Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:54 PM   #11

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wVfpBjWtOoU

Proof is in the Pudding watch

I made a aV input vid

you must

1 set the tape up first let it play turn the camera on av input record step away do your bussiness and when finished hit stop

anything outside that relm will do exactly what you said

it is not a flaw it is how the camcorder works and Aiptek never states how to do it step by step we are the ones that find out the hard way

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 9:34 PM   #12

Hi Fishy

I seen your video before, read other reports on this camera. Many people have had good results with the video input. It works fine with the helmet camera, but not good with VHS / 8mm or other analog sources.

A/V input recording (following your directions) makes no difference. Recording will stop after a short time regardless of the method used. I have always started the source before connecting the cable and pressing record. This is the only way I know to get the video to even display on the screen.

I have the original firmware 1.6 (I believe). Will that make a difference?

thanks
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:05 AM   #13

I have to add here that several people including myself, have input video signals from 4-5 different devices into two Digilife models I own, and there has been no trouble with them, and no noticable loss of quality. In fact, the input from a TV look just plain excellent.

I think you have a problem somewhere. Cable? NTSC/Pal setting?
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:39 AM   #14

SG ,

ifyou do not own the A-Hd, for your information it s Av input is 720x480 a great improvement WOW is all i can say escellent move apon AIptek.

now what would you like me to do makea longe rvideo of a vhs just showing you:G.

itworks, and there may be something you are not doing correctly. not argueing but hmmm a further test will be needed to clearify

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
I have to add here that several people including myself, have input video signals from 4-5 different devices into two Digilife models I own, and there has been no trouble with them, and no noticable loss of quality. In fact, the input from a TV look just plain excellent.

I think you have a problem somewhere. Cable? NTSC/Pal setting?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:06 PM   #15

foxdirtrider wrote:
Quote:
The A-HD does not like poor quality line input video such as VHS source. It will stop recording and return to camera mode after a minute or so. It may not be the best device to convert those old home movies with...........
I've seen posts on RC airplane groups about this issue, or something similar. That the A-HD will stop recording if there's even a brief interruption of the signal from whatever camera is connected to the A/V input. I suppose if the quality of your VHS tape is less than perfect, there could be enough of a blip to cause the A-HD to stop recording.
No_Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:08 PM   #16

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
SG ,

ifyou do not own the A-Hd, for your information it s Av input is 720x480 a great improvement WOW is all i can say escellent move apon AIptek.
Actually.. Somebody sent me some sample video the other day from the AV input on the A-HD. It is most definately 320x240 video being interpolated up to 720x480. No question about it.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:20 PM   #17

not going to argue we are lied to by Aiptek too many times they say it is 720x480 I like to believe that and i am happy to say it is by far better than its older models

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
SG ,

Actually.. Somebody sent me some sample video the other day from the AV input on the A-HD. It is most definately 320x240 video being interpolated up to 720x480. No question about it.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:34 PM   #18

I have taken a sample and hope it is to your liking
please feel free to view and DL , decide if it is what you claim. there are some beniffets with theAv input and by far you cannot say it is a mono audi, with Hissing LMAO

http://www.vimeo.com/650571333 allow 10 minutes
Old Jan 30, 2008, 5:39 PM   #19

I can even tell by your vimeo post that it is 320x240, but it was far more obvious looking at the raw .MOV that somebody sent me yesterday. I suspect the reason they do this is because they don't want to deal with interlaced video. The problem is two fold. PROBLEM 1) Interlaced video requires a compression engine that can handle interlaced video, which means processing 60 frames per second at 640x240 resolution. Otherwise, if you just try to compress it as progressive video, you will end up with all sorts of nasty artifacts. PROBLEM 2) Most end-users have no idea what interlacing is. When they try to play it back on their PC it will not look very good unless they have proper playback software that can handle interlaced video well. Still frames look terrible because of the comb effect. So, often times discarding the second field will actually make the video look better in some situations, especially if you are uploading video to youtube. Youtube (and others) work best with progressive scan videos. So, that being the case, Aiptek probably figured it isn't worth the trouble to add interlaced video support, when most average users wouldn't benefit from it. I can understand that, and I'm okay with that. What ticks me off is that they advertise it as 720x480 capture, when it isn't. I suspect that they figure anyone would have a hard time proving that it is not 720x480, however I know an easy way to prove it. I could make a video where the even fields were one video and the odd fields a completely different video. Then burn it to a DVD and capture it from my DVD player. If you only see one video, you know the other fields are discarded.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 12:30 PM   #20

Is it confirmed that the 5120A will not record at D1 resolution when an external source is connected through the LINE IN ? BTW, Adric I found your Aiptek review on Youtube very informative and thorough.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote