Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:32 PM   #1

Bought the MPVR+ at Target for my 12 year old son for Christmas. The video and audio don't sync. Checked Google and found this site and read of some others that have had a similar problem. Called and emailed Aiptek. Was finally emailed back from their tech support asking to try different video settings. Nothing changed. Finally a firmware was offered but it too did not correct the sync problem. After reporting back to them that it didn't work, communication stopped. I called them today and got a very nice tech support guy by the name of Eric. He says that there seems to be a problem with all the Target shipment that came from Taiwan. Taiwan is mum on the fix and has not fixed the problem. Boy if thats the case, Aiptek will take a big hit. I understand it is a low end digicam company but not providing a timely fix or admitting the problem and subing an alternative product is a formula for pissed off customers. A recall is in order to save face. Sounds like all who bought the MPVR+ are SOL. Hope this helps others. Place a call to Aiptek and complain or fire off and email to Aiptek USA by going to their wesite and click on Contacts and clicking on support. Also Aiptek China should hear too at [email protected] . If we make enough noise maybe we will get a favorable outcome.
lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:43 PM   #2

Les

welcome to the site.

Sit down you may need to even hold o to the seat as well. the Vid andAud synch is 2 plus years old, and they left this for DEAD back in AUG, 2005 did that hurt?:G

the firmware only corrected webcam, shutter and flash. they basically told you and shut you up. . the PVr is the same Model same problem and dumped, made for Bestbuy. the Pk DVr.

What even hurts more it sold for 69.99 plus.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:18 PM   #3

Oh yes.. I'm quite familiar with this issue. In fact, it was one of the primary reasons for me returning the MPVR+ that I had bought back to Target. If you watch my youtube review of that camera, you will see me specifically demonstrate the problem. Granted, it can be corrected with video-editing software, but I don't always edit my video and I prefer to be able to play back home movies as-is and not have to edit them.

We've discussed Aiptek's business model many, many times on this forum. They do not care that the product has certain problems. They actually don't mind returns, because then they just re-sale the product as refurbished on their website and still pull a profit.

Anyway, the IS-DV2 that I have occasionally gets off-sync, but nowhere nearly as bad or as often as the MPVR+ did. overall, I'm happier with the IS-DV2 because it takes roughly the same video quality but is much smaller, takes standard AA batteries (I use rechargeables in it), fits better on a tripod, and I only paid $50 for it, versus $149 for the MPVR+. I think perhaps the MPVR+ actually took slightly better video quality, especially indoors in low-light. But it wasn't much better.

Anyway.. Just know this, there will be no fix. the product is essentially at its end-of-life anyway as they are going to be moving to a new generation of products (A-HD and Go-HD are two of the first) and so they aren't going to spend any more engineering money on this product. It is very likely that it has been out of production for some time and that the ones in stores are just left over stock. During Christmas the price was dropped to as little as $79 in some places, from what I heard.

That being said. You might as well decide now if you can live with the issue, or not. If not, you should return it. If you can, then you need to start looking at ways to get around the problem, such as video editing software to adjust the audio-gap.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:59 PM   #4

I bought it at Target for $79 during their sale. So I'll take it back and get the refund. Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated!

lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 8:52 PM   #5

you are most welcomed. look at other models the soney netshare is promising 150.00 the Aiptek A-Hd blue video is awesome butsound a lil loud and poor. no synch issues. the Aiptek IS-DV a perfect model at 80.00.

Do not discourae, or have your son be dissappointed by Aiptek, take the time. and If getting him into Video maybe splurnging fora lil extra a camcorder, i wouldssay that be the best bet. 200.00 will get a decent one
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote