Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:13 PM   #11

I'll shoot some footage in the morning, probably, and post the link.
No_Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:34 PM   #12

I like the layout of that site. So far, anyway.
It's been overcast here this morning and I realized after I shot most of these clips that I'd forgotten to set the white balance on the MiniDV. Image stabilization is switched on. The MPVR is set to D1.

Clip #1 - view only if you have a strong stomach--I panned a full 360 degrees with the camera aimed up at the trees
http://www.4shared.com/file/34563391...ngCLIP311.html

Clip #2 - a car driving by
http://www.4shared.com/file/34563388...rCLIP0316.html

Clip #3 - cat on my neighbor's lawn
http://www.4shared.com/file/34563390...tCLIP0325.html

Clip #4 - my cat, because neither the wildlife nor the traffic on my street felt like cooperating today and my dogs didn't want to go outside.
http://www.4shared.com/file/34563389...tCLIP0327.html

Seems like the site can't preview these .asf files.

This is what it looks like when one of these files is edited and saved as a .wmv.
http://www.4shared.com/file/34564173.../hawkclip.html

Note: before I had installed the codec that Aiptek provides for these cameras, I was able to play these .asf files using KMPlayer.

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:48 PM   #13

Thanks for the sample files. The videos look to be 30fps or very close to it. That is what I need for the helmet cam. Video looks very smooth.

With the MPVR what resolutions can you choose from when recording from the video input?

Edit... found the manual link on the aiptek website- reading now.....

foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:13 AM   #14

I have tried both the MPVR and A-HD using my Sony KT&C 520 bullet camera and they both seem to have pros and cons. I use it for indoor karting and mountain biking.

The MPVR produces better coloring and you can see more detail it seems, however the A-HD is much easier to use and seems more durable. The files for the A-HD are much smaller and more compatible as well. I also liked the aspect ratio on the video files the A-HD produces. However I'm looking for a better solution because recording into either the A-HD and MPVR is horrible in bright areas with trees and lots of contrast changes. My mountain biking videos when its overcast look great and when its very sunny they look horrible. Tons of artificial blues and reds all over the place. Send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you better samples..

I'm looking for a Sony TRV-22 now because i heard those are by far the best for the money for helmet cameras

You can see A-HD samples here.
http://www.vimeo.com/user337739/videos
gekkonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:30 AM   #15

Okay, now I'm confused. Shouldn't the coloring and contrast/brightness issues come from the camera that's hooked up to the recorder? You're using the MPVR or A-HD as a recorder for an external camera, so all that information is being transmitted by the lens of the Sony, no?

The difference between the MPVR and A-HD, then, would be the video format and compression they use, wouldn't it?

I honestly am confused at this point.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:47 PM   #16

Wow.. I've never seen an indoor track setup like that. The closest thing I've ever done are the go-karts down at Putt-putt.. and "putt-putt" is definately the right words for them because they only go like 3 miles per hour. Also, these karts you are driving sound as if they are electric powered.. That is really cool.

Anyway, When you are dealing with analog cameras there is the possibility of overexposure in the actual optics and on the line-signals. With a computer and a video capture card you can make manual adjustments to the video input, but with these hybrid cameras I've never seen any settings for anything like that.

Another problem is always going to be with color because they always use composite video. This is 50% the fault of the cameras for not offering S-video or anything else on the input, but also 50% the analog camera's fault (security cam, helmet cam, underwater cam, etc..) because I've only seenVERY few of those that have s-video. They are a rare beast indeed and you have to pay lots to get one. I got lucky and found a security camera on ebay a year ago that has s-video. The image is so much better and there is no color bleeding on fine details.

Anyway.. it is difficult to say what your issues are being caused by.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:54 PM   #17

Video input quality varies greatly on different model camcorders. Most older analog 8mm and Hi-8 work very well and do not change the video signal coming from the camera at all. I have two older sony hi-8's and a canon hi-8 that works great with the helmet camera. I bought a used Samsung SCD107 last year to go "digital". It also has a line input and records to DV tape. Video input on the Samsung is horrible, the picture is too bright and washed out. Bright areas of the picture go to full white, color gets washed out.

It all depends on the A to D chip used by the manufacturer and how they setup the chip via firmware.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:36 PM   #18

I sure hope you're correct, foxdirtrider, as I just bought one of those sandisk 4gb sdhc cards and am gonna use it in the Vuepoint dv-da1-vp that I ordered. Anyhow, I got it for cheep ($16 delivered...unbelievable!!) brand new sealed. We'll see. Vueoint said they don't work, or they aren't supported and some cams came in for repair locked up because of the wrong card. But the girl there seemed not to be too sure of that.

I wonder if one can shoot with this cam without opening up the screen ...they show it flat to the cam, I guess turned around so it faces out...

foxdirtrider wrote:
Quote:

<snip>

For anyone else interested in this camera, *Sandisk 2 gig SD and the newer 4 gig SDHC cards work fine, even though they only claim 1 gig models work in the specs.

bubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:35 PM   #19

I have sandisk 2gb and the new 4gb SDHC and both work fine.

The camera will only work when opened up. The lens is completely hidden (covered up) when closed. The screen has a magnet inside that tells the camera if it is opened or closed, and which way the screen is facing (screen folded closed facing out = player mode, screen folded closed, facing in= power off).

Unless you are willing to open up the LCD and remove the magnet, and disconnect the flash and drill a hole through the front of the camera body for the lens to "see" through, you cannot take pictures or video with the unit closed.

Uploaded Mp3's work fine, but good luck trying to re-code video's to playback on this thing. It uses a tweaked xvid codec for video and mp2 audio. Best results I can get is a video with some artifacts around the outside edges when playing back the files. I had to use e-right-soft's "Super" converter (freeware) with custom settings to get the files to play at all.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:34 AM   #20

I am only able to use my left hand ...I will use this camera holding it and scrunching my hand around to push the capture button or maybe I will hold the remote in my right hand and try to point it at the cam and use that ...we'll see if I can do it...thanks for the info about the card.
bubbah is offline   Reply With Quote