Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 28, 2008, 7:26 PM   #1

Has anyone tried to replace the A-HD lens entirely, rather than just put an adapter on the camera? Looking at the Micron site www.micron.com/innovations/imaging/lens- a couple of catalog vendors appear to have products, including some manual zooms, thatshould work on the A-HD.

Thanks.

sg333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2008, 7:24 PM   #2

Hi,

Maybe a little more clarification is in order. Basically, one of the knocks against the A-HD is that it has a plastic lens.

1. If the standard lens could be easliy swapped for a glass one, how much real difference should you be able to see?

2. Also,whether theplasticvs. glass issue is largley irrelevant or not, it still would be nice to have wide angle capability that would fit within the current camera shape. Was thinking about something like the following from Marshall Electronics (mars-cam.com) They are supposed to have an adjustable horizontal field of view from about 44 to 80 degrees:

Another company offering something similar is Lensfinder.com. This lens is said to have an adjustablehoriz field of view from 46 to 106 degrees:

Any thoughts ona lens mod this of this nature? It looks like you should be able to unscrew the Aiptek factory lens and then simply replaceit with something like the above. The harder partwould seemto be any modifications to the A-HD lens tube assembly so that you could manually move those levers.

Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:26 AM   #3

great observation, glad i am not the only one that notices a plastic snesor. the plastic may be part of the waviness my guess.

the lens barrel has a chrome cover, then a black cover they both can come off to expose the lens and adjustable mechanism, the macro/infinity isa switch ifbroken Stuck In macro not infinity . it is a plug in. and the black housing is in its way held in by a plug and play and a solder joint . only one tht can confirm this of removal has dissappeared , from the net here with the preamp mod Weekerman memory shy of the correct name(not going to look up).

the switch would fall deep in the cavity of the campossably if lucky near the macro/infinity switch sweet if fits there.

How much does thiscost. for me 20.00 got me a Wide angle, adaptor fits perfect but yes no optical zoom. so what might work would be leaving the whole lens alone and placing in front of the barral or within reach. may be a great project and step by step. opening up the cam issuper easy

"DON NOT REMOVE RIBBON CABLE" if you do bevery careful h ow it goes on. it will break the connection. there is plenty of play to get the board out without removal

there are youtube vids of it

setImgWidth();

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4

I'm very interested in this topic also, but was thinking of somehow modifying the lens/sensor structure to accept high quality C-mount 16mm movie lenses- which should be cheap and abundant. I read another post some time ago wherein someone had removed everything down to the sensor, and hot-glued an old zoom lens onto the camera body-(it was not the A-HD, but another Aiptek model). Any ideas on how this could be done without hiring a machinist ? Also have a couple of questions for Fishy, (tnx for all your informational videos Fishy, they've been great-liked your doggy too); Is the actual lens in the A-HD plastic, or just the plastic covering the end of the chrome barrel ? I'm dying to know what the A-HD image quality would be like with a high quality Switar attached. Wonder if it'd be much different.

Also, one other question for Fishy; Is there any way to load edited files back onto the camcorder, so that they can be played back thru my TV ? I've transferred such files back, they show up on my computer, but the camcorder doesn't see them. I've e-mailed Aiptek with this question, but haven't gotten a reply yet. This is about the only was to view these files full screen, unless you have a zillion dollar HD burner...
jboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:22 PM   #5

total media extreme is the software by Arcsoft, if you do not have it it cost 2.99 plusship and tax Aiptek should know about what they sell :G

Must do a better one but this shows exactly what you're asking.

http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-con...format-2216913

2. lens cover is glass use to be plastic

lens sensor may be plastic, but who knows could be glass questionable?

I have a pheonix wide angle adaptor magnetic , and can get a 2x tele on there too. I wonder if just working with it near the sensor and not removing would be fine

would a the Mod improve the vision hmmmmm I shall see what YOU bringto the tabble:G
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the TME referral, Fishy. I'm so happy to find this can be done. Did you happen to note, when you had your A-HD disassembled, whether the lens assembly mounted on the sensor could be easily removed ? Or was it permanently affixed to the sensor assembly ? I have an old Saticon tube broadcast camera, probably a $10,000 machine when it was new, and it'd be so great to be able to dissect the parts of the A-HD and reassemble them in this now obsolete camera. There must be thousands of these types of cameras lying around in dusty back rooms, just waiting for someone to come round and give them new life. I wish to hell I was a machinist.

And SG333, tnx for the links to the lenses above. That one from lensfinder looks really interesting, although I don't know if you could integrate the electronic aperture with the A-HD's circuitry. I'll see if I can find a schematic for the A-HD. That might answer this question...
jboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:14 AM   #7

you can tear the lens apart to the circuitboard.

the barrels are snap on, the black adjustable lens and focua peices are screwed on, the Sensor is on a circuit. the circuit is soldered , or looks like it is by one lil ball, and a plug .

I would have removed it all but that stopped me.

look for the member in the premp dissassembly if he is hanging around he removed all to get to the mic.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:49 PM   #8

Fishy,

Can you confirmthat this is a Micron sensor? Thanks.

Old Feb 1, 2008, 8:46 PM   #9

not sure i do appologise and will not open up my A-Hd
Old Aug 12, 2008, 12:34 PM   #10

Look here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...85&forum_id=92
capulet_x is offline   Reply With Quote