Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:48 AM   #1

I got the Aiptek A-HD for Christmas. I am very impressed with the quality, I've been having some fun and everything. I might upload some video and pictures later when I get away from dial up.

One question though. The A-HD records in MOV format. I can upload the files to my computer, bring them into editing software, etc. The thing is, I can't seem to figure out how to export/convert videos in the right MOV format so that I can put them on the camera. I want to be able to convert movies from the Internet, etc and watch them on the device.

I've tried exporting out of Adobe After Effects in MOV formats with several different compressors, but when I uploaded them to the camera it said they were invalid MOV's.

It looks like the camera uses an "HD-DV" format of some sort. The included CD came with an "HD-DV Decoder," but no "Encoder." Anyone know how I can convert video files?
freelancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 1:46 PM   #2

It's an AVCHD codec which is the variant of MPEG-4. Even if you can find something that encodes AVCHD with a Quicktime MOV wrapper it most likely won't play. I believe that Aiptek is checking for the Ambarella's version of the codec being indicated in the file. That may be due to limitation of Ambarella's decoding engine. Maybe at some point there will be an editor or converted offered that can handle it.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:47 PM   #3

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-con...format-2216913

watch the vid and learn.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:47 PM   #4

Is that the full version or the $2.99 version that Aiptek offers? I actually asked elsewhere if the $2.99 version could create an A-HD playable file but didn't get a good answer.

Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:59 PM   #5

Also what version of firmware is on that camera and can you make that small file available for download somewhere so I can try it on my A-HD as well as look at the file Atoms to see how the codec is set up?

Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:30 PM   #6

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EVAY9V2C

hdguy it is a blueray dvd burner and blueray player it is an editor of cut at the start and at the end add a title that is it it can convert to the camcorder. and that makes it priceless

Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:56 PM   #7

Thanks. I already have two programs that do BluRay authoring and I have a new BluRay player. Looks like you got your hands on a beta version or pre-release as it is not on the ArcSoft site unless you do a search and then you see that version is $160 MSRP or more than the camera and a "keep me updated" button which says the product is not yet available.

All we need is most of the other editors that folks have already purchased and may even have AVCHD encoding in them to do a Quicktime MOV wrapper. VS 11+ does a transport stream wrapper for AVCHD which can play even off a data disk on my Sony BD player. And if you use that file to author your BD with menus, etc in VS then it just remuxes it instead of re-encoding (doesn't work for HD-DVD disks though). I was able to put a 1 hour 48 minute AVCHD file on a dual layer regular DVD authored as BD.

Two little utilities would be handy: 1) to remux any A-HD file to transport stream and 2) to wrap any 720p AVCHD file in a Quicktime MOV wrapper. Number 1 might be possible by hacking open source software like the VLC muxer that can generate transport stream files (probably 188 byte packets) and number 2 maybe by taking the same muxer in VLC and using it to remux the file in a QT wrapper. I may play around with both ideas when I get a chance.

Old Dec 26, 2007, 6:36 PM   #8

I'll keep to the simple stuff. use my mp3 player

and film witht e A-Hd

If that battery was10 hours record/play yes be priceless so going the extra mile no thank you
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:50 PM   #9

Not sure what you mean there.

The clip played on both my A-HD and GO HD. But unless they release a special edition that just handles the conversion back to QT MOV files (leave out the BluRay and other stuff) I think that product is a little high priced for the Aiptek market. So far I've not heard from anyone who purchased QT Pro which is supposed to generate AVC files in a MOV wrapper to see if those worked with the A-HD. That would be a $30 solution if you already have other editors.

Old Dec 27, 2007, 6:40 AM   #10

I basically said too complicated . the 2.99 does a god job, no needfor me with overboard editing