Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:54 PM   #1

I received an A-HD as a gift. It seems pretty nice especially for the price. However, there are 2 annoying white dots that show up on the image when the digital zoom is activated. They "zoom in" as the zoom is activated, and stay in place on the frame for as long as the zoom is activated. I can't notice them when playing back video that was shot without the digital zoom. Because of this, I believe the dots are defects in the image sensor. Since I still have some days to exchange the camera for another, should I do that? Or am I likely to have similar artifacts on the next one? Thanks for any advice.
rbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 2:02 PM   #2

welcme Rbrewer.

I returned bout three of these for reasons and one was a deadpixal on the FILMED tft screen , not LTPS tft screen

Possably that is what you see, or is the lens clean? 2x digital zoom not worth zooming but hey its there

Glad you're finding i to your liking.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:07 PM   #3

Thanks for the thoughts, Fishy. I've cleaned the lens, and the artifact is still there even when filming with the lens cap on, so I think it's a dead pixel on the sensor. Aside from that the quality is good enough for my purposes so I think I'll return it and try my luck with a replacement.

rbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 3:35 PM   #4

Fishy,

What does LTPS mean?

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:04 PM   #5

Low Temperature Polycrystalline Silicon

(Low Temperature PolySilicon TFT LCD) An active matrix (TFT) LCD screen that is more durable and less complex than screens made with amorphous silicon substrates. It allows for densities of 300 dpi and greater, and it is expected to enable all the computing electronics to be built within the screen itself.

The larger and uniform silicon grains of polysilicon (poly-Si) allow electrons to flow more freely than through amorphous silicon (a-Si), which is made up of smaller and randomly sized grains. It allows the normally external driver chips to be fabricated on the glass substrate which dramatically reduces row and column connections.

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:33 PM   #6

Private.

Oldhacer to the rescue thank you

Older models used a better screen or different type. this one seems to washed out or harder to see now thefilm, they should have angled the swical 10-15 degrees more

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote