Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:14 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

These looked interesting but they don't appear to have Stereo Sound that I can find in the specs. ie it just mentions 'Embedded microphone and speaker.

Stereo Sound should be standard by now. There is no excuse, so I am going to have to pass on these.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:31 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 50
Default

Even without stereo audio, you can record audio externally and then mix it in later. I hope this camcorder comes soon. If it can shoot 720P at 60 fps and look great, no need in a $1000 dv camcorder.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 9:19 AM   #43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
Even without stereo audio, you can record audio externally and then mix it in later. I hope this camcorder comes soon. If it can shoot 720P at 60 fps and look great, no need in a $1000 dv camcorder.
Out of interest, how do you manage to line up the audio so that it isn't get out of sync? I mean I always thought you just moved it around until it 'looks in sync' but then it may still be off sync a fraction even though not noticeable at the start and slowly go out of sync, so I assuming there is a more precise way?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:54 AM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 50
Default

Editing software like Sony Vegas and others like Adobe After Effects. Vegas is affordable and can do soundtracks. You see the track recorded by the camcorder and then inport the audio, mp3 or what not, and then line up the sound. The clapper used by movie producers when they say "and action" is used to do that. Get something to make a noise, either make something or buy one, and do that and line up the clap.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 11:28 AM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,084
Default

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
Editing software like Sony Vegas and others like Adobe After Effects. Vegas is affordable and can do soundtracks. You see the track recorded by the camcorder and then inport the audio, mp3 or what not, and then line up the sound. The clapper used by movie producers when they say "and action" is used to do that. Get something to make a noise, either make something or buy one, and do that and line up the clap.
I can see this for planned stuff but for regular family movies I think this would be too much hassle hence my argument that a Stereo mic should be standard and would be adequate for this use.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 12:52 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 296
Default

If audio is a really important thing for your shooting then get a camera that does it right. Even with my Sony HC1 I added their shotgun mic for better audio coverage. I also did the same with my JVC HD1. My old Sony PC7 suffered from the same problem in design that the Aiptek cameras have with the microphone on top which though not distorting would pick up your breathing.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:36 AM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 50
Default

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
Editing software like Sony Vegas and others like Adobe After Effects. Vegas is affordable and can do soundtracks. You see the track recorded by the camcorder and then inport the audio, mp3 or what not, and then line up the sound. The clapper used by movie producers when they say "and action" is used to do that. Get something to make a noise, either make something or buy one, and do that and line up the clap.
I can see this for planned stuff but for regular family movies I think this would be too much hassle hence my argument that a Stereo mic should be standard and would be adequate for this use.
You are right, but I have an independent film coming up to shoot and this would be perfect. Though everyday use, I would go with an xacti.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:46 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Wayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,071
Default

You might also take a look at the Gigashot hard drive 720p60 cameras, cheap, something like $694-$794. uses a Altasens Altachrome chip, but unlike other Altachrome cameras (Hitachi and Toshiba) it uses larger 720p pixels so maybe the performance is better (I have not been able to find a review of this camera on the net).

Check for latitude clipping at the top end, and noise in low light. Altasens makes some of the best professional sensors, but have yet to read about this on the consumer versions, maybe they don't want to challenger their professional performance, but other manufacturers are raising their consumer level sensor performances.

I think it uses an Ambarella codec chip running at higher bit-rate. Favoring 720p.

Otherwise HDV cameras, a particularly 720p, tend to be doing better than H264 cameras so far. Things should improve, and the review of the latest Canon AVCHD camera over at ccinfo is said to be the best they come across in certain aspects (have only read pieces of the performance section).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:49 AM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 92
Default

I sent an email to Aiptek customer service (Europe) about the AV-IN of AHD300.
They answered that the AHD300 has NO AV-IN.
Besides, they confirmed that only the US AHD200 has AV-In , not the european one.

sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:08 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 296
Default

I believe the reason you don't see the AV in is there is some kind of tax or tariff on items with this capability in Europe where there is not in the US (and should never be. Complain loudly and frequently to your representatives if they start thinking there should be).

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:01 PM.