Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1

Wouldn't you know it.. the one morning I'm in a hurry and run out of the house without a camera.

As I'm driving down the road to work, I notice a strange looking plume of smoke emminating from behind some trees in the distance. It is orange in color, which is very strange. Of course, the sun has just barely peeked over the horizon. Within 30 seconds, I'm close enough to see the source of the fire and suddenly hear sirens. The firetrucks are comming. I realize the only reason the plume looks orange is because the orientation of the sun. As I'm driving by, the firetrucks are pulling up. There was a perfect place I could have pulled over and pulled out the camera - if I had had one. Unfortunatly, if I went home to get one, by the time I got back, the fire would be out, the sun would be well over the horizon, and I'd be late to work.

Normally I'd bring at least my Aiptek with me. I could have taken some videos and still images. The scene was so picturesque, I could have won an award of some kind. Goes to show, ALWAYS BRING A #@&! CAMERA!!!!

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2008, 10:44 AM   #2

If I had a dime for every time that kind of thing has happened to me I could buy you a camera.

Better luck next time
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:28 PM   #3

oh well, bet if you hd that camra, you be without a memory card :G

I had two with me today. did not bring out the A-Hd just filmed with the Sanyo

Today it is thebest time to take a camera with you they are so small, and can be placed anywhere, happy filming
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:35 PM   #4

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Wouldn't you know it.. the one morning I'm in a hurry and run out of the house without a camera.
(snip)
... Goes to show, ALWAYS BRING A #@&! CAMERA!!!!
Exactly.
Hi. Fairly new to these forums. Though I've been reading for a while, now.

I was at my vet recently and one of the young women who work there noticed my little camera bags and asked about them. I told her one camera (an Aiptek IS-DV2+ sits on my dash when I'm driving around) and the other (an Aiptek MPVR+ that I bought fully aware of the audio sync problem) is for other "just in case" moments. She said, "Cool" but I got the impression she found it a bit odd.

I used to carry a small Samsung Digimax with me, but that doesn't do video.
For a while I carried a JVC MiniDV just about everywhere, but it's obviously more cumbersome than these little hybrid critters.

So now I carry the Aipteks and save the JVC for more "preserve it for posterity" type events or for things I could never get with the Aipteks, like the hawk in my backyard recently.

I actually got video of a guy cutting me off big-time recently (the same day I bought the MPVR+) with the ID-DV2+. Edited and uploaded to my YouTube page. Cheap and flawed as they are, I still love these cameras.

No_Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:14 PM   #5

two oletymers stpped me asked me what is that the aiptek pocket dv5300. so small and if noticed the camera is basically covered by a hand.

in a Zoo a person the same hey what is that. just a mustek dv4500 wow gotto write tht down.

on a plane i lost the footage boo hoo pccrash oh well. my camcorder pushed me away from the window while the MPVr was snug against the window. ahd that oppuretunity but filmed the landing temp outside 5 degrees...

yes we'll have stories to tell and they're al good gotta luv em
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:08 PM   #6

Yep, know the feeling well. Last year during lunch hour, I left work to grab a bit. Came to the railroad intersection at the end of main street where main street crosses over the railroad intersection. I look up at the 4 way stop and see an 18 wheeler with a large backhoe on the bed stuck on top of the crossing. The grade was to steep and the middle of the trailer got stuck on the tracks. I look in my rear view mirror and about 1/2 mile back, here comes a train. I reach down to grab my MPVR, and remembered I left it on my desk at home! I was about 20 feet from the semi, So I ran reversed my car and backed up into a parking lot about 100 feet away. The train hit the trailer at about 30 mph, threw the backhoe through a building (which people had just been evacuated from) and derail the train. Engineer got hurt and that was it fortunately. But man, I missed the once in a lifetime video moment! Now, I ALWAYS have a camera in the car with me!
jaggermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:01 PM   #7

This one was taken when I came home with a Nikon dslr in my car many years back. Now I always have the SanyoXacti CG 65 in my pocket every where I go, even when walking in our garden.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:52 AM   #8

jaggermax, if it's any consolation, that makes me feel a lot better about the shots I've missed.

If I wear a helmet cam while bicycle commuting, nothing happens. When I don't wear it, the most outrageous things take place and go unrecorded.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:55 AM   #9

What IS that snake eating? I'm having a hard time making it out.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:52 AM   #10

Looks like a lizard to me. Its head is inside the snake. Ulp.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote