Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:44 PM   #11

Do you think that will not be wavy? I also would look into a other company and see if the SOUND is better. DXG , hanshingare a great company with extra filters love to see what comes out soon
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:49 PM   #12

to top it off get this one called exemode you'll pay 100.00 over the DXG price and it's the same camcorder lol

http://digitalcameras.techfresh.net/...as/camcorders/

Here is the Exemode DV580HD, a 720p, h264 camcorder.It comes with 32MB of built-in memory, compatibility with SD and SDHC cards, and cost a high $222. You'd be better off buying a Sony in that case!

Read the rest of this entry ยป
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:58 PM   #13

Fishy,

I suspect the 720p video from the forthcoming DXG-566V probably *will* be wavy, too, just like the video recorded by my Logitech QuickCam Pro (and my Aiptek ISDV2.4).

These Chinese camcorders are essentially Web cam sensors inside lightweight plastic camcorder shells.

Private Idaho

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Do you think that will not be wavy?
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:25 PM   #14

only UNWAVY ones are the nxt step models Economy Hybrids will be just that.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 10:27 PM   #15

rivate Idaho wrote:
Quote:

The Sanyo VPC-CG6

I've not explored all of the menu options to see if one can manually control the audio gain.

Private Idaho
In anticipation of getting the Sanyo, I've downloaded and read the manual pretty carefully. I saw no mention of adjusting the mic's gain.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:22 AM   #16

Yes, I just picked up my manual and looked through it and I couldn't find anything either.

This "hiss" only becomes apparent -- as I mentioned earlier -- when one is recording video in very quiet environments.

The sound quality seems fine when one is recording in environments with plenty of activity.

And... it's 48KHz, 16-bit, stereo.

Not the 11.025kHz, 16-bit, mono that one gets with Aiptek models.

I have a Sony high definition AVCHD camcorder and it's great... almost perfect... except I had to pay several hundred for it.

Good file-based high definition camcorders are still very expensive.

These "economy hybrids" should help encourage the Japanese manufacturers to lower their prices or risk losing customers who just can't afford to spend much more than $500.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:23 AM   #17

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Instead of 48KHz, the Aiptek ISDV2.4 records audio at a paltry 11.025KHz!

And it's monaural... not stereo!
The fact that it is monaural doesn't bother me at all. The microphones on the Sanyo are so close together they might as well be mono. I think it is almost more marketing than it is actually usefull.

The fact that it is 11 Khz doesn't even bother me that much. 11 Khz is fine for voice and is just about what you'd get over a standard analog phone line. I consider 22 Khz to be minimal for any audio track containing music, though.

What stinks on the IS-DV2 is the microphone and associated electronics. It is just extreemly cheaply built. I think they are using a very cheap ADC, and a cheap mic, plus the firmware doesn't handle gain changes well either. Oh, and did I mention the placement of the microphone sucks?

Oh.. By the way, I'd love to see some raw sample video from your IS-DV2.4, can you make some available or send some to me video email? It supports the D1 mode, right? I want to analyze the video on your model, since it is upgraded from mine. It would be great to have the two cameras side by side and take the same sample videos to compare.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:31 AM   #18

How did you check that or found out?

the Hiss is a EMBEDDED hiss you'll neverget rid of it unless you edit. on all sanyos and pronounced more on the AIpteks, A-HD.

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I just picked up my manual and looked through it and I couldn't find anything either.

This "hiss" only becomes apparent -- as I mentioned earlier -- when one is recording video in very quiet environments.

The sound quality seems fine when one is recording in environments with plenty of activity.

And... it's 48KHz, 16-bit, stereo.

Not the 11.025kHz, 16-bit, mono that one gets with Aiptek models.

I have a Sony high definition AVCHD camcorder and it's great... almost perfect... except I had to pay several hundred for it.

Good file-based high definition camcorders are still very expensive.

These "economy hybrids" should help encourage the Japanese manufacturers to lower their prices or risk losing customers who just can't afford to spend much more than $500.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:05 PM   #19

Different strokes for different folks.

That's your opinion.

I strongly disagree with you.

While your comment regarding the "cheapness" of the components may be true, it masks the more fundamental truth.

The more fundamental truth is that 48KHz, 16-bit stereo microphones and associated components are generally higher quality -- de facto -- over the ultra-cheap "telephone" quality, 11.025KHz components.

Look, I've worked in television for more than a decade and I'm not going to argue with you about something so basic.

I really am surprised you made a comment like that.

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:The fact that it is monaural doesn't bother me at all.* The microphones on the Sanyo are so close together they might as well be mono.[/quote]
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:09 PM   #20

Fishy,

The hiss is a function of automatic *gain.*

The noise floor of the microphone is elevated only in quiet environments.

That means it is embedded when you record in quiet environments.

When you don't record in quiet environments, then the "hiss" is much less of a problem because the noise floor of the microphone is lowered to accommodate the recording of the sound from the ambient environment.

Private Idaho

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
[Hiss is a EMBEDDED