Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:11 PM   #21

Yeah, that one was as "spur of the moment" as they get.I just saw my borther run for the bathroom and his girlfriend after him. Wide angle would have helped out a lot.

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
http://www.vimeo.com/477735

Thanks to Webshark...... you have your wish and by far all looks fine to me enjoy
Interesting. That was definatly not a planned video, and it is some of the worst videography I've ever seen. But that it kind of what I was looking for. It appears to be indoors in what I would consider less than perfect lighting. But the camera seems to do well with adapting to the lighting situation. However, the rolling shutter is quite obvious in this clip.But, I would imagine that if that same clip had been taken with my IS-DV2 or an MPVR the quality would have been a lot worse.
webshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:11 AM   #22

Hi webshark3:

Thanks for making the video accessible. Yeha, I agree, that is a good reason why the Aiptek is a good camera to have...if it gets killed going downhill in the snow, you won't feel as badly, not like as if it were a $300-$500 camera.

Oh, btw, the 25th birthday party vid is good in showing how the Aiptek deals with varying light sources. Also I like how the neon signs show up in it. Btw, was *nightshot* mode enabled during that one?

Thanks.
3dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 9:09 AM   #23

Thanks, the Bar shot is pretty poor, but I must say, no poorer than my DV camcorder in low light. Audio is another thing...

I did not have Nightshot enabled. I find it too jittery. I prefer to crank up the gain (also not done on that clip) in Post Processing.

I have a few indoor shots. I see which ones I can get posted.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 12:50 PM   #24

Quote:
webshark3 wrote:
Quote:
The real reason to own a cheap HD camcorder.

http://www.vimeo.com/673175
Now that I can see the clip.. Okay, two comments to make:

The Good: The camera seems to do well in the snow. Many cheap cameras will not do well because all the white will make the camera think it has overexposed the image and will go very dark. (The IS-DV2 is a good example) The A-HD seems to do really well with this. Also, the audio sounded fine to me, considering the circumstances.

The Bad: I know people are tired of hearing this.. This particular example shows just how bad a rolling shutter can be. All that vibration cause huge distortions in the video and several frames the person's face was stretched out like a rubber band. I think the A-HD does fine in slower-moving scenarios, but if I were taking videos like this on a regular basis, I'd definately want a camera with a CCD.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 1:09 PM   #25

adric22 wrote:

The Bad: I know people are tired of hearing this..* This particular example shows just how bad a rolling shutter can be.* All that vibration cause huge distortions in the video and several frames the person's face was stretched out like a rubber band.** I think the A-HD does fine in slower-moving scenarios, but if I were taking videos like this on a regular basis, I'd definately want a camera with a CCD.

[/quote]

If you are right about CCD vs. CMOS for video, can you explain why all of Sony HD camcorders are using CMOS sensors? I do not see anyone complaint the distorted pictures due to CMOS sensors with Sony HD camcorders.
Tebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:10 PM   #26

Quote:
If you are right about CCD vs. CMOS for video, can you explain why all of Sony HD camcorders are using CMOS sensors? I do not see anyone complaint the distorted pictures due to CMOS sensors with Sony HD camcorders.
[/quote]

We've been over this a lot in the forums. But to re-itterate. "Rolling shutter" is one of the ways a CMOS sensor can be implimented. But it doesn't have to be. They can also use "global shutter" or even a mechanical shutter for that matter. But it is cheaper to impliment the rolling shutter as it makes many things easier in the implimentation. CCD, on the other hand, can only use global shutter.

So I suppose I would have been more accurate to word my response as "I would want a camera with a global shutter if I were taking videos like that often." Which would almost neccessitate a CCD because currently none of the low-end hybrids that have a CMOS sensor are using global shutter.

Aiptek's products keep getting better and better, but if they ever want to compete and take a bite out of the consumer camcorder market, I think they'll need to go to a global shutter and fix their audio and quality-control issues.

Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:40 PM   #27

http://www.vimeo.com/685595

webshark3 , perfection caught on tape is all one can ask, if you have a few other angles and edited, then the pic be even more of a precious moment .

Hope you do not mind and will delete, you may save and add to your on collection.

I have cleaned up the sound, lowered a little and added a stabilization and left it to show if the camera had such a thing you'll see a black box, it can be corrected and taken out, i thought I leave it at that , Allow Adric22 to further commment on his excellent work.

No matter what the stabilization by a program did not do well, nor the sound there is a Muffle and distortion, and I am sure some filter of a cotton or firmware would be best as for the shakiness. a rig with a spring or float a homemade steadycam do best does not have to be big but about a foot take that shake away. best to be safe then tumbling down a lil hill. to me

it is a priceless moment.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:33 PM   #28

Fishycomics.. What software did you use for that? That is really interesting. Unfortunatly, it doesn't address rolling shutter, but I can definately see how it helps the shaking. I have seen a software demo that does compensate for rolling shutter artifacts, and it does something similar, putting black lines down the sides but they are slanted black lines. However, if you cropped the video down some after doing the compensation, the final video would look really great (albeit at lower resolution)
Old Feb 12, 2008, 4:46 PM   #29

This was done with magix pro editor 12 I'll correctly finish the clip this time, you have that option to cut the boarders off.

I wanted to try Vegas but sometimes it is a pain as well, I'll see ifafobecan do it too, but all in all the Aiptek and software needs a few more generations to work out all the kinks,

glad it is still keeping interest LMAO

added the checked box it onlytakes out the sides not realy the box letter or 16:9 widescreen
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 5:36 PM   #30

Thanks fishy. Nice job. You're more than welcome to edit and post the clips.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro to stabile and adjust audio. So far, can't get it to support my A-HD clips, even after ripping them to straight AVIs.

I'd definately stablize as the end product will e a lower resolution DVD anyways, so no "real" loss.

I just got my $2.99 Total Media Extreme Disk today, so I'll be playing with that for awhile. SO far, a neat little app for $2.99. Frustrating after having Adobe Premiere Pro, but definately worth $2.99 (in a good way).