Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 3, 2008, 8:16 PM   #11

Well, you don't need the Panasonic software, in reality.

On my Windows computer, I have Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

All I have to do is copy the contents of the SD card to my computer's hard disk using a typical card reader.

Then, I use Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus's "Import From Mobile Device" capture feature and I then browse to the location on my computer's hard disk where I saved the directory from the SD card.

From that point, it's a simple matter of just highlighting the directory and the ".MOD" file is captured as a typical MPEG-2 file to my Windows computer hard disk.

Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus can edit MPEG-2 natively, but I prefer to use Cineform's "NeoHDV" to convert the files to a special I-Frame .AVI format, which can be edited in virtually any Windows program.

On my Macintosh, I open the Panasonic .MOD files with a free program called MPEG Streamclip from http://www.squared5.com

I then convert to any format I want... usually to the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) .MOV format.

Then it is easily edited.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 9:08 PM   #12

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
Well, you don't need the Panasonic software, in reality.

On my Windows computer, I have Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus.

All I have to do is copy the contents of the SD card to my computer's hard disk using a typical card reader.

Then, I use Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus's "Import From Mobile Device" capture feature and I then browse to the location on my computer's hard disk where I saved the directory from the SD card.

From that point, it's a simple matter of just highlighting the directory and the ".MOD" file is captured as a typical MPEG-2 file to my Windows computer hard disk.

Corel's Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus can edit MPEG-2 natively, but I prefer to use Cineform's "NeoHDV" to convert the files to a special I-Frame .AVI format, which can be edited in virtually any Windows program.

On my Macintosh, I open the Panasonic .MOD files with a free program called MPEG Streamclip from http://www.squared5.com

I then convert to any format I want... usually to the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC) .MOV format.

Then it is easily edited.

Private Idaho

Thanks for reply.

I was hoping to keep this conversation going. I have learned the same this afternoon..

the bitrate variating broadly is the amount of data the camera takes in. It is according to light availabale. That is very dynamically digital.As its original file it always reads high, and that is no doubt for dvd purposes (constant bit rate).So, I did realize SDstudio was'nt necessary. I got a kick out of the title making page though:sad:

Today I had some recordings in the bright sun and reflecting snow, and bitrate was VBR on my pc over 10mbit. It is easier than I first thought to work with, and really can go anywhere with a fairly decent vid..as long as I learn the open source encoding tweaks (its infinite). I have narrowed it down quite a bit, and will no doubt get it correct as time with it goes by. ..and don't leave finger prints on that little lense (I ended up with a rainbow of ridges) seems like older mpeg2 stuff.. but isn't.

and lastly. I dropped it today ....

cmpletely unannounced accident. Lucky me. it works.

I have an impressed relative of this gadget, but did not recommend it, as he does not do alot with the pc or mac, I recommended a mpeg4 camera for him (as I would for alot who want oc vids more than dvd) is there a bullet proof mil standard mpeg4?

thanks again.

bgd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:10 PM   #13

The Sanyos are probably the best low-cost MPEG-4 hybrids available.

They sport a cute "ray gun" sort of shape that charms a lot of folks.

They employ some tricks to make the audio/video seem better than it actually is, too.

For example, Sanyo audio gain is turned up quite high, which maximizes the sensitivity of their onboard microphones and it also helps that they record MPEG-4 audio at 48KHz at 125 kbps.

To their credit, Sanyo has managed to do something Panasonic hasn't been able to do with the SDR-S10.

On my Sanyo VPC-CG6, I can hold the camcorder in my hand and twist it and move it and the recorded video/audio does not pick up the sound of the auto focus.

On my Panasonic SDR-S10, you will notice a slight hum when you move the camcorder with your hand; put it on a tripod and the noise goes away. It's the auto focus mechanism.

But when it comes to using the zoom, the Panasonic SDR-S10 is quiet; there's almost no perceptible zoom noise on my recordings.

With my Sanyo VPC-CG6, I can actually hear the zoom noise on my recordings whenever I utilize the zoom.

Sanyo also jacks up the gain on their video, which makes for a brighter picture (although some would say this also increases video noise in low light situations).

The Sanyo has a variety of internal video settings, including a "vivid" setting that basically boosts video color saturation to a very high level and that trick is something almost all consumer video enthusiasts fall for.

On balance, however, I'd say the Sanyos are now the best low-cost MPEG-4 camcorders available. Most of the faults of the Sanyo camcorders are faults that one can live with.

I might pick up a second Sanyo VPC-CG6 or a newer VPC-CG65.

I was toying with the idea of buying a pair of Chinese (Aiptek/DXG/Etc.) hybrids, but I just don't believe they're ready for prime time.

