Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:17 PM   #1

To anybody who has purchased an MDV+CB:

I'd like to know the sampling rate of the audio recorded with video by this model.

If you have one, please load one of your recorded MDV+CB video/audio files into your NLE and then check in your NLE's properties read-out to see the sampling rate of the audio of this model.

The ISDV2.4's video contains an audio stream with just an 11.025 sampling rate.

I'm curious to know if the MDV+CB model's audio records with greater fidelity.

Thanks.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2008, 3:32 PM   #2

I should clarify that the ISDV2.4's video includes an audio stream sampled at 11.025 *KHz.*

I'd like to know if the MDV+CB records at 11.025 KHz *or* 48KHz instead.

That would save me from the need to purchase one and test one myself.

Thanks,

Private Idaho
Old Feb 5, 2008, 9:38 PM   #3

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod3252478
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:06 PM   #4

Also, I've read many posts from the same individuals who say the audio and video synchronization is pretty bad with the MPVR and subsequent models such as this MDV+CB.

I wonder sometimes if the audio/video synchronization is a genuine issue or if individuals who tested possibly made mistakes or had computer issues.

?

The price tag on this model seems way too high.

Private Idaho
Old Feb 6, 2008, 3:25 PM   #5

The packaging for the camera I have said MPVR+ CB. Can I assume this is the same camera you're talking about here? It does have the synchronization issue--not just on the computer--it's actually visible while playing a video in the camera. Sometimes it's very obvious, sometimes less obvious. But you can judge for yourself. This is a link to an unedited, unsynchronized video straight from the camera, recorded to line-in from a TV broadcast. 38 seconds, 18 megabytes. Please excuse the cheesy content. :-)
http://www.4shared.com/file/37061707.../CLIP0450.html

Audio sampling rate--this is what WMM shows for that same clip (camera was set to D1 for recording):

Edit: In a video recorded by the camera as a camcorder, the bitrate drops to 44 kbps and the sample rate drops to 11 kHz, 1 channel. Also set to D1.

As for the price tag, I got mine at Target for $79 before Christmas. At that price, I can live with synchronizing the audio myself. For what I've seen other places charging, I wouldn't have bought it.
No_Seriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 4:26 PM   #6

That is the same unit I had briefly, and I can assure you the audio problem is real. I tried several different video players on several different computers. Also, as mentioned in the last post, it wouldn't even play correctly on the camera itself on the LCD or when connected to a television.

I returned mine because I paid $149 for it. However, had I paid $79 or less, I might have kept it and lived with the audio problem. As we've discussed before, it can be fixed, often without even re-encoding the video stream.

The IS-DV2 also has sound sync problems, but they are nowhere nearly as bad as the MPVR and most of the time it goes unnoticed. This is especially true indoors because the shutter speed is so slow that you can't quite make out when the mouth of the speaker (or other sounds in the video) should actually coincide with the audio.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2008, 5:08 PM   #7

Thanks, that pretty much convinces me to pass.

You know, my ISDV2.4 doesn't have a synchronization problem that is truly bothersome.

I got mine on sale.

The main reason I have it is to use it as a crash cam or as second web cam.

It's too bad that Aiptek chose that 11.025KHz sampling rate; that pretty much ruins the fidelity of the audio recordings.

That's the #1 problem with the camera, as far as I'm concerned.

Apparently, it's even worse with the MDV+CB and similar models.

Too bad.

I'll pass.

Private Idaho