Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 14, 2008, 3:18 PM   #1

May 2008 is the expected release date you may see as soon as march link adds

Exact same model as the Aiptek GO-HD in SILVER

3x optical zoom

[*]Capture at 1440 x 1080 at 30fps [/*][*]3X optical zoom lens with auto focus [/*][*]2.4 inch TFT display [/*][*]Capture up to 5cm close up picture with macro mode [/*][*]Night shot mode [/*][*]Extra LED light helps video recording in the dark [/*][*]Rechargeable Li-Ion battery and power charge via USB [/*]
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:25 PM   #2

I'm probably going to go for this model.

I realize the auto-focus probably won't be as fast as I would like.

But I suspect it will be 'good enough' for the use I intend.

I doubt I'll be taking the kind of shots that make the auto-focus 'hunt' for the correct setting.

I like the optical zoom option.

So we'll see how it goes when it ships.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:36 PM   #3

Now what everyone will want is a camera that looks as good as the one the guy has in "Cloverfield." IOW, a Panavision Genisis the size of a handycam at Aiptek prices. :lol:
http://imdb.com/title/tt1060277/

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:25 AM   #4

you mean this one, if you are going to mention a camera , at least

try to copy the pic and post up, it is easy to do.

so others know what you're referringto :G

DAm My additional reply diss'ed. Cloverfield. not a new type of film

Camera shake was aroouind and just a righttime to place at the movies. Teeth another so-so movie will probably take some Glory away from this one causing some down side 3 months in the aisles for DVD

[align=left]
[/align]

Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:51 AM   #5

I was just reading over at reduser, somebody referring to an camera in Cloverfield as looking like an mini-red, and hoping that the new Scarlet camera (possibly mini-red) would look like that. Pity that this scarlet camera might be much much more than $2000, rather than much much less than it. I am hoping it will act like an good digital still as well.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:37 AM   #6

once again if you're referringto a camera why not help us out by copy the pic and then paiste it?:G
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:44 PM   #7

There is no pic, pre-production model to be shown off at NAB in April. I think their is suggestion it will do 3D, but am uncertain. However the big brother red is here, with mention of the pocket professional camera (and we are still guessing at what that means):

Linked image:
[img]www.red.com/skin/img/camera/hero.jpg[/img]

www.red.com
http://www.red.com/cameras
Old Jan 19, 2008, 2:18 PM   #8

thank you. what caught my eye will be the 2k 4k etc for the future lol
Old Jan 19, 2008, 3:24 PM   #9

IMDB doesn't always get their tech specs right so it is possible some scenes were done with the Red. The Genesis is a little large to be used in tight places like the shots in that film. It's a single CMOS chip camera and being so can use regular 35mm lenses and gear. On a smaller scale some of that CMOS technology is trickling down to Sony's consumer cameras making 3 CCD a thing of the past. I even find the CMOS on my Aiptek better than the one on my two year old Sony HC1 but then its about twice as many pixels. That's how far we've come since then.

Fishy, I don't think the folks from "Lost" who did "Cloverfield" were interested in knocking off the award winners. It's just an entertaining B movie. I don't usually go to opening days but when I have a DLP theater less than 5 minutes away I went a half hour early and got my choice of seats for the $6 matinee. Fortunately folks around here aren't rowdy at films which makes it an enjoyable experience. What I noted on exit is about 1/3 of the audience seemed to be grumbling apparently feeling they got ripped off. As for award winners I saw "There Will Be Blood" the day before and it is my favorite front-runner so far.

2K is effectively 1080p and 4K twice that. The conceit of Cloverfield is that the guy is shooting with his consumer camcorder but no consumer camcorder is that capable. Some reviewers compared it to "Blair Witch" but that film looked awful shot mostly on Hi8 (and some 16mm).

"He Was a Quiet Man" just released on DVD was shot with a JVC HD100 using a special rack for focus pulling. Looks very good for a 720p camera.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0760311/
JVC camera and probably rack system:
http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/jvcp...ini35test1.php

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:58 AM   #10

The HC1 is nice though not perfect, we know, but I think that it could beat the Aiptek in an few ways. Test out latitude with he same aperture (try to force ti wide on the Aiptek, and lock on the HC1). The Micron should have signal to noise in the 40's or 30's, compare noise between the two, particularly in the blacks, with same aperture/gain (tricky with the HC1 because the exposure wheel doesn't tell you what is happening, but somebody did work it out at sonyhdv.net, or something). But on the Aiptek you will get good noise removal, less of the pinkish red problems, but the HC1 should handle images with movement an bit better.