Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 24, 2008, 8:14 PM   #1

Dear Sir/Madam,

I've just heard about "MP5 Players". I'm told they take photos,movies, and sound recordings. On the Internet I've found the Samsung S85 digital camera which seems to be a MP5 player. Can you tell me the brand names and model numbers for two of the top MP5 players on the market so I can look at reviews on your Website?

Thank you for your help.

Jude

VanCote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2008, 9:18 AM   #2

I've never heard of an MP5 player.. If one exists, it is most likely just a marketing buz-word and has no relationship to any real-life standard. There are a lot of low-end "MP4" players on the market, but even then they are not really MPEG-4 players, as claimed. Most of them are just MP3 players which happen to also play motion-jpeg videos when converted with their included software.

These hybrid video cameras are often advertised as "5 in 1" devices.. sometimes I've seen "7 in 1" but that is questionable.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:41 PM   #3

Dear adric22,

Thank you for your kind reply.

Can you tell me the key words I should use on Googleto find this kind of device that makes photos, video and sound recordings? Also, where on this Website might I best submit a question asking for advice on the best brand names and models to consider for purchase?

Thank you,

Jude
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:18 AM   #4

I don't think there's a generic term that will lead you to these cameras. I have to confess that I first found them years ago by searching Google for "cheap digital camcorder".

I suggest going to the Hybrid List, and doing searches for the names of various models there. You could start with eBay. Even if you don't want to buy from eBay, this will give you an idea of which cameras the on-line retailers carry, and also which ones are likely to be found in real stores.

Choosing specific models probably should start with knowing which features you want, and what you plan to spend. You can spend $50 to $1000 for a hybrid-type camera these days.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:28 PM   #5

Dear Sgspirit,

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try them out.

Jude
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:10 PM   #6

FWIW, I saw tech blog posts from CES recently about mp5 players, but they didn't seem to be taking these devices seriously. Then again, they don't take hybrid cameras seriously, either. :-?
No_Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:18 PM   #7

Dear No_Seriously,

Thanks for the input.

Jude