Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:41 PM   #31

Charbax wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to know the bitrates. I guess 720p stays around 4mbit/s and 1080p becomes around 8mbit/s perhaps. That would be just very COOL.
If you are talking about 720p60, I don't think the bitrate will keep at 4Mbps as 720p30. The framerate is double. Per the total pixel count per second, it may be 8Mbps too.

Rio12375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:51 PM   #32

My Sony HDR-UX1 (high definition AVCHD DVD camcorder model) records 1440 x 1080 interlaced.

It will be interesting to compare.

I would not expect the Aiptek to perform nearly as well in terms of audio/video, but it will be interesting to see just how big of a difference there is.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:59 PM   #33

Actually, it is true because it's been discussed again and again and again for years; the so-called "rolling shutter" effect can be slight or pronounced. Even the relatively expensive Sony high definition models have this issue. It's been the subject of professional forum posts for years.

Even Adam Wilt makes reference to the issue here in his HVR-V1 (HDV) Sony camcorder review originally published in DV MAGAZINE.

"Like other CMOS camcorders, the V1's chips use a rolling shutter, sampling scan lines sequentially instead of capturing the entire frame at once."

"Still frames taken from fast pans show tilted vertical lines-just like stills grabbed from a tube camera's clips or photographs taken with still cameras using vertical focal-plane shutters."

http://www.dv.com/features/features_...leId=194400711

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:However.. I can definatly say you are INCORRECT when you say that it is the nature of CMOS sensor.* This is definatly not true[/quote]
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:11 PM   #34

When will these new Aiptek models ship?

Anybody know?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:15 AM   #35

Rio12375 wrote:
Quote:
Charbax wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to know the bitrates. I guess 720p stays around 4mbit/s and 1080p becomes around 8mbit/s perhaps. That would be just very COOL.
If you are talking about 720p60, I don't think the bitrate will keep at 4Mbps as 720p30. The framerate is double. Per the total pixel count per second, it may be 8Mbps too.

OK 720p 60fps might be at 6 or 8mbit/s. But I hope it still has the 720p 30fps option at 4mbit/s, cause that is probably the option I still most likely want to use. The extra available processing power hopefully can do somekind of digital image stabillization, anti rolling shutter or improve the encoding complexity levels even further. So a 4mbit/s 720p30 video taken with the AHD300 hopefully looks better than the 4mbit/s 720p30 video taken with the AHD200.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:34 AM   #36

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
When will these new Aiptek models ship?

Anybody know?
MAy 28th 2008

USA now has the first hand, and now posably Germany will see first hand

these will be the expected dates possably late march you'll see sites adding them on
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 7:27 AM   #37

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
"Like other CMOS camcorders, the V1's chips use a rolling shutter, sampling scan lines sequentially instead of capturing the entire frame at once."
[/quote]
That just means most CMOS camcorders suffer from this. I have several CMOS cameras around here that do not have this issue. I have an older Creative and Logitech web-cams thatare definatetly CMOS and I also have some analog security cameras on my house that are CMOS. They don't have that problem.And as mentioned before, the Go-HD has a CCD sensor and still has that problem. Also, the newer Logitech high-end quickcams also employ CCD imagers, but have this problem. So this obviously has little to do with CMOS vs. CCD. I think it is simply "guilt by association." Sort of like the AMD CPU's used to always get called "Junk" years ago because they were cheaper. So naturally, then ended up in cheap motherboards with stability problems. But it wasn't the CPU, rather the board they were put in. Same situation here. Most low-end cameras use CMOS because they are inexpensive. But the whole camera is cheap.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:52 AM   #38

Well, with the CMOS cameras you have, you may not be able to detect it, but -- as has been noted dozens of times -- this problem shows up in cameras costing thousands of dollars.

But if you read the article I cited, you'll note that one's ability to detect the problem also hinges on the type of monitor one happens to be using.

"The 1x playback of such pans on CRTs look better than CCD camera pans do, because CRTs are also sequentially scanned, but all-at-once displays may make the V1's pix look distorted."

"(Of the two LCDs I use, the Panasonic BT-LH1700W scans like a CRT: the Z1 CCD pans look tilted and the V1 CMOS pans look normal."

"The HP L2335 buffers the image and displays it all at once: the Z1 pans look normal and the V1 pans show tilt.)"

"Fast-moving objects can look distorted in extracted stills, though I have yet to see anything objectionable in moving video."
Old Jan 15, 2008, 1:21 PM   #39

CMos on the GO-HD

Aiptek will never use CCD lens sensors not thair cup of tea
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:23 PM   #40

Fishy,

Your last comment suggests you were quoting me when -- in fact -- that was a quotation from Adric22.

Just thought I should clarify that I did not say that the GO-HD had a CCD.

Thanks.

Private Idaho