I have an Aiptek ISDV2.4. It's basically good for use as a Web video recorder or a "crash cam," but -- as far as I'm concerned -- that's about it. I'd never use it for anything else.

Private Idaho
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:50 AM   #14

For those who might be wondering, the Panasonic SDR-S10's video quality is far better than the video quality of the Sanyo VPC-CG6.

But that should not be surprising.

The Panasonic is using MPEG-2 for compression.

At the "XP" (highest quality) setting, the Panasonic video bit rate is 9.54 Mbps.

The Sanyo VPC-CG6's maximum data rate is 3 Mbps using MPEG-4 compression (not H.264).

How does the audio compare?

The Panasonic audio bit rate is 256 Kbps.

The Sanyo audio bit rate is 125 Kbps.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 4:48 PM   #15

Hey guys, I have a dumb question I think.

I record in 16:9 and when I try to play the video on Windows Media player they all play at 4:3 format. How can I get it to play 16:9?

BTW, I use this camcorder as a helmet cam for mountain biking and its great. It's light and cheap. The image stabilization is pretty good too.

biophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:44 PM   #16

Hi biophase,

It's not a dumb question.

My understanding is that Panasonic chose not to put the aspect ratio information in the normal place... the "header" of the .MOD file.

Instead, Panasonic may have put the information in the .MOI file that accompanies the .MOD file in the directory that is created on the SD card each time you use your SDR-S10 to record.

Panasonic's software can read this .MOI information and put it in the header of your files. It's the software that comes with the camcorder. I've not used it so I apologize that I don't know the specific steps.

But you could also use another program written by a fellow who has grappled with this very issue in Windows Media Player.

He's got a big forum for Panasonic SD card users... here...

http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php

...and he's written a program that sets the 16:9 flag in the .MOD files so that Windows Media Player will recognize them as widescreen.

That program is here:

http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?actio...c=280.0;id=153

Hope this helps,

Private Idaho
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:44 PM   #17

Hi biophase,

It's not a dumb question.

My understanding is that Panasonic chose not to put the aspect ratio information in the normal place... the "header" of the .MOD file.

Instead, Panasonic may have put the information in the .MOI file that accompanies the .MOD file in the directory that is created on the SD card each time you use your SDR-S10 to record.

Panasonic's software can read this .MOI information and put it in the header of your files. It's the software that comes with the camcorder. I've not used it so I apologize that I don't know the specific steps.

But you could also use another program written by a fellow who has grappled with this very issue in Windows Media Player.

He's got a big forum for Panasonic SD card users... here...

http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php

...and he's written a program that sets the 16:9 flag in the .MOD files so that Windows Media Player will recognize them as widescreen.

That program is here:

http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?actio...c=280.0;id=153

Hope this helps,

Private Idaho
Old Feb 5, 2008, 8:46 PM   #18

Here's a thread about this issue:

http://zyvid.com/smf/index.php?topic=451.0

Private Idaho
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:18 PM   #19

Private Idaho,

Thanks for the answers and information. Unfortunately, that sort of sucks since I don't edit my video.I usually just upload it to my computer and email some short vids out. From your answer it looks like I will have to modify the video or get all my friends and family to play the video on a different player. I'll probably record in 4:3 from now on.

I just tried the WS-SET program and the videolan.org player and both do not seem to work with the SDR-10.
biophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:13 AM   #20

here is a link to download full test vid. at vimeo.com .they seem to take cameras seriously and I uploaded original 704x480 and full version is downloadable. You may need to create an account...

http://www.vimeo.com/668685

It is by far as bad as it gets for me and little cameras as the environment. There is even a perfect smudge of grease on the lense. (smack dab down the middle) and it still did very good.

The file downloadable is original. 77mb. 9542kbit/s audio 256kbit and in XP mode 4:3. the pc loves widescreen (I would swear that is the only reason for invention) but I prefer 4:3 , as I use a tv not a"data tricking" mpeg4 wide screen. The next step after this quality is HD, and that is still outrageous to acheive on a budget that breaks these things.

The sanyos are very good, I had one for a very short time. Going to net with it or staying on the pc is very very easy and time saving, but as private idaho says...they tricked a few things away from real video to acheive it (20/10 vision gets the flaw every time). Anyway....

it is up to the persons intention. The sdr-s10 could be the greatest I have purchased yet (even if I break it...the build and numbers are so common sense I couldn't resist buying). i hope they continue this line of thought as a product in its own realm of necessity...

Thanks for help again.
bgd73 is offline   Reply With Quote