Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:30 AM   #1

I'm a sports photographer but have never shot any video before. I've decided it'd be fun to catch some video footage of the stuff I shoot and am looking for the right cam to do this. I also want to use it to do some product reviews for my website and get the off day skiing on there.

Pretty much decided it has to take an SD card (no way am I using tapes!) - so that seems to narrow my choice down to Sanyo or Aiptek.

I want to pay as little as possible while getting something worth having. If the improvements are really worth it, I'll up the budget.

I know I'm asking a lot - but am prepared to take the hit in quality in exchange for pocket size ease - but don't want to spend on something not worth having!

Sanyo
I can't decide if the CG65 is enough or if I'd prefer the HD2. I'm mainly drawn to the HD2 so I can easily add a wide angle lens apator. Is the HD2 worth the 'upgrade'?

Aiptek
The A-HD looks quite interesting but doesn't appear to have a functional AV-in for bullet cams in Europe. Not sure if this is true, I've read conflicting stories!

The best bet for the A-HD looks like picking one up from the US as it's sooooo much cheaper over there than here anyway.

Here's the big decision - I also want to be able to helmet cam some bike tracks. The Aiptek looks like the only one with an AV in.

So, basically, my choice so far looks like:
- Sanyo HD2 with wide angle convertor and a seperate helmet cam (bullet cam and archos?)
or
- Aiptek and helmet cam

Any thoughts or help apprecaited!

gravity-slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2008, 10:56 AM   #2

I can answer this with very little doubt. If you are going to take video of sports, you definately do not want any Aiptek product at all. That is because every Aiptek camera suffers from wavy video, which will be present in any high-speed movement situations. So if you were videoing some people running really fast, they would appear slanted even though they really aren't. Another problem is (with the exception of the A-HD and Go-HD) Aiptek's products have low frame-rates, even though the packages claim "up to 30 fps" it is more like 18.

The BEST camera you can get would probably be a Sanyo HD1, but you'd have to buy it used because they don't make it anymore. The reason for this is because it actually has a setting for recording at 60 frames per second! Unfortunatly, they removed that feature on the newer models. You can probably pick one up on ebay for around $300 to $400.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:14 AM   #3

Correction.

The Sanyo HD1 would not be the best; that camcorder was the first generation high definition model introduced by Sanyo a couple of years ago.

The newest model -- with 60 frames per second 720p capability -- is the Sanyo VPC-HD1000. The Sanyo VPC-HD1000 would indeed be useful for sports.

Adric22 is right, however, about the Aiptek being the wrong choice for sports.

Private Idaho

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
I can answer this with very little doubt. If you are going to take video of sports, you definately do not want any Aiptek product at all. That is because every Aiptek camera suffers from wavy video, which will be present in any high-speed movement situations. So if you were videoing some people running really fast, they would appear slanted even though they really aren't. Another problem is (with the exception of the A-HD and Go-HD) Aiptek's products have low frame-rates, even though the packages claim "up to 30 fps" it is more like 18.

The BEST camera you can get would probably be a Sanyo HD1, but you'd have to buy it used because they don't make it anymore. The reason for this is because it actually has a setting for recording at 60 frames per second! Unfortunatly, they removed that feature on the newer models. You can probably pick one up on ebay for around $300 to $400.
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:18 AM   #4

Sanyo's specifications page for the VPC-HD1000 model is here:

http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/english/pro...pec/index.html

Note the 720p 60 frames per second capability *and* an external microphone input so that one can use an external microphone.

This is a pretty good camera.

It still has a few Sanyo quirks.

But it's not bad.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:31 PM   #5

Cheers guys. Thanks for the tips on the Aiptek - I was originally looking at the A-HD as these guys (link below) recommend a lower one for use on the helmet cam package, specifically for mountain biking:
http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/Mount...e_Package.html

I should have said in my budget comment that the HD700 or HD2 are the most I feel comfy spending. In the UK, these are around £300, the HD1000 around £500.

The Aiptek A-HD is £160 - or £75 if I a friend brings one back from the US! That, plus the av-in, is why is was very tempting.

This is the kind of thing I get up to (not me in this shot, I took that one but race downhill):

Old Jan 11, 2008, 4:58 PM   #6

You can see the wavy fence posts, right?

If you're OK with that, then go for the A-HD and save some money!

:G

Private Idaho
Old Jan 11, 2008, 7:10 PM   #7

gravity-slaveFirst Welcome to the Board

Your Interest to the Aiptek world, or Sanyo from a photo's world. is quite interesting. your expertese in Filming photo's to video become a new challenge.

Aiptek A-Hd for an ECONOMY CAM It is a great choice for a beginner. getting into Hi-Def, File size is small you're talkingup to 30 meg for 1 minute. a 4 gig card will last for hours. and One battery 90 minutes. Very simple controls.

sanyo Xacti Hd 700 is more a advance users camcorder it is a great choice with all that you can ask for 60 plus meg for a 1 minut video you'll need a 8 gig card for hours of fun and 80 minutes of record time.

Going the Economy route, being a pro at what you do, you'll know the ins and outs of a still camera, and that iswhat the Sanyo has for you every control imaginable Exposure ISO, manual, face detection spot macro, Stereo sound and more.

Waviness will occure while you're in motion filming or snapping at a 90 degree, you may also get this on moving objects, while standing still. If footage is needed we'll be happy to snap some.

look for future models to come out. remember ifyou're moving up to Hi-def your pc should be up to par.

look into a Hd 700(no wide angle )(16.9 photos)

"hd 2 hd 1000 ( wide angle adaptors)

"Peonix wide angle large will fit the A-Hd perfect and the sanyo hd 700 well.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:58 AM   #8

As a beginning, I don't think you can go far wrong with a Samsung Miniket Sport model. The sport models come with a bullet cam. But they don't take high resolution stills, and they use Sony memory sticks instead of SD cards.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 7:41 AM   #9

PC spec is OK but not cutting edge:

Athlon 64 X2 3800+ - dual core running at 2GHz
2GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 6500 - 256MB - Core Clock: 450 MHz - Memory Clock: 700 MHz

Thanks for the suggestion on the Samsung but SD card is pretty key. I have a laptop that takes SD and I like the idea of downloading and organising clips when I'm at bike race events, direct to the laptop to save time when I get home. Also got a few SD cards already (and about 20GB of CF! If only there was one using CF!).

I'm leaning towards the HD2 or HD-700 with wide angle adaptor and a seperate head cam setup later. For now, it's ski time and I think I could stick it under my goggle strap for some simple not-too-exteme stuff!

Really depends which camcorder in this class has the least 'smearing' when tracking. Any raw footage of tracking a moving object?

Here's the kind of riding I do and stuff I'd like to film (this is a pro-level production, I'm under no impressions I'll be anywhere near this in terms of quality or footage!)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kqFCEm_-mfk

I've read and read all the threads on the forum but nothing beats a specific answer to my application. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate all the feedback!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:38 AM   #10

you're welcomed. hd2 hd 1000 best to see ifthey have lens smear the star trek beam. Hd 700 or CCD lenses have them. no problem on the A-Hd
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote