Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 31, 2008, 8:10 AM   #1

I've been put in an irritating positioin. My wife's friend suddenly decided she wants to buy a digital camera. She's on a limited budget and wants to spend around $50 to $60. Naturally, they start hitting me up for me to basically pick out which camera would be best at that price range. Now, normally I'm really good at this kind of thing except for two problems:

1) The price range is one I haven't really got any experience in.

2) The primary purpose of the camera would most likely be for still images, not videos.

So my wife starts showing me these ads for various cameras at Wal-Mart, Target, etc... for cameras about $60. Most of these things are 5 to 7 megapixel with CMOS imagers and no optical zoom. So I told me wife it is likely that the picture quality would be similar to my Aiptek IS-DV2. So she took my IS-DV2 to work with her to let her friend try taking some pictures on it. I hope my analogy is accurate, it may not be.

The other thing I wonder about is if it wouldn't be better to take that money and go on ebay and buy a nice Sony or Fuji or something that is 2 years old or so. That way she would get an optical zoom, rechargable battery, and a CCD imager for similar cost.

Suggestions?
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:32 PM   #2

I'd buy a used dsc from eBay. I've bought several used hybrids that way, and they've all been in such nice condition it was difficult to impossible to tell they were used. Yes, there may be a possibility of encountering a scammer, but on the other hand, a used camera is known-good, as opposed to the chance of a doa on a new camera.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2008, 7:20 PM   #3

have you looked at target. notsaying the best place but takea look at Polaroid, Kodak, and the fuji they are probably the best low pice models

They say 4 meg 5x optical, now I hear 6,7 meg 3x opt

gowith a simple 3x optical and anything above 3 meg. I wouldalso keep in mind a optical view finder may be best

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:38 PM   #4

Hi Adric,

My only advice is that if your wife's firend has a limited budget, the question is then if she can afford to take the risk if something goes wrong with camera she that buys from a place like eBay, etc. I hear it is a nightmare to recoup if something goes wrong on eBay and trying to deal with hassles with online stores would be okay for someone with time and readily available cash on hand, but maybe not for someone in her situation.

I would say a brick-and-mortar store that has a good return policy may be the best way for a first-time camera owner. Then if she has any problems with it , she can take it back to the store (herself) and simply get a new one. The key issue is that you don't want this sale to cause a problem for your wife and her firend if things don't go as planned with it, so having a good safety net to preserve a friendship is paramount, IMO.

I hear Target has a 90-day warranty, but you may need to check that. I don't know if a $25 service guarantee is necessary for such a low-priced camera, but Best Buy seems to be the only one with a service gurantee that low.

Well, just some things to think about. Wishing you the best in your camera hunting.
3dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:05 AM   #5

3dcc wrote:
Quote:
from a place like eBay, etc. I hear it is a nightmare to recoup if something goes wrong on eBay and trying to deal with hassles with online stores would be okay for someone with time and readily available cash on hand, but maybe not for someone in
I have bought hundreds of items off of ebay over the last 6 or 7 years. I've never had a problem with any of it. I've also sold 20 or more items on ebay and nobody has ever complained that it broke on them later. Only problem I had was an item I sold was crushed by the post office..

Anyway, she still hasn't decided what she wants to do.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 8:51 PM   #6

I've made about 40 eBay purchases. Only two had trouble. One of those was for a Digilife DDV-S670. The purchase was troublesome and the seller never provided an sd card promised in the ad. The buyer next after me got ripped off, and soon after the seller was kicked off eBay.

Then there was a camera purchase and it developed that the seller didn't have the cameras for three buyers including me, and couldn't get them. After I impressed on the seller the importance of sorting this out, he speedily refunded everyone.

I've also bypassed some eBay offers because I was suspicious about the integrity of the sellers. For instance, I was after an expensive scanner. There was a seller with a new one, plus two other, but different scanners. Previous to that, he'd only sold a few very cheap things like trinkets or clothing. Looked pretty suspicious to me, so I ended up paying three times as much for a scanner from a store.

I do expect to get ripped off eventually. But overall, it's been no worse than shopping in person, and I've saved more than enough $$ to make it worthwhile.

I'll say again that I've always been impressed by the high quality of used items from eBay. Though there are ways around it for the determined, eBay is very self-policing, and anyone serious about marketing there just has to deal with integrity.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 3:45 AM   #7

Polaroidcs 3040s 54 wit ha sd card.

Ebay will now only accept positive feedback that to is not good ,and youcan complain in the community wil they take that away too.

Polaroid does make somenew ones that look nice as well as the Kodaks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2008, 7:35 AM   #8

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Ebay will now only accept positive feedback that to is not good ,and youcan complain in the community wil they take that away too.
I'm pretty sure that new policyis just for sellers leaving feedback about buyers. But buyers can still leave negative (or positive) feedback about sellers.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 1:30 AM   #9

CircuitCity has a Valentine's Day sale (til this Thursday) on the SAMSUNG S73 (7.2MP/3x/IS) point and shoot for just $79 -in PINK or SILVER!

"Movie modes: Capture spontaneous memories—shoot 640 x 480 (VGA) video, with sound, at 30 frames per second (fps)."

*Updated (2/11) link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

It is a beginner's point & shoot camera that gets good picture reviews (lots of photo samples on the web from this camera), although lousy battery life...so get a bunch of low-drain NiMH batts.

I may just spring for one.

wb9bbc is offline   Reply With Quote