Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 10, 2008, 5:20 AM   #1

AIPTEK announced Several New Models in CES

720P 60 fps & 1080P 30fps, Same Outlook as A-HD & Go-HD

Claims

720P 60fps helps on filming moving object or helps while panning fast.

1080P 30fps is 1440*1080 Progressive Scanning (is it 1080i?)

Note : The viewing angle is different, at 1080 mode, looks like 2X optical.

It can be switched by menu, just like switching resolution, totals

1080P 30

720P 60

720P 30

480P 60

480P 30

Don't know if they are going to change?
A insider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:34 AM   #2

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out whoreally posted this.

Anyway, I wonder if it still has wavy video?
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Wavy video.

It's generally a problem for people who are shooting without a tripod or are using a tripod and panning very quickly across a scene (for sports as an example).

Amateurs who refuse to use tripods will also be impacted.

Otherwise, this is not quite as big a priority for a fix, in my view, as the improvements that are desperately needed for audio recording:

1. Onboard microphones need to be a minimum of 48KHz, 16-bit;

2. All hybrids should feature external microphone inputs so that high quality external stereo and mono microphones can be utilized.

Private Idaho

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:15 AM   #4

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Otherwise, this is not quite as big a priority for a fix, in my view, as the improvements that are desperately needed for audio recording:
I guess this is just a matter of opinion. We've had similar discussions before. I have posted many times that the wavy problem can be minimized by use of a tripod or steady hand. However, as for the priority of audio over video, I disagree there. I'd say that 90% of the video I shoot ends up getting edited and the audio track is removed completely in favor of a music track or something of that nature. In cases where I'm recording my voice for a review or other documentary type video, I always use a wireless mic which interfaces directly to my PC for recording in 48 Khz. In which case the audio track from the camera is deleted. Only on those rare events where I'm just shooting a home movie (such as at Christmas time) do I actually plan to keep the audio tracks from the camera. So most of the time, I'm far more concerned with having a stable video image.

Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:44 AM   #5

Your workflow does not help the literally thousands of individuals who buy these cameras in hopes of recording interviews with relatives to preserve family histories, etc.

In addition, if one is recording an interview while sitting next to a campfire on a camping trip, for example, then one can't rely on a microphone that feeds audio directly into a computer.

Moreover, one can't rely on a micrphone that feeds audio into a computer while one is standing on a city street while recording dialogue from a merchant.

By the way, your little YouTube comparison between the Aiptek and the Sanyo camcorders seemed to be a misrepresentation of the so-called "debate" -- as you put it.

The debate was never about whether the Sanyo's microphone was able to record at higher fidelity -- 48KHz, 16-bit stereo -- as opposed to the Aiptek's lower fidelity 11.025KHz, 16-bit mono.

You seemed to misinterpret my comment about the Aiptek's lesser microphone actually performing better for recording close dialogue due to the fact the Aiptek microphone suffers less from background hiss as a result of the 11.025KHz sampling rate and due to the fact that monaural microphones tend to be better for recording dialogue than stereo microphones.

In addition, you seemed unwilling to accept the possibility that Sanyo stereo microphones are unusually noisy compared to microphones from similar manufacturers.

But your little YouTube test was really quite a misrepresentation.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:53 AM   #6

It is not I. who Posted

I can tell you this, by gutt feeling say bye bye to the A-HD.

it dropped too low 99.99 for a lowest model online.

Complaints of Wavy Video. what complaint do you have on a video shoot at a 90 degree angle, a 45 degree angle and 30, 15? love to hear?

what problems is it that you want fixed? Would Low light and level noise be an issue, as well ?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 1:58 PM   #7

These camera are low-end "hi-def Brownies of the day" so I don't think they need to include an external mic input but they could design them to keep the microphone away from the operator's breathe. :-) After all the hits on audio Aiptek would be foolish not to address audio quality issue and I think it wouldn't add that much cost to the camera to do so. A lot of people don't actually edit their clips and will want the audio listenable.

In fact one of two things need to happen if BluRay is going to win the format war: either BluRay has to support QuickTime AVCHD files or the camera makers offer a simpler utility to remux the files to a stream AVCHD and include a burning utility. BD can play raw stream AVCHD files in M2TS format. The disk BTW can be just a regular DVD data disk (I haven't tried a CD yet).

Hidef TVs are flying off the store shelves in the US and apparently some due to people thinking that the transition is next month not a year from next month (that's what my neighbors thought). So cameras that can do hidef are going to sell well. The easier for Joe Six Pack to play back on the TV and make a disk to send to friends the better. But the audio better not sound like someone on a megaphone.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:13 PM   #8

So far:
http://ces.cnet.com/8300-13855_1-67-...d=aiptek+1080p

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:29 PM   #9

http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...amp;Itemid=258

See the Aiptek Pocket DV H100 model at the preceding link (on Aiptek's Germany Web site).

As you can see, the specifications include an "external microphone input."

So we know Aiptek can do it, don't we?

And let me tell you, these external microphone inputs don't add significantly to the cost.

So there's really no reason not to have one.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 10, 2008, 2:31 PM   #10

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Your workflow does not help the literally thousands of individuals who buy these cameras in hopes of recording interviews with relatives to preserve family histories, etc.

In addition, you seemed unwilling to accept the possibility that Sanyo stereo microphones are unusually noisy compared to microphones from similar manufacturers.
Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I still hold the opinion that the Sanyo sounds much better. The two reasons I say this are that the Aiptek only records low sounds and no treble. This is probably because of the lower sampling rate. It also has terrible gain, because at distances you can't hear anything at all. I don't notice any particular background hiss on the Sanyo, and if I did I could filter it out.

As far as the situations you described where people would be doing interviews.. All I can say is that if people expect to do interviews around campfires and on streets, then they get what they deserve because you can't expect good audio in any of those situations without a hand-held or clip-on microphone. I don't care what kind of camera it is. I've tried getting audio from a $3,000 prosumer camcorder's built-in microphone in a room six feet away and it still sounded unprofessional because you could hear so much echo.

And buy the way.. just for the record, I am not biased towards Sanyo in any particular way. Everybody who knows me knows that I'm fair and I give credit where credit is due, and critizism where it is due. I realize the Aiptek cameras are much cheaper than other cameras and so I rate them by a different scale. I think that some of their products are worthwhile purchases, when found at the right price. However, what I don't tolerate is when they lie about the product specs by saying it has 8 Megapixels when it really has 5, or saying it records 30 fps when it really does 18, saying it has a 4x digital zoom when it really doesn't have a digital zoom at all, etc..