Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 11, 2008, 9:41 AM   #11

Quote:
You know what I really hate? People who want to show off their fancy new flat/wide screen tv's, and then the aspect ratios are wrong.
Yes, everytime I go to my parents house, their TV is set to the wrong aspect ratio. They have satellite so the TV doesn't auto-detect the aspect ratio like it would from a broadcast HDTV station. Anyway, I hate watching everybody all stretched out, but they don't seem to notice. I can always tell on my TV at home if I insert a DVD or something and ratio is wrong, it is obvious.

Another thing that irritates me.. I know several people who still own a VCR or DVD player and they are connected via an old-style RF cable and they tune their TV to channel 3 so they can watch. I mean, what is the point of an HD set, if you are going to watch stuff in this manner?
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:06 AM   #12

I agree.

Watching a video with a distorted aspect ratio drives me crazy, too.

I have...

1. 16:9 high definition LCD flat panel;

2. 16:9 standard definition digital (ATSC tuner) tube TV;

3. 4:3 standard definition digital (ATSC tuner) tube TV.

I find that I can watch a standard definition 4:3 DVD on my 4:3 tube TV and be perfectly content.

I find that I can watch a 16:9 standard definition DVD on my 16:9 tube TV and be perfectly content.

And, of course, I can be happy watching high definition video on my LCD panel.

I'm finding that -- for me -- the difference between high definition and standard definition really isn't so important.

If the movie or TV episode is something I enjoy in terms of content, then I am perfectly happy to watch standard definition.

My eyes adjust.

I'm not one of these people who absolutely has to watch everything in high definition.

When I show 4:3 content on my 16:9 screens, I just don't want to see the 4:3 material *stretched* to fill the 16:9 screen with everything out of proportion.

Good, clear video -- standard or high definition -- just looks fine to me as long as the aspect ratio is properly displayed.

Another reason I think people are buying the widescreen TVs is just the practical size/weight factor.

The flat panels seem somewhat lighter.

And unlike the tube TVs, you don't have that protrusion in the back that consumes quite a bit of space.

And the flat panels look more fashionable, perhaps.

There are some exciting concepts under development for the future, including screens that roll up like a sheet of paper.

That would be nice, if they could perfect it to the point where we could easily carry nice screens from one location to another.

Private Idaho

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:51 AM   #13

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
I'm finding that -- for me -- the difference between high definition and standard definition really isn't so important.
I agree here too. I have done experiments and found that I cannot distinguish between high-def and standard-def content when I am sitting on the couch at the other side of the livingroom where I normally sit. I have found that I can flip channels and some material will be playing that is standard-def and I'll think it is high-def until I get up closer to the screen, and vice-versa.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote