Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:23 PM   #1

Well, my Go-Hd crapped out on me a couple weeks ago and it is STILL in the RMA process. Anyway, one thing i really like about my Go-HD is the low light performance. I've owned my Go-HD since late May '07 and before that i used a crappy DV 5900 and it was terrible with just about everything, so the Go-Hd seems absolutely amazing - to my eyes. The water effect doesnt bother me, and the grain effect from using the "low light mode" i think adds a bit of artistic flair. In all, i *love* my Go-HD, despite all the quirks (terrible sound, battery life, s l o w focus, etc).

THAT SAID....

I looked at the Sanyo HD700 review thread and downloaded all of the video clips. My mouth literally dropped. By far and away the HD700 is superior to my Go-HD in just about every category. What i did not see, however, was a video clip of very low light *with* the high gain setting. Now, as mentioned earlier, my tolerance for graininess is quite high - i really just want to see whats going on.

Does anyone know if the Sanyo HD700 is superior to the Aiptek GO-HD in low light situations? I am thinking about... no... I *will* sell my Go-Hd on ebay when it gets back and pick one of these up NOW so i can film family etc during the holidays.

P.S. Not quite as important... BUT, If you also know, which one has a wider field of view when not zoomed?

Thank you guys much.
Type2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2007, 6:54 PM   #2

Anyone have experience with BOTH the Go-Hd and the HD700??? Anyone?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:13 AM   #3

Type2, did you find out anything, or compared low light clips from the Sanyo? I would suggest going over to dvinfo.net and check out the Sanyo forum, as they usually link to heaps of clips and do an fair bit of testing.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:51 PM   #4

Thanks!

Screw it... I bought the Sanyo HD700 last night for $299 off amazon - I got the silver one. I ordered two day shipping (only 6 bucks more) and it will be here tomorrow.

Then "I" will tell YOU guys how it does versus the Go-HD in *low light* situations.

:G
Old Dec 14, 2007, 12:41 AM   #5

Type2 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks!

Screw it... I bought the Sanyo HD700 last night for $299 off amazon - I got the silver one. I ordered two day shipping (only 6 bucks more) and it will be here tomorrow.

Then "I" will tell YOU guys how it does versus the Go-HD in *low light* situations.

So...how does it do? I just picked up a GO-HD for the low-light performance, but I'm tempted by the (seemingly periodic) HD700 sales....
Marcus Alzona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 11:53 AM   #6

Marcus Alzona wrote:
Quote:
Type2 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks!

So...how does it do? I just picked up a GO-HD for the low-light performance, but I'm tempted by the (seemingly periodic) HD700 sales....
All right guys - to anyone who cares:

FIRST: I have a VERY high tolerance for "noise" when it comes to low light situations. Your tolerance may be much lower than mine. The reason why i really dug the Go-HD is because i felt it had a fantastic look and feel for what i was trying to accomplish - recording live music in dingy bars with only stage lights and recording friends/family. The live music thing would not work out because the Go-HD has serious microphone issues.

SECOND: I have only used this camera on AUTO. I have not delved into the myriad settings this thing offers, aside from using the 'high sensitivity' mode and messing with the ISO settings.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++

I am VERY impressed. It is much more sensitive to low light IMHO - It can focus much easier during low light (and overall). The only thing that the Go-HD has over it in my opinion is that the super sensitive mode on the Go-HD looks *cooler* - it is more of a pastel cartooney thing (CMOS chip?). For some reason, i kinda dig that. Obviously, that *feature* is not for everyone, and quite frankly, that *feature* was only good when it was in focus (rarely) and not constantly searching, growling, and making noise. The HD700's super sensitive mode does add a lot of digital noise and drops the framerate.

THAT SAID - i am selling my Go-HD (when it comes back from RMA). The audio is one bajillion times better than the Go-HD - i cant stress that enough. The sound is so much better, it makes me wish i could re-record all my old clips (memories) with the HD700. There are many many times looking back over my old videos from the Go-HD that i just couldnt hear what the heck people were saying. Sad.

Going over videos i made last night (on the HD700) - we were putting up christmas lights in my house, stereo blaring and low lights, all the audio came in great - my voice didnt overpower the camera, other people's voices were picked up great, and even the stereo could be heard in the background. It had a very "balanced" and natural feel. I am so happy!

In sum, the low light is tremendously better than my Go-HD. I was shooting on AUTO mode on the HD700 and didnt need to activate the super sensitive mode. If I had the option of having the Go-HD's sensitive mode transplanted on the HD700 i wouldnt have a thing to cry about (or at least have it be an option). Again, the HD700's High Sensitivity mode is superior to the Go-HD's *unless* you want cartooney characters and out-of focus video. Looking back over the video, the framerate doesn't slow down nearly as bad as the Go-HD's and is quite palatable.

I would buy the HD700 again in a heartbeat. The AIPTEK is a TOY, this is NOT a toy.

The ultimate test will be when i record a live show downtown and see if the microphone farts out like the Go-HD. BTW, anything remotely loud - i.e. stereo, amplifier, driving in a car (!!) will make the Go-HD's microphone peak. I have an old crappy RCA DV camera, and for some reason, i could stand next to a stack of amps and that thing would never fart out audio wise. I cant wait to test this camera out on live music.

I hope this has helped anyone on the fence b/w the Go-HD an the HD700!
Old Dec 15, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7

Type2 toally agree.

i can live with the toy LOL, I am very happy. I would have kept the sanny but not worth mekeeping if other stuff doesnotwork ofr me. it is bestto see if one has the hardware and software for either model. now on the sanny my mic level was always to its left alwayshigher hmmm. HS I guess is for Neon lighting and vivid stuff.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote