Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 4, 2007, 5:28 AM   #1

I buy from an e-bayers a A-HD camera, have firmware 1.302 Aug 18 2007 Model V5V (AV Input enabled )

I have send a request to Aiptek for latest firmware, i hope they send to me the USA Version and not the European (av input disabled)

the latest firmware is not downgradable ?
the microphone gain some quality?

Sorry for a separate thread, i have created this for help other persons more fastly without to try the information inside of other greater messages.

Thank you

bye
hentero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:15 AM   #2

I received the firmware upgrade from aiptek on 12/7/2007( FW 1XXX TO FW 2xxxx)

They sent me this to correct a problem with signal loss when recording VHS tape while connected to a VCR. The upgrade did not help. When I connect to the vcr the aiptek A-HD loses the signal intermittently (wether you are recording or viewing). I have to disconnect the cable from the AV in port on the camera, reconnect and then select AV-In from the menu to resume.

Has anyone else succesfully tested this functionality? Recording from ATSC, NTSC tv's and DVD has no problem...only video tape.
BTW I returned the original camera and got another...same result. I tried different SD cards and two different VCR's, same results. I wonder if a newer VCR would make a difference???

Apologise in advance if I have posted incorrectly, it's my first one.

[/b]

[/b]
ymwinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:58 AM   #3

ym. welcome

It may or may not be a firmware issue?

I also have simular issues with what you're expeirencing.
can only recommend that w try it this way.

Turn on the A-Hd, allow to innitiate to av input, then for regular tvshows we record and allowed to change channals. All will work perfect.

Now when you'r ready for Vhs I believe once we hitt he play it will run. do not try t ffw or Rew, that wil interrupt the signal. it is not an old machine it is asignal loss.

I have fooled around with a few scenerio's and understand thef rustration.

I recieved a crash with a white screen, a return to the camcorder, andeven feedback back to the tv. hope I have helpped out?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:51 PM   #4

I will play with it again tonight. I should probably clean the heads of the VCR also before retesting...something I should have thought about earlier as a basic troubleshooting step.

Thanks for the feedback, F
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:16 PM   #5

hit play on the vcr first then the A-Hd second. but it will reset if opposite. and all other times. best to do some testing.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:07 PM   #6

The Good news:
I went and picked up a VCR head cleaning tape and ran it in the VCR. I then connected the A-HD to the tv's RCA out jacks. I discovered, to avoid whitescreening, it's best to play the tape and then connect the RCA cable to the AV in jack on the camera then select AV in from the A-HD's menu. I managed to record about an Hour and a half or so of a VHS tape. The playback quality was actually better than the original VHS tape, not DVD quality, but still noticeably better than VHS.

The Bad:
Like I said, I managed to record about 1 1/2 hours of VHS but at some point the signal was lost. As this was an unattended recording it would have taken some time to figure out at what point the signal was lost...rewind the tape and start recording again. And..bear in mind I would also have another file..and if I had proceeded would have had to jump through some additional hoops to join the files into one. What a pain..can't be bothered with all that nonsense, really.

The not so Ugly:
For the price, the AH-D is awesome. It takes some nice video and jpeg's and, to be honest, for what I paid there can be no complaints ($128 at Target-black Friday special).
But here is the thing: Aiptek have made a pretty big deal about marketing this thing as being able to record from any device with RCA out jacks. They bold print this on their website and in their marketing media. The fact is, it doesn't do this reliably and it doesn't appear as if it will ever be stable recording VHS. They really should have focused on what it does well..it's a bloody nice, small, point and shoot Hi-Def camcorder that takes what the average consumer would view as great quality video...and it's tapeless. There was no need for them to go overboard, just market the thing for what it is good at. No brainer, really.

I'll probably keep the camera...but it's going to bother me that I can't use it to reliably get those VHS tapes copied...because Aiptek said I could.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:32 AM   #7

ymwinusa ha scritto:
Quote:
I received the firmware upgrade from aiptek on 12/7/2007( FW 1XXX TO FW 2xxxx)

They sent me this to correct a problem with signal loss when recording VHS tape while connected to a VCR. The upgrade did not help. When I connect to the vcr the aiptek A-HD loses the signal intermittently (wether you are recording or viewing). I have to disconnect the cable from the AV in port on the camera, reconnect and then select AV-In from the menu to resume.

Has anyone else succesfully tested this functionality? Recording from ATSC, NTSC tv's and DVD has no problem...only video tape.
BTW I returned the original camera and got another...same result. I tried different SD cards and two different VCR's, same results. I wonder if a newer VCR would make a difference???

Apologise in advance if I have posted incorrectly, it's my first one.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #666666"
Quote:
Hello
Quote:
I have the same problem with the acquisition of a VideoTape, i have tried with D1 (not 720 HD acquisition) and the problems are reduced but not totaly resolved.
Quote:
I hope in a future firmware upgrade :sad:

Quote:
[/b]

[/b]
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:39 AM   #8

To be fair, VHS video tapes are often a problem for video capture devices in general. When capturing from a VHS cassette to a PC using a pinnacle systems analog capture card, sometimes I will get the odd tape that will drop lots of frames etc yet it seems to play back fine. It seems capture devices are more sensitive to a bad timing signal than the VHS player itself. Having said that, it looks like the A-HD stops recording altogether rather than drop frames.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 9:01 AM   #9

You hit the nail on the head RG. If aiptek could fix that it would be awesome..I can live with the dropped frames..Can you imagine not running over to the cam every 5 minutes to check if it's recording....sweet.
I have an ongoing e-mail support conversation with one of Aipteks techs. Hopefully I can get some positive feedback to post.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:15 AM   #10

ymwinusa ha scritto:
Quote:
You hit the nail on the head RG. If aiptek could fix that it would be awesome..I can live with the dropped frames..Can you imagine not running over to the cam every 5 minutes to check if it's recording....sweet.
I have an ongoing e-mail support conversation with one of Aipteks techs. Hopefully I can get some positive feedback to post.
Leave the eventualy progress of the emails, here.

Thank you