Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:45 PM   #1

I have this Ispan DDV-720 i got from a friend. He said it worked then one day he was tryng to remove some pictures and the camera just stoped working. So i took it home and i also cant seem to get it to do anything. Even when i plug in the power adapter or plug it into my pc all i get is a red light for 2 seconds and that's it. My pc can't even find the device. Is the camera broken or does any one have any ideas ? .. Battery wont charge maybe... Thanks gang.. PEACH
KINGPEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2008, 10:39 PM   #2

It could be the battery. If so, you'll probably have to get another one to test it. For that purpose, you can get real cheapo NP-60 batteries on eBay.

It could be an incompatible or corrupted file. An incompatible file on a memory card or in the camera's internal memory will cause a DDV-720 to hang while powering up. I imagine you've tried the camera with no memory card in it. If not, use your computer to reformat the card, and try powering up the camera with the formatted card inserted. If it works, then the problem was either a bad file on the card, or a bad file in the camera's internal memory.

If you haven't tried the camera with no memory card in it, try that. If it works, then the problem was either a bad file on the card, or a bad memory card. If it doesn't work, then either the camera is defective, the battery is dead, or there's an incompatible file in the camera's internal memory. If you can access the camera's internal memory by plugging it into the pc's usb port, then use Explorer to get rid of the offending file(s).

Bad memory cards and defective cables are also not unknown, just to complicate things.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 8:02 AM   #3

It would also be a good idea to see if it has one of those tony reset holes where you stick a paper-clip in to reset it. This has "revived" more than one of those type of cameras before.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4

Thanks to both posters that tried to help me.. I can't access the internal memory since my pc won't recognize a device attached. And he did'nt give me an expansion card. however Im also thinking its an internal curopt file. I can't find a reset hole either. One last question. Does the battery need to be in at all times. I mean if you plug in the power adapter shouldnt it boot with out a battery. If this is not so then Ill hunt down a battery on Ebay. Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:03 AM   #5

I had a DDV-720, and I don't recall it having any way to reset it. After seeing what incompatible or corrupted files on the memory card did to it, I was careful not to have any such files on the internal memory.

Unfortunately I don't remember what it would do if you connected it to power with no battery inserted. The other thing to do is scrounge/borrow an sd card, format it in a pc, and try the camera with that. This hopefully would bypass the internal memory.

The 720 is a nice camera, if you can get it working.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 1:26 PM   #6

Thanks I ordered 2 batteries a charger and sd card from ebay.. I figured if worse comes to worse I can always use them on another cam. But i do like this little guy. Wish me luck . Ill reply when they come in to let you all know if it works. I don't want you to think your help was waisted.. Cheers !!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:08 PM   #7

If it turns out it really is broken, you could pick up a used known-good 720 on eBay very cheap. Or some other Digilife cam. Typically they use the same battery.