Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:19 AM   #61

Local Target 9.99 plus state tax

rypeters5 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I think I'm going to add the external jack first. I just ordered that GE detachable PC Microphone that you used - I found one on Amazon for like 11 dollars brand new. So I'll test this out with firmware 1.6, and if it still sounds pretty bad, then I'll upgrade it to firmware 2.002.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:22 AM   #62

As the thread is super helpful with info of this mod. this topic will continue , just be aware we'll open a new one and clear up all the confussion with the mic mod.

any suggestions can still be posted.

I feel it is time to get a fix, a handel on this and show how simple it is to do. thanks to our member and members 88impact........ and others.........
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:41 AM   #63

rypeters5 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks. I think I'm going to add the external jack first. I just ordered that GE detachable PC Microphone that you used - I found one on Amazon for like 11 dollars brand new. So I'll test this out with firmware 1.6, and if it still sounds pretty bad, then I'll upgrade it to firmware 2.002.
The 1.6 will be more sensitive and you may be happy with the sound levels during conversation with some one 8-15 feet away and indoors, a single child speaking lines in a school play, outdoor music consert (low SPl, low dB to mid level),

but maybe unhappy during much louder sound levels with a wide sound range because of microphone breakup buzz, or sound clipping during such as in a crowded bar, indoor music/singing concert.

88impact_blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:25 PM   #64

Alright, I'd like to ask for one last final piece of advice from you guys before I decide to mod my camera. I believe my camera is still under warranty, and if I mod it then I'll lose the warranty. So should I update the firmware to 2.002 before hand? However, I want to see if the external mic that I'm getting will work better without upgrading to 2.002 - which supposedly kills the video quality in low level light.

If I upgrade the firmware and something goes wrong, then I can send it it. But if I mod it then upgrade the firmware and something goes wrong then I can't sent it in.

rypeters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 7:41 PM   #65

Loading new firmware will only allow you to go foward not back.

if the camera is in perfect order and spoken you may request an older version, but you will most likely recieve a refurbishedunit

going backwardsare no longer

so its your option to decide if a mod is for you.

I on the other hand will be modded by this weekend, not updating a-hd+'s Fw

i shall accept it for an improvement. I may opt for a sony mic.

I understand it's a decision to have 4x zoom, more internal memory, lower -db hiss, and added artifacts to the video. less/more sharpness, grain etc. never knwing the true answer

rypeters5 wrote:
Quote:
Alright, I'd like to ask for one last final piece of advice from you guys before I decide to mod my camera. I believe my camera is still under warranty, and if I mod it then I'll lose the warranty. So should I update the firmware to 2.002 before hand? However, I want to see if the external mic that I'm getting will work better without upgrading to 2.002 - which supposedly kills the video quality in low level light.

If I upgrade the firmware and something goes wrong, then I can send it it. But if I mod it then upgrade the firmware and something goes wrong then I can't sent it in.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 6:25 AM   #66

Hi,
hope this thread is still active. Anyone who has done this mod on a HD-DV 1080P (the one with zoom, AHD Z500 in europe, the one that is on fishycomics picture)??? Or oppened the cam for other reasons??? The design of the Z500 cam is rather different. Eg it seems the mic is on the back of the LCD panel... I want to add a microphone jack(because the built in mic is pretty useless). And I noticed too late that the new Z600 has already a mic jack build in (and nearly same price, at least here in europe).
hdtvgr is offline   Reply With Quote