Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:13 AM   #1

Hi!

I am new a Digilife DDV-5120A owner and its my first digital camcorder.

I will use the AV-in function to convert my old analog recordings and I will use it for my home recordings.

You can look on a test a made filming a swimming contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0GIbmvFVE

I live in Sweden if you think my english is a little odd.:?
svanelind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:55 AM   #2

It looks nice. I've generally been impressed with the Digilife camcorders, though I have never actually used one myself. My only fear has been that the do not seem very reliable.

Oh.. Your English is fine. In fact, you speak it better than most of the immigrants we have around here from Mexico.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:04 PM   #3

Compliments all around. a perfect cam. you madea great choice a lil loud in the pool area, somefiltering or lowering would be best. but hey Perfection INGRISH is the new language LMAO
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:03 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum, svanelind,

I've had a 5120A for a year or so. It's the only hybrid I've had that has games on it. But that's a good way to use up the battery.

Your sample had nice color, and didn't look overly compressed. My main problem with the 5120A is that the microphone is not very sensitive. Swimming pools are pretty noisy places, so that wouldn't have been an issue for your sample.

(I've ridden a bicycle through Sweden, travelling from Oslo to Copenhagen. A fine country you have!)

Adric22, I've never had reliability problems with any Digilife camera. One design issue has been the battery cover on the DDV-920 that can loose its electrical connection. Oh, and the DDV-810 I had, had a loose blob of solder rattling around inside until I removed it. In fact, the only digital camera I've had that has malfunctioned was the Aiptek DV4500, which corrupted video clips so often I got into the habit of shooting everything twice.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:41 AM   #5

The only thing that I'm not satisfied with is the joystick to navigate in the menus. It's too sensitive. Do you know if there is a firmware upgrade for this camera? Why are there games in this sort of cameras I think it's a waste of space. I like this forum its fun to read.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:37 PM   #6

Yes, it's easy to press the function the wrong way with the joystick. The Sanyo CG65 has a much smaller joystick, but you seldom get your selection wrong. The Digilife joystick is an inadequate design.

The games are just a marketing thing. Probably they appeal to some demographic Digilife thought might buy these cameras. Some later Digilife's have 12 games, up from the 5120's 4. But their two latest cameras don't have games. The DDV-7300 doesn't even have mp3.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:20 PM   #7

Digilife 5120A seems to be the same model as the Vupoint DV-DA1-DV camcorder. If so, can you test the line input and see if you can only get 640x480 at 20 frames per second (very jerky video). I bought this model to use the line input function, and it is horrible. Low frame rate makes the videos look like stop motion video. Otherwise the camcorder is fine, especially the ccd pickup (no rubbery rolling shutter issues).

Vupoint has poor customer service and does not respond to emails, other than a "complimentary" greeting. Apparently there is no firmware support through them at all.

I have since bought an A-HD for use with the line input. It records 720 x 480 at 30fps. Works great with a helmet camera setup.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 5:28 AM   #8

Thats right its the same camera. I have uploaded sample to Youtube its a recording with a VHS-C camera I dont remember what brand but it was from 1992 i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iPRf-RXS_U
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:07 AM   #9

foxdirtrider wrote:
Quote:
I have since bought an A-HD for use with the line input. It records 720 x 480 at 30fps. Works great with a helmet camera setup.
I wouldn't be sure of that. Previous Aiptek products only pretend to record from line input at 720x480. I have been waiting for somebody to send me some raw sample video from the A-HD's line input so I can see for myself.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 6:00 PM   #10

Here are two VERY short clips. These wererecordedby theA-HD from aVHS sourcetape via line input. Download link will appear near the middle of the page after a minute or so.

http://www.4shared.com/file/36351761.../FILE0002.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/36351441.../FILE0003.html

The A-HD does not like poor quality line input video such as VHS source. It will stop recording and return to camera mode after a minute or so. It may not be the best device to convert those old home movies with...........
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote