Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 31, 2008, 5:56 AM   #1

Hi, me again with another little problem. I have an A-HD. I like it, blah blah blah, but I'm having problems with the format it saves video files in. It's the weird MOV format. It works on my computer, but the thing is, it really lags. When I try to import it into my video editing software, the software slows down insanely and sometimes just crashes the program (The program being stuff like Adobe Premier and After Effects). I find that the only way to work with my footage is to open it in Windows Media (the only program that loads them correctly) and use Fraps to record the video into an AVI. Any conversion software lags like everything else and takes like 5 hours to convert a one minute clip.

Is there any way I can fix this? Maybe by applying Aiptek's decoder to my editing software somehow?
freelancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:44 AM   #2

Buy a super-computer, or try shooting video in 720x480 instead of high-def.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:53 AM   #3

Don't use quicktime to play those file, it's slooow (wait ! don't use that crap at all!). Renaming them to MP4 (it's the same) with correct codecs installed (like ffdshow + haali media splitter) will greatly help playback.

You can use ffmpeg or any derivative to remux the file from mov container to mp4 container in split seconds.
(time to update my app for sanyo hd1 i guess)
luckybaaljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4

I'd suggest using an intermediate codec designed specifically for long GOP file formats.

Cineform's "NeoHDV," for example:

http://www.cineform.com/index.asp?Pa...ID=86&HS=1

Apple computers all ship with the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).

Transcode then edit.

The only downside is you need a lot of hard disk space.

But transcoding to intermediate I-Frame codecs works wonders for the editing process, making high definition files as easy-to-edit as MiniDV. Audio problems go away too.

If your NLE can edit long GOP directly, chances are good that it does not do it perfectly.

Many people edit these files directly and then have problems that they don't see until they're made aware of them (such as tiny video noise at cut points and loss of video/audio synchronization).

I've tested almost all of them.

Private Idaho

Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5

luckybaaljr wrote:
Quote:
You can use ffmpeg or any derivative to remux the file from mov container to mp4 container in split seconds.
If you do that, you will not be able to open them in Premiere. I have to do the exact opposite, which is change them from .MP4 to .MOV so that Premiere will open them. But even the 640x480 files generated on my Sanyo CG6 really make premiere choke while editing. So, sometimes I'll go ahead and convert them to something that doesn't use any temporal compression such as DV or Huffyuv. That would most likely solve your performance issues, just changing the compression over to something that has no temporal compression. What that means is that the editing program can look at a particular frame without first decompressing the 20 or 30 frames in front of it. So codecs like MJPEG, DV, HuffYUV, or even MPEG formats when you select "I-Frame only" modes..
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:52 AM   #6

Since their updates last fall the Quicktime player can handle A-HD clips okay. Before that they choked or had problems. For editing I use Ulead's Video Studio 11+ version 2.5 which can load and edit the clips fine but before the update to 2.5 I had to rename the extension to MP4 for the clips to work somewhat right. This done on a 3.4 ghz P4 though I get even better perfomance on a dual core laptop even though the cores are rated at 1.7 ghz.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:24 PM   #7

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
This done on a 3.4 ghz P4 though I get even better perfomance on a dual core laptop even though the cores are rated at 1.7 ghz.
That is because it is a common misconception that Mhz or Ghz is the "speedometer" of how fast a CPU is. For years AMD and Intel were having a race of the Ghz because higher clock rates sounded good to the consumer. But once they started to hit the barrier of how fast you can actually clock a chip, they started focusing more on other things that really matter.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 5:47 PM   #8

I figured I'd come back and share what I ended up doing. I bought this device at Wal Mart for about 50 bucks: http://www.adstech.com/products/USBA...d=USBAV-709-EF

I saw it there and figured that since the A-HD can output video via A/V Cables (like to your TV) and it goes smoothely, why not try this? It fixed the problem.
freelancer01 is offline   Reply With Quote