade it to firmware 2.002.