Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 13, 2008, 4:56 PM   #21

ok...I received the camera (dv-da1-vp) and purchased a generic 5gb card on ebay for it ...the cam shuts down when I insert the card ...I have to remove the battery and restart the cam with the card in to see the card ...then it records pics & video to the card fine but the usb does not connect reliably ...when I take the card out insert it into the reader on the pc, the pic&video are there fine ...is this a defective card or what? Initially it didn't turn on with the card inserted at all but I formatted it on the pc & then it finally saw the card in the cam ...wth?? foxdirtrider wrote:
Quote:
I have sandisk 2gb and the new 4gb SDHC and both work fine.*

The camera will only work when opened up.* The lens is completely hidden (covered up) when closed.* The screen has a magnet inside that tells the camera if it is opened or closed, and which way the screen is facing (screen folded closed facing out = player mode, screen folded closed, facing in= power off).*

Unless you are willing to open up the LCD and remove the magnet, and disconnect the flash and drill a hole through the front of the camera body for the lens to "see" through, you cannot take pictures or video with the unit closed.

Uploaded Mp3's work fine, but good luck trying to re-code video's to playback on this thing.* It uses a tweaked xvid codec for video and mp2 audio.* Best results I can get is a video with some artifacts around the outside edges when playing back the files.* I had to use e-right-soft's "Super" converter (freeware) with custom settings to get the files to play at all.
bubbah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 7:43 PM   #22

I have never heard of a 5 gb card, 1, 2, 4, and 8gb are the most common sizes.

I think this camera needs a SDHC spec card to work correctly above 2 gb. You can try formatting the card in the camera and see if it makes a difference. If that does not help, look at the filesystem, if it is FAT, try formatting the card (in a XP machine) with the FAT 32 file system instead.

Try to use name brand cards. Look for deals locally, I bought a Sandisk 4gb SDHC card at Circuit City last weekend for $29.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:36 AM   #23

oops! 4gb & did format with windowsXP I assume fat32 and when it sees card cam puts vid&pics on it fine! what about "ultra" brand at tigerdirect.com?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 8:43 AM   #24

If the card is labeled SDHC it should work fine. I have no experience with that brand however. You may want to start a new topic on this forum, ask if anyone has had problems with that (or any other brands) of SD cards.

One thing I have noticed with the camera, you cannot plug the usb cable in as soon as you turn it on. It will sometimes lock up the unit. I usually wait a minute or two after powering up the camera before I plug in the cable.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:38 AM   #25

To what would one attribute the occasional failure to run with the card inserted. If the cam is on and the card is inserted it shuts itself off ...sometimes it restarts fine and the card functions well ...sometimes it doesn't restart and I have to fiddle with the battery in/out to get it to go, occasionally several times ...huh??:-?