Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:03 PM   #11

IF only that was within my budget....
Yulaw2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 11:20 PM   #12

What happened to digilife being in this game?
http://cgi.ebay.com/9-in-1DDV-5120A-...sid=p1638.m118
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-0-LCD-mini-DV-...sid=p1638.m118
Like these two?
they look promising
but i cannot find any reviews on any Digilife camera...
Old Dec 17, 2007, 7:31 AM   #13

musteks used to be the talk of the town, at one time I have a number of reviews of musteks, Ispan, aiptek DXG,

Digilife cannot find anywhere or met my needs if you like I be very happy to do one if given to me:G

if asked my SGspirit had one and if placed hisreview it be less videos and picture all text.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 3:12 PM   #14

Wait for CES in Las Vegas which is coming up on the 7th. There will probably be all kinds of new HD cameras announced there and probably a lot of hybrids due to the success of the Aiptek ones. Aiptek might be likely to introduce a new model or two. Probably with a better microphone (which is what they get hit on the most with the A-HD). The US is going HDTV so people want cameras that fill up those 16:9 screens in stunning hi-def. And the cheaper the better.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2007, 8:06 PM   #15

o gosh....thats in such a long time haha
what about Christmas!!
why isnt it in time for christmas
i was just about ready
to throw down the money
for a DigiLife DDV1100
and now look what you got me to do....
change my mind....

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:15 AM   #16

Yulaw2k2,

The first of your links is for the Digilife DDV-5120A. That camera, despite the odd case, is quite good with many features. BUT, it has an inferior microphone. If you're not worried about capturing low-volume audio, and don't want an optical zoom, it does everything else. I don't like the fact that some important controls, such as image stabilization, default to OFF every time you power it off. I like using IS, but often don't have time to fuss around in the menus to turn IS on. By that time, the thing I wanted to video is gone/done. It's the nature of video that the subject matter often is temporary, and I need IS, fast. I posted a thorough review of the 5120A about 10 months ago.

Your second link is for Digilife's DDV-995 /aka 1100. About the only thing I can see wrong with it is the lack of an optical zoom. But since no owners of it have reported in, we don't know if it has other failings. Odd that they are selling for more on eBay than the 7300/730.

I gather the more expensive hybrids take better video. But they lack many of the functions of the Digilife/Mustek/Aiptek cams, and their output files are large. My pc is already maxing out creating 1-hr movies with the video files from the cheaper cams. I also use my cameras in situations where loss or damage is likely, so I don't want to lose/wreck a more costly camera.

There are a couple of DDV-7300's on eBay right now, but they're shipping out of Aisa. I've never bid on anything coming from offshore since in my mind that would raise the risk factor, and eBay is risky enough to begin with. Shipping would tend to be expensive. Another 7300 came onto eBay last week and sold for around $185. For me, the 7300's lack of mp3 and video-in are problems. There are no reviews of it yet, either.

eBay seller 3cdigital had a DDV-730 for sale early this month. I gather it's similar to the 7300, but while the 7300 has a 3" screen, standard flash, Panasonic sensor and face recognition, but no mp3; the 730 has a 2.5" screen, led flash, Sony sensor and mp3, but no face recognition. Both are 7Mp ccd sensors, have 3x optical zooms and have no video-in ports. To me, the 730 is worth more than the 7300.

No one bid for the 730 at a starting price of $190, and the ad came and went before I noticed it. It was offered again last week with a starting price of $140, and timed out last evening. Someone outbid me at $193, but within a few minutes I was offered the camera for a "second chance". "Second chance" happens when the seller has another such item available, or the top bidder cannot complete the purchase. After verifying the "second chance" was not a fraudster, I completed the transaction.

I was a little unhappy at paying my maximum bid for the camera. My problem, not the seller's. The other bidder ran up the price about $50, and if they then couldn't buy the camera, it cost me a lot. But if this is for an additional camera, then I guess I just have to accept that I'm not getting a cheap deal this time. It was in the back of my mind that these cameras may typically sell for even more when they become commonly available. Alternatively, it's possible the supply could dry up completely and I'd have to wait for some other camera to come along. After paying full freight I will be really annoyed if the 730 has some major flaw like the 5120A did. 3cdigital seems to be a reputable seller and others here have bought from her.

Due to my schedule and other matters, I won't have the camera until mid-January, so unfortunately it will be a few weeks before I can report on it. I'll be keeping either my Digilife DDV-920 or 5120A so I'll still have a cam with the video-in function.

I know I regrettably annoy some by not offering sample videos or stills. My problem is that I know how much the images depend on subject matter, processing and photographer skill. I never consider samples unless they are done in a controlled environment such as for professional reviews. And of course the pros almost never sample these cameras. The other test I feel is valid is if someone sets up two cameras the same way, and takes the same shot at the same time.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:40 AM   #17

http://cgi.ebay.com/DDV-7300-3X-opti...QQcmdZViewItem

Ive decided on that camera...
i was really impressed by the video quality on the site

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:46 AM   #18

thanks for the responce sgspirit
Now your making me not want to buy that camera
which would be 240$....
which is quite alot...
but i REALLY want a camera of my own while im away at college
and christmas is here...
so im not paying for most of it haha.
But i dont understand why you prefer the 730 over the 7300
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:26 AM   #19

The 7300 has:
Panasonic sensor -
Face recognition +
3" screen +
nicer looking case +

The 730 has:
Sony sensor +
Motion detection +
MP3 +++
2.5" screen -
LED flash +
text file display +

Congratulations on ordering the 7300. I'm sure you'll like it, and it will be very interesting to compare notes after we get our cameras.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 1:43 AM   #20

The Digilife website says this about the 7300 on the main page
  • Digital Video Camcorder[/*]
  • Digital Camera[/*]
  • USB 2.0 Webcam[/*]
  • Digital Voice Recorder[/*]
  • Music Player/ Mass Storage Device[/*]
  • eBook(Support TXT file)[/*]
  • PMP/ Motion Detection[/*]
So hopefully it plays music, it'll be nice to have a good webcam to stickam on haha and not using Eyetoy for playstation as a webcam....
Hopefully it fits well in my pocket