Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:56 PM   #1

I bought the Aiptek A-HD in October.

Firmware version is V1.302.

Every time I try to capture video via AV in in any resolution, regardless of the source, after 8 seconds, I receive a "file failed" message. The 8 seconds of video plays with audio and video out of sync, with the video either choppy or a slo-mo effect.

The clips I shoot with the camcorder will go beyond the 8 seconds, but generally have the same choppy, slo-mo video.

I don't know if it is a firmware issue or a flash card issue (Lexar Premium 60x 2GB).

Aiptek will not respond to online support forms, 6-7 messages so far, and yes, I have registered my camera with them.

I would really appreciate anyone's input.
jbritterjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2

Welcome JB.......

Hd is not allowed to capture in av input, overlooked CIF forav input as well,since 382x240, I rather keep to 720x480.

8 secs no more the camcorder resets or shuts down? You mention out of synch? how are you getting the signal and what are you using?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gonY0cnzm8A

This was recorded a few hours ago with a vcr on SD regular sd card.

I try using astandard sdcard format in the camcorder. If that does not help firmware is only an upgrade to an existing software. Newer firmware will not fix this issue in my eyes.

but with past troubles, I found that either defaulting the camcorder, may fix the issue, and that was on the MPVr, it gave me codec issues . not vid/synch on av input, if I went to a lower res I got the vid synch/ issues.

Contacting Aiptek by email is realy hard. possably send the same letter to not Aiptek.com but Aiptek.tw.com support and you may get a response from aiptek.com. yes I said itright :G

hope thishelps out
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions.

I have been using the AV cable included with the camera to try to capture video from Satellite receiver, vcr, dvd, etc. I just can't get past the 8 seconds.

Additionally, the video footage in CIF, HD, and DVD resolutions, which I have shot with the camera will go beyond 8 seconds, but playback is choppy and looks like it is in slow motion.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:42 AM   #4

1st . play back on a tv set only , you'll see smooth video,

playing back on the Pc in the camera will be the slowest choppest and aweful viewing.

playon on the Pc will be improved using quicktime may show better , and using a other program wil help improve playback. Box will tell you you needa certain speed on thePC andsp2 sp2 isnot needed but a higher pc is?

As for the Av input I cannotthink of anything else att he moment but default, format and change sd card. dvd player will be fine for testing.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:23 PM   #5

I have a similar problem with my A-HD (ver 1.600) when i pull the files off the camera (shot in hd) the video playback on windows media player has slow motion video but the audio is fine. the sync gets more and more off the longer the video plays.

i try and play it on quicktime and it says the file is not supported. how can that be if its a mov file?

Anyway appart from the computer issues I'm very pleased with the cameras performance. using a 4gb sdhc card i can get over 2 hours of footage. just wish there was a pause feature rather than having to write new files for every recording.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:34 PM   #6

Retro. welcome

is the QT 7.0 or higher? you should be on the latest with H264 codecs.

also must be on a pc not the sd card for a faster play. I find this at times while viewing from the sd reader
Old Dec 27, 2007, 1:00 PM   #7

Quicktime is very bloated and slow. You might want to try downloading GOM player. It is only like 4MB in size and plays everything.

Also. It might be worth asking what kind of computer you have. I have found that for the MPEG4 files from my Sanyo Xacti CG6 I need about 300 Mhz to play the 320x240 resolution files and about 800 Mhz to play the 640x480 resolution files at full speed. The Aiptek A-HD produces much higher than that and also uses the H264 codec which needs even more horsepower to play.

Also.. Having a CPU that is too slow, but just almost fast enough to play them correctly will often result in the video appearing to play correct but the audio sync being off.

One other commonpossibility is that you do not have the correct video drivers installed for your video card. For example, Windows XP will install a VESA driver if it doesn't have the correct one so you can get high-color modes, but you won't get any 2D or 3D accelleration. A good way to check for this would be to click start/run and then type in DXDIAG and go over to the DISPLAY tab and run some tests.

Another possibility is that your computer is infested with spyware or viruses and it is bogging down the CPU. Try hitting control-alt-delete and check your task manager when nothing is running. Find out if the idle-process is over 95%. If it isn't, and something else is running.. that could be the problem.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Contacting Aiptek by email is realy hard. possably send the same letter to not Aiptek.com but Aiptek.tw.com support and you may get a response from aiptek.com. yes I said itright
I just fired off an email to the aiptek.com.tw with my request for support. The phone number given on their website has not been answered by a person or a machine on 4 attempts. How did you ever get firmware if they are this hard to contact?

I'm still having the same difficulties with video capture of anything. Is there a way to "default" to a specific resolution for video capture. I can't bring up any kind of menu or settings once the AV in has been detected.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:26 PM   #9

jbritterjr wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Contacting Aiptek by email is realy hard. possably send the same letter to not Aiptek.com but Aiptek.tw.com support and you may get a response from aiptek.com. yes I said itright

I just fired off an email to the aiptek.com.tw with my request for support. The phone number given on their website has not been answered by a person or a machine on 4 attempts. How did you ever get firmware if they are this hard to contact?

I'm still having the same difficulties with video capture of anything. Is there a way to "default" to a specific resolution for video capture. I can't bring up any kind of menu or settings once the AV in has been detected.
Emails are answered within a reasonable time. it is a Holiday season, that you need to be paitient.

A. the theam has a few members there 3 people cannot mention their names, not allowed.

"B. holiday weall are entitled to them, and since it is the busiest time, I allow a few more days foran answer.

"C. By phone, is the best way. they have a local number, you are not the only one and model out there.

Firmware are not for everyone

"A. they limit who they give to, and must have the ability to flash.

"B. Fixs of firmware , may lead to headache or relief. causing a damaged camera, why they refuse at times to give out.

"C. files are just under 10 meg, if they send sometimes they get returned post domain.

"Av input only records in one setting D1. if recording you may have troubleafter recorded , and a sdcard needs reformatting.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000from Aiptek. and must specify your reason. your feedback will go from Aiptek.USA-to-Aiptek.com.tw and be recorded those who bypass allow a faulty unit still on the market.

"never sounding or being HArsh. I am sure you'll get a Pm and it isup to you. to decide youractions

Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:58 PM   #10

Thank you fishycomics and adric22 for your quick responses.

I originally tested this on a Windows 2000 machine, but realized after your comments that because of Win 2K, I'm unable to update the older versions I have of both QuickTime and Windows Media Player further.

However, after moving everything to an XP machine (that already has current versions of QT and WMP), everything works great.

Thanks for the helpful information.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote