Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:02 PM   #11

Fishy, I just saw that firmware tech sheet you posted and it mentions a stabilizer...is that as in image stabilizer? Does it have one built-in but is just not switchable? Wouldn't think it had one judging from the shaky image (twitchy more appropriate?)
LACAMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:09 PM   #12

LACAMGUY,

You're preaching to the choir here :lol:

If you have ever dealt with their support, you'd soon get an idea of what kind of company they seem to be. They are not a particularly large company and (just as hdguy said) really try to avoid support if they can.

As to updates, I agree with hdguy, it may be easy and obvious to us, but the type of person who these devices are marketed too, generally are not very technical so it's asking for trouble.

Having said that, even when they are dealing with a technically competent person, things sometimes go wrong as well, then they have the hassle of what to do with a bricked device and a small company needs to keep returns down to an absolute minimum. Also, how do you know whether the device got bricked through no fault of your own and was just a faulty firmware file? They'd have to take the benefit of the doubt as well in that case.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:12 PM   #13

LACAMGUY wrote:
Quote:
Fishy, I just saw that firmware tech sheet you posted and it mentions a stabilizer...is that as in image stabilizer? Does it have one built-in but is just not switchable? Wouldn't think it had one judging from the shaky image (twitchy more appropriate?)
No that's not for the A-HD. It's for another Aiptek model. He was just using it as an example. Also just look at the firmware dates. Remember the A-HD only came out this year.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:30 PM   #14

I have dealt with their tech support and, yes, they leave much to be desired. If they are a small company trying to do big things, all I can say is that they gotta try harder. We're not talking about some mom n' pop pizzeria competing with the Pizza Hut down the street. If Aiptek wants to eventually fully immerse itself in competition with the big dogs (and I think they do, otherwise they'd stick to being an online merchant and not expose themselves in all the big chains like CC, BB, and Target), then they have to step up their game bigtime.

Rgvcam, thanks for clarifying what that sample page was.

If I am preaching to the choir, its only because I'm hoping someone from Aiptek is reading and gets something constructive out of it. So to the choir: please bear with me.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 7:39 PM   #15

Just a bit of credit to Aiptek after all this criticism I've bestowed - the tech support number they have is in Orange Co., CA and the guy I spoke to definitely didn't sound like some bound-to-a-service manual, pre-planned response CSR from India. Nice to know that some things are still handled on U.S. soil.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 8:03 PM   #16

Yes a sample of the IS-DV. pointing out what issues, the sheet is two pages long not just that.

I can live with certain issues.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 9:41 PM   #17

LACAMGUY wrote:
Quote:
Just a bit of credit to Aiptek after all this criticism I've bestowed - the tech support number they have is in Orange Co., CA and the guy I spoke to definitely didn't sound like some bound-to-a-service manual, pre-planned response CSR from India. Nice to know that some things are still handled on U.S. soil.
One of the guys there, that both fishycomics and I dealt with seems pretty reasonable and you do get the sense he has his hands tied behind his back with what limited stuff he is able to achieve. The first guy I got and kept getting at times was downright rude and was obviously trying to shrug me off as quickly as possible!
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:43 PM   #18

Yea, I think I dealt with the same impatient guy. But I think I prefer him over some overseas CSR who keeps me on the phone for an hour, asking me endless irritating pre-planned questions + responses, only to tell me at the very end, "After careful consideration of your issue, I conclude that your unit is defective and needs to be taken in for servicing."

Makes me want to get a degree in Electronics so I can fix these things myself.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 10:45 PM   #19

could u plz post me the link for downloading firmware ...plzzzzzzzzz

thanks

pankaj:?
pankajreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:08 PM   #20

You have to contact Aiptek tech support via phone or email...info is on the Aiptek website. They can then email you the update files.

If you do go ahead with the update, let me know how it worked for you. Maybe my experience is just one of those odd occurrences.