Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 30, 2008, 1:13 AM   #1

I went to Circuit City this evening and noticed they had a DXG-589V on sale for $47.

http://www.dxgtechusa.com/new/products-list.php?pid=26

So I checked to make certain I could return it, if not satisfied and I was told there would be a restocking fee; so I took a chance.

Well, I'll be returning it.

That price looked pretty good, but the image quality on this DXG model is quite miserable.

This camcorder records to XviD (MPEG-4 variation) at 30 frames per second at a terribly low data rate of 1.48 Mbps. This is an incredibly low data rate and the video quality reflects that. There seems to be a misprint in the manual, which states the frame rate is 20 frames per second. But all of my software sees 30 frames per second.

But the video looks like bad MPEG-1... color issues... fuzzy.

The audio is MPEG Layer 2 mono at 44KHz and only 64Kbps. Not too surprisingly, this audio sounds somewhat better than the audio from the Aiptek ISDV2.4, which instead records with only a 11.025KHz sampling rate using Microsoft ADPCM compression at 135 Kbps.

On the other hand, the video from the Aiptek ISDV2.4 is much better than the video from the DXG. Wavy, but clear and no color issues. (Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 v. 1.1 at 2.99Mbps.

It's too bad.

I would have kept this little camcorder --had it not been for the unbearably bad video quality -- because it came with a remote and has DVR functionality. And everything works; it's just the video stinks.

I hope DXG's forthcoming 720p model offers better video quality.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2008, 4:43 AM   #2

DXG506v won me over hands down. so i cannot see how this one is worse would it be better samples before a return.

now 50.00 wow that is cheap. CC sux on returns shouldhave them state it in ink no restocking FEE I am no longer a CC buyer forr those reasons they charge
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:15 PM   #3

DXG chose too low of a data rate for my model.

It's sad because I generally like everything about the camera except the one thing it's supposed to do best... record video.

The ISDV2.4's data rate is about twice as high; no surprise it's better.

Too bad Aiptek struggles with audio, however.

Private Idaho
Old Jan 30, 2008, 3:21 PM   #4

DXG (hann-Shing) DXG202V I had andreturned super super poor quality probably the same
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:41 AM   #5

I also picked one of these up at Circuit City and returned it last week. I didn't have to pay a restocking fee because of the problems they have. After about 5 minutes of recording into the Video Input the audio and video were out of sync.

Video quality was not nearly as good as even the MPVR
gekkonidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:42 PM   #6

Is this the same one Wal-Mart has been pushing for abour $79 lately? I have wondered what the quality was like. I'd like to see some sample videos.

Also, I have wondered for some time about these cheaper cameras that record in MPEG4. I wonder if it is really MPEG4 or just a bunch of I-Frames. (which would essentially make it Motion-Jpeg with an MPEG4 header) I know that older Sony cameras were bad about that.. But I think they did that more for compatibility with players because more computers would play MPEG out of the box than M-Jpeg.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:51 PM   #7

The frame rate appears to be so low...

...anything that moves appears to be moving in slow motion.

So it really did seem useless to me.

In addition, the data rate was half what one finds even on Aiptek SD camcorders.

Private Idaho
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:54 PM   #8

I paid $47 for mine and then returned it.

I'd say the quality of the video is so bad that DXG should actually be paying people to take this product off of the shelf.

A six-year-old kid might like something like this.

Private Idaho
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:03 PM   #9

You can DL an original clip from the thread on the video input comparisons.
gekkonidae is offline   Reply With Quote