Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:58 PM   #31

I'm afraid it would settle very little for me.

I see no need to down-convert your Sanyo audio in such a test.

Just post a raw clip.

I'll listen to that and that will tell me all I need to know.

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
I have a way to settle this argument.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:09 PM   #32

One more complaint about my Sanyo VPC-CG6.

The headphone jack.

Unless I've failed to find something in the menu to enable it, I am unable to monitor audio as I'm recording video.

Is there a menu item that I'm missing?

Or does this headphone jack only work when one is playing back recordings?

If so, that's pretty lame.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:13 PM   #33

It seems the Aiptek ISDV2.4's headphone jack also does not allow monitoring audio while recording.

Also lame.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:16 PM   #34

Try this.

Try using the "normalize" audio filter on the Aiptek audio.

I think you might be surprised by the improvement.

Yes, the microphone is a little better in the Sanyo, but not that much better.

The Sanyo still falls short of what one finds in Panasonic, Sony, and Canon camcorders.

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:My hypothesis is that the Sanyo will still sound way better than the Aiptek.*
[/quote]
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:20 PM   #35

Please explain your test methodology.

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:the Aiptek IS-DV2 does not record 30 fps.* The specs claim "up to 30 fps" but I have done extensive testing.[/quote]
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:20 PM   #36

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:the Aiptek IS-DV2 does not record 30 fps.* The specs claim "up to 30 fps" but I have done extensive testing.[/quote]
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:30 PM   #37

As I thought.

People who have purchased the Sanyo VPC-HD1000 -- the top of the line Sanyo high definition model -- are complaining about the noise:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=27#839859

So, yes, I suspect this Sanyo noisy audio issue is fairly widespread.

It's just that most people who don't listen for this kind of problem don't detect it because they may not be used to listening to really, really good field audio recordings.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:52 PM   #38

Good news for those who purchased the Sanyo VPC-HD1000.

There's a firmware update available:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/support/index.html

It is supposed to improve the audio.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:56 PM   #39

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
[/quote]
Well, I always suspected just from regular observation. But the easiest way to tell is to import the video into some kind of program that can edit frame-by-frame. For example, I put the camera on a tripod and watched my daughter swing on her swingset for a few minutes. I then imported it into Virtualdub or Adobe Premiere. I will pick a 1-second section somewhere and start looking at the frames. I will count the number of unique frames (where something in the picture has changed) inside of that 1-second time-frame. Then I go to another spot in the same video and do the same thing and maybe a few more sections just to be sure I have a good average. What you will find is that many frames are "doubled up" so the time-marker will move to the next frame in the video editing software, but nothing changes on the screen. The mostunique frames I ever counted was about 20in the 640x480 mode, but the averageis more like 18.

The sanyo delivers a full 30-fps and I'm told the Aiptek A-HD and Go-HD also deliver 30 fps. All of the other aiptek, mustek, and similar type cheap cameras fudge their numbers on the frame rate, just like they do on their "megapixel" ratings.

Don't forget that the Sanyo products don't suffer from the "wavy" problem, either. I do not believe you can buy any digital camcorder product for less than the price of a Sanyo CG6 that does not suffer from this problem, since even the A-HD and Go-HD also have it.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:13 AM   #40

So you seem to be saying the Aiptek video may feature 30 frames per second, but that not all of those frames may be unique.

That may be true.

I've always suspected the Aiptek camcorders were essentially Web cams inside lightweight plastic camcorder shells.

In general, I agree the Sanyo is a better camera -- although I do prefer the quieter audio of my Aiptek ISDV2.4 to the noisier-but-more-sensitive audio of my Sanyo VPC-CG6.

On the other hand, the Sanyo costs way more; so it *should* be better.

I suppose I feel -- more strongly than do you -- that the SANYO should be *much* better than it is currently for that additional price.

One more thing.

Sanyo should consider making a correction to this VPC-CG6 Web page:

http://tinyurl.com/34jn4e

According to that Sanyo page, 'the CG6 also features a dedicated A/V terminal to which you can attach an external microphone (not included) to record movies with high-quality stereo sound."

Unless I've failed to find it, I cannot find any dedicated A/V terminal to which an external microphone can be attached.

This *clearly* seems misleading.

Private Idaho