Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 29, 2008, 3:34 PM   #31
rxr

rxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:01 AM   #32

An cheap 1080p60 sensor can be made, if they want to. The data handling and compression is another thing, and may not be cheap, compact or low powered yet.

What is available for an higher price, the Casio DSLR camera does 60fps 6mp in burst stills shooting, but not in video movie mode. Altasens site has higher consumer sensors.

Ambarella technology supports 1080p60, for 20% more data-rate for similar quality (I assume that is over interlace. but can't remember).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:06 PM   #33

Ambarella has just announced an 8mp still 480mp/sec with 1080p60 camera control and codec chip.

http://www.ambarella.com/news/press_..._01282008.htm2

It can actually capture at 8mp p60, but I don't think it will be supported because of codec performance.

Imagine when they get to 8mp p60.

Here is an pdf that describes why it is good to use 1080p60 for broadcasting:
http://www.ambarella.com/docs/1080p60.pdf
Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:33 PM   #34

I think everyone is over hyping the percieved disadvantage of a 1440x1080 capture. It just uses non square pixels, and maintains the exact same 16:9 industry standard aspect ratio. This is the exact same resolution used by most all HD cams including some very, very expensive pro cams when capturing to tape. Including the Sony Cinealta's that still cost $80,000. Pana's DVCpro format has an even lower 1280x1080 capure spec.
That said there is no real benefit to this high rez capture. These cams do not even come close to capturing true TVlines resolution even in there 720p mode (I know I own an A-HD) and these little cams come no where close to what a $5,000 JVC HDVpro 720p cam does as far as true resolution capture. 1080p is overkill and you will not see any real world resolution improvement when shooting 1080p vs. 720p on these cams. Crappy lens, crappy electronics, weak encoder and image processing, great price! The 720p60 mode is what everyone should be excited about.
The extreemly high compression on these cams shows its head when only capturing 30 frames/sec. 60 frames/sec will help image capture quality greatly by reducing judder effects and reducing compression induced blur. Anything but a locked down shot at 30p on these cams is horrid. Thankfully I always lock my shot down and it looks great for the price.
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 8:19 PM   #35

These really high resolutions would kill my computer. If A-HD plays slowly enough and makes converting videos choppy, I can't imagine what 1080 would do. Everyone else needs to remember that too.

I'll sit this one out, despite how much I love upgrading to higher resolution, until I get a better computer.It looks good enough on my television right now (it looks a little fuinny on the HDTV but whatever) and I could do something about the audio later.

From my guess right now, the specs of the computer should be at least 3ghz if you want to run this normally. This is only based off of what I have seen so far with all of Aiptek's other cameras and A-HD.

Trigger_Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:37 AM   #36

The ispan camera now only does 30fps, and is similar to the DigiLife DDV-1100HD below, and I am thinking about it:

http://www.globalmediapro.com/do/product/3297

I am really an bit frustrated with the disappearing models stuff (an few companies).

I don't know exactly why their is no cheap 720p60 cameras, but I image that it has something to do with multiple versions of Ambarella chips (not to mention the fastest frame rate of the sensor at an resolution) the cheaper ones are less powerful with smaller arrays of RISC processors, but with the same firmware base.

So the only low end 720p50/60 cameras you have are the Toshiba Gigashot K40H, K80H (cant find an review and not in my country) and Samsungs, not the best and don't know if available here, and Sanyo HD1000 finally here but with that blue/red halo of death on bright objects. Really frustrating. The Toshiba might be good, or maybe as good as the Hitachi BD camera, and is not an hybrid. It is an shame that Kodak doesn't do noise removal like the Ambarella cameras and 50/60fps at twice the data rate.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:31 PM   #37

I will be upgrading to the new Aiptek A-HD300 Pro. Honestly, I don't care about the 1080p @ 30FPS. What sold me is the 720p @ 60FPS. I tend to record a lot of action shots, and that feature is sorely needed by me.

Since my Birthday is May 12th, I plan on getting it as a little gift to myself :P
Nikogrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 6:02 PM   #38

Hi!
The PocketDV AHD300 and PocketDV AHD Z500 PLUS has been officially unveiled here in Europe. You can now see the datasheets at aiptek website http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...162&Itemid=278 and http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...160&Itemid=277 .
Price is offically 299€ for the Z500, but i've already seen 249.95€ at http://www.otto.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ShopName=&ls=0 .
I noticed that the AHD300 hasn't got any Av-in functionality. I remember the same story for the AHD200: only the non-european versions has Av-in, because of some strange laws about recording products (that would have added some taxes to the camcorder). So I'm wondering whether in the AHD500 it's an hardware limitation or only a firmware one. I remember i read somewhere, that if you mail aiptek, they can send you the firmware. So if u ask the US one, maybe it will unlock the AV-IN.
Do you guys think that this can be the solution for AV-IN? Has anybody tried something similar with the AHD200?

See you!
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:19 AM   #39

Does this mean it's available for purchase and delivery now or soon?
Old Mar 5, 2008, 5:16 AM   #40

The shop www.otto.de says it will be available in 3 weeks. Other news sites say it s already available. So I think we have to wait that the shops receive their stocks
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote