Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 1, 2008, 1:07 PM   #11

A simple way thisworks camera must beac plugged in anytimesome one walks into a motion it goes on records no motion it stops like a light motion

mr_westie wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I am interested in how the motion detection works in this line of cameras.

I have tried to find a downloadable manual but no luck.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 4:58 PM   #12

mr_westie wrote:
Quote:

Which kind? The type fishycomics mentioned is the kind you would use for a security camera. The other kind of motion detection is what you would use for image stabilization. In the latter case, the Aipteks and other cheap cameras just use image comparison techniques. I haven't been able to see any improvements with them, especially with the rolling shutter issues. The higher-end cameras use accellerometers or gyroscopes to determine movement. I can tell you one instance where it came in hand on my Sanyo. I was recording something from inside a friend's truck. But the idle on his engine cause the camera to shake considerably. I turned on the motion compensation and it took nearly all of that vibration out of the image.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:03 PM   #13

hmmm i was referring to the actual camcorder itself tht has these settings the vivitar, has this and a few others , not a security one :-)

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
mr_westie wrote:
Quote:

Which kind? The type fishycomics mentioned is the kind you would use for a security camera. The other kind of motion detection is what you would use for image stabilization. In the latter case, the Aipteks and other cheap cameras just use image comparison techniques. I haven't been able to see any improvements with them, especially with the rolling shutter issues. The higher-end cameras use accellerometers or gyroscopes to determine movement. I can tell you one instance where it came in hand on my Sanyo. I was recording something from inside a friend's truck. But the idle on his engine cause the camera to shake considerably. I turned on the motion compensation and it took nearly all of that vibration out of the image.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 5:36 PM   #14

Thanks for the quick response guys
I was interested in the security application.

Did find a manual eventually.
http://www.ispan.com.tw/products/files/231-1.pdf

3 Secs is a bit long to wait to start recording.
Guess I will just have to buy one and see if it will work as I had imagined.
mr_westie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 6:18 PM   #15

wh y would 3 secs be too long. camera is in a sleep mode, wakes up, starts recording, stops , falls back to sleep. yes a lot can happen in three secs. but if you're lookingfor something as a baby sitter camcorder

Wallmart has this device that records hours on end

for example my sanyo plugs into a external harddrive and walk away come back when the Hd is full.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:12 AM   #16

Welcome mr-westie,

I see you got a few responses and found the manuals on ispan before I could post.

I have both Digilife DDV-5120A and DDV-730 with motion detection.

I believe the camera analyzes the image for differences between frames. If it notices enough differences of enough magnitude over enough frames, then it decides to start video recording. Obviously, the camera has to be sitting around powered on for this to happen. The cameras detect motion immediately, but take about 3 seconds of detecting motion before they start videoing. They film for about 3 seconds after they don't detect movement. Very small/distant objects will not trigger it. On the other hand, you can trigger it by waving the camera around or panning, or waving your hand in front of it.

The DDV-730 has a nifty progress bar to display if it's noticing motion, and for how long. The bar shows you how long until it will start recording, or how long until it stops.

I do have to say that although this would seem like a great feature, I've never used it. (I also never use my i6's text recognition, don't expect to use the DDV-730's e-book function, and I very seldom use the remote controls or my little tripod.)

But if you have a specific need for motion detection, this may do the trick. The problem for security use is that these cameras must be powered up to do it.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 8:14 AM   #17

I would think up to two hours of bat life, and a quiet spot in the woods will capture what wescare away. to having a mouse andseeing ifwecan see it when notthere. to a babbysitter checking in on thekids. many possabilities to ONE
Old Feb 8, 2008, 5:23 PM   #18

How is the video input quality?
gekkonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2008, 8:26 PM   #19

The DDV-730 has no video-in port. Very unfortunate. Means I have to keep my DDV-920.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 3:48 AM   #20

OK all, A buddy of mine just bought the Digilife DDV-730 and showed me it. It's a great Camcorder . I want one too now. Anyways, I did a google search and searched Digilife DDV-730 Digital Camcorder and I got linked to an Ebay page. I see the bid starts at $199 and Buy it now is $249. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290205750562. This one comes with a 4GB SD card and a 1 year USA Limited Warranty. Anyways just thought I should let yall know. I'll let you all know how it went.
Attached Images

matok83 is offline   Reply With Quote