Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:29 PM   #31

Titus, sorry I missed your question. From what I can see, most of the ratings on the helmetcams is BS. Just find a decent model that has a Sony HAD pickup in it and you will have a good quality picture. Most helmet cams produce between 250 to 350 lines of resolution. I own a cheap ccd no-name brand and also a Sony HAD model. Sony has a more detailed picture and accurate colors. Both do not compare to a good DV camcorder when viewing the image directly through the composite input on a high end monitor .At best my Sony HAD bullet cam produces 300 lines, far from the 480 or whatever silly claim was made by the mfgr / seller of the product.

I would stay away from any recorder that uses a hard drive for storage. One good fall and the drive can fail. SD based models will be far more durable for outdoor sport use.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:14 PM   #32

foxdirtrider, that's a nice piece of work you've done. I assume you use the remote to contol the camera. How do you deal with the footage being sideways?
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:27 PM   #33

The camera's imager is actually right side up when folded and used horizontally. No changes are needed. This camera is unique, the imager and lcd viewscreen are "one unit" and the entire assemby pivots 90 degrees inside the camera body.

See picture, note how the ccd imager assy looks in the "open" position. It folds flat by rotating 90 degrees, and laying the camera horizontal also rotates by 90 degrees, so the imager is still "up" when the camera is horizontal.

Link showing a front view of imager in closed position: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/IMG_2270.jpg

Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:47 PM   #34

Fox,

Thanks for the reply. I'm now able to make an informed decision. BTW, that mod you did on the Vupoint is very ingenious and the vids came out good.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:31 PM   #35

So turning the camera sideways cancels out operating it that way. Of course. How dumb of me. That worked out well though. As you say, this is the only camera that would do that. Handy.

Have you found the microphone is fairly insensitive?

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:42 PM   #36

I have no complaints with the sound. I intended to cover up the small hole in the front with tape before the ride, but forgot to. It still recorded decent sound, you can even hear the tire noise on pavement even though the engine overloads the mic.

I will make a clear cover for the front to protect the lens a bit better, and use some silicone around the mic to cover up the openings (because I cut open the front) to isolate it better. It will make a good backup to my "normal" helmet cam and Hi-8 camcorder setup.
Old Jun 15, 2008, 12:16 AM   #37

foxdirtrider wrote:
Quote:
I modified one of these to operate in the closed position and made up a bracket to mount it directly to my helmet. See pic:

I have uploaded some video clips from a dual sport ride last Sunday. It shows the Vupoint dv-da1-vp (same as ddv-5120) recording at 640x480. These are the raw clips, they have not been resized or converted. Original files can be downloaded.

You can see six clips here: http://www.vimeo.com/680288

Fox,

I have one of these ... I use it with a bullet camera. It will stay on and record if you use a bullet camera (and AV-in) when it is closed. You have to flip the screen around and close it, tho (play mode).

-- Rat

magic-rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 8:53 PM   #38

It does work via line input with a external camera. It locks the framerate at 20fps however. Not too good for fast action shots.

Even in its normal record mode you can get the camera to drop down to 20fps when the scenery has a lot of detail and you have fast camera movements. I used the camera as shown in the helmet mount for a 140 mile enduro ride last month. Street sections came out great, smooth 30fps. You can see the frame rate drop as soon as we hit the dirt sections. :sad:

See: http://www.vimeo.com/1044044

That is a link to part 1. The dirt sections start at part 4.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:00 PM   #39

Thks.

I was at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) today. We ran North Course (same one as the guys on TV in AMA Superbike.

I'll post some on-board of qualifying in the next day or so.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:17 PM   #40

I dropped a couple of the raw .avi files in this directory.

We are hitting about 160 mph on the front stretch (the digi0001 and 002 files). Nothing was holding the camera on except velcro as I didn't want to drill holes in this particular bike ... so some excess vibration.

They are about 220 MB each or so. I'll leave them out there for a couple days. Not the fastest server.

http://flandersland.tzo.com/bogus/