Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:54 AM   #51

Thanks, Nikogrel, for responding and posting the lighting information about the shot

[Oh, and thanks for the textual "bleeps" in your friend's dialogue. ]

The video you posted on that site is very good quality compared to what you get on YouTube. One thing I really notice, though, is that the v1.6 firmware seems to be more forgiving in low-light situations than the 2.002 I get blue vertical streaks when the light is too low and that can really be an issue at times. This problem seems to be intermittent, but when it happens, it makes the video look really ugly. :sad: I wish there was a way to revert back to the old firmware, but from what Fishy says, there
isn't.

Well, looking forward to seeing your other videos. :-)

3dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:39 PM   #52

No problem!

Actually, I was going to upgrade to the newer firmware. It's a good thing I'm the type who researches a ton before making any "upgrade". I read about many users having that same problem, as well as getting more grain or weird contrast issues, after upgrading to the newer firmware.

For any high quality movies (not for my test videos), I now use an external sound recording system for all movie audio. That being said, The imporaved sound with the firmware didn't matter at all to me. I was only worried about video quality. Since I read so many reports about the new firmware decreasing video quality, I chose to stick with 1.6.

I was hoping they would adress the issue with new firmware... If they do I'll upgrade.
Nikogrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 4:46 PM   #53

webshark3 wrote:
Quote:
I'll upload the video shortly (not impressive at all). Here's a comparison.

First shot is from my Canon 300D with Tamron 28-75mm lens.
ISO 100, 1/2000sec, F8, 75mm. (HEAVILY cropped)

Second one is the Aiptek A-HD
ISO 300, 1sec, F2.8, ~35mm (?) (HEAVILY cropped)
The main problem with the A-HD in this particular scene appears to be that it is overexposed. I have noticed Aiptek's products tend to have very poor auto-exposure and the manual exposure settings are almost useless because it seems more like a fine-tune setting rather than a full-control setting. So when the camera makes a mistake and greatly under or over-exposes something, there is no way to tell the camera to do something else. I was impressed with the video we saw recently in the snow that somebody took with the A-HD, because I'm pretty sure my IS-DV2 would have greatly underexposed that. Whenever it decides to snow here in Dallas/Ft.Worth area again I'll find out. But I know it extreemly bright situations, such as looking at the sky or water, it will do that. The same thing applies in a dark situation. If there is one small light source somewhere, it will ignore that and worry about the "bigger picture" and try to keep increasing exposure. But all that does is wind up overexposing the one lighted item you were trying to capture.

Unfortunatly, the Sanyo CG6 doesn't have a manual exposure setting, but it does have 3 different schemes for determining the exposure and focus that you can adjust. These are activated when pressing the shutter button down half-way. In a case like this, themoon would have had to be centered on the screen near the little cross-hairs and you would have to set the mode to "center" but it would have probably worked. I thought about trying it during the eclipse, but had too many other things to do.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 1:03 AM   #54

Nikogrel wrote:
Quote:
No problem!

Actually, I was going to upgrade to the newer firmware. It's a good thing I'm the type who researches a ton before making any "upgrade". I read about many users having that same problem, as well as getting more grain or weird contrast issues, after upgrading to the newer firmware... Since I read so many reports about the new firmware decreasing video quality, I chose to stick with 1.6...
Alas, I wish I had even the option to purchase my A-HD with the v1.6 firmware, but the one I purchase a month ago only came with the 2.002. And when I shopped around at different stores, I only saw packages with the new firmware, not the older one. I was hoping against hope that somehow mine would come with the 1.6 firmware, but when I did the firmware check in the camera, it wasn't the case. :sad:
Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:08 AM   #55

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
The main problem with the A-HD in this particular scene appears to be that it is overexposed. I have noticed Aiptek's products tend to have very poor auto-exposure and the manual exposure settings are almost useless because it seems more like a fine-tune setting rather than a full-control setting. So when the camera makes a mistake and greatly under or over-exposes something, there is no way to tell the camera to do something else...
Hmm, I am not familiar with this issue because the Aiptek A-HD that I have has fairly good auto-exposure and the manual exposure has always worked for me in correcting what the auto-exposure may not pick up on. Actually, I have done some experiments with combining auto-exposre, manual exposure, and Night shot to override some of the grain issues in the latest firmware, for really low-light situations, and for some scenes this is helpful.

I've uploaded a couple of pics I just took of my keyboard and remotes Yeah the keys are a bit dirty, but this is part of the point; you can still see the detail. The light in the room is very low level. At first I was getting streaks in the frame, particularly on the darker objects in the room, but then I dropped the exposure down by -2 (yes, decreased, not increase), and I was able to take these images without any real streaking or heavy grain. And if you look close enough, you can see some of the dust and stains on the keys (of course the original is better, but I had to decrease it in size to post to the forum). So all in all, I was able to overcome the low-light issue by using the manual exposure along with the auto-exposure (No "Nighshot" setting, however, this time).

Now, I have to say, video is a bit of a different matter. There are still streaks with this method, however, they are greatly reduced. So this approach is still helpful, IMO.

One thing that I have noticed, though, with the A-HD (and I still need to do more testing) is that it seems to like to "warm-up" when you first turn it on. What I mean is that it seems to do better with the auto-exposure if you turn the camera on and then wait just a bit before taking off the lens cap. But again, I have to do more experimenting to see if this is consistent or not.

Attached Images

Old Mar 1, 2008, 2:10 AM   #56

...and here is the pic of the remotes (darker objects that originally showed streaking)...
Attached Images

Old Mar 3, 2008, 12:53 AM   #57

This clip really shows off the A-HD's color range: Soldier and Dog - http://vimeo.com/658326
Old Mar 3, 2008, 11:11 PM   #58

It's not the most professionally done video by any means, but I did a short comparison video of footage from the Canon TX1 vs the Aiptek A-HD.

The A-HD stands up fairly well in video quality and really only get's beat with the zoom and sound recording capabilities of the Canon. The Canon handles motion better, but when the light levels go down you'll wish you had the A-HD.

http://blip.tv/file/667698
elasticcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 1:00 AM   #59

elasticcow wrote:
Quote:
...he A-HD stands up fairly well in video quality and really only get's beat with the zoom and sound recording capabilities of the Canon. The Canon handles motion better, but when the light levels go down you'll wish you had the A-HD.

http://blip.tv/file/667698
Thanks for sharing the comparison. One good thing, at least, is that the sound issue with the A-HD can be resolved fairly straightworwardly (with a firmware update or a better mic). The optical zoom is another issue, though. But the price difference between the two is amazing! And I have to admit, I like the "look" of the A-HD better .

I am hoping that the Aiptek people will be able to get the sound issue corrected soon. That is the first drawback. The digital zoom is more of a limitation than a drawback, I guess, but offering an optical zoom option will be another plus.

Oh, btw, I found this review of the Canon TX-1 on Youtube.
Canon PowerShot TX1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OQo57RAnBM

Can't believe he paid $500 for his unit, though! :shock:Sounds like if he waited for a while and saved up, he could have gotten the
CanonHV20 HD Camcorder - http://www.lowpricedigital.com/item....FQIqHgodnBf0qw

Old Mar 6, 2008, 11:10 AM   #60

3dcc wrote
Quote:
Thanks for sharing the comparison. One good thing, at least, is that the sound issue with the A-HD can be resolved fairly straightworwardly (with a firmware update or a better mic). The optical zoom is another issue, though. But the price difference between the two is amazing! And I have to admit, I like the "look" of the A-HD better .
Are you referring to 1.6 or 2.X?

I have 1.6 and a ton of issues with audio.
webshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote