Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:04 PM   #1

Just thought I'd start this thread promoting the Aiptek A-HD.

Here is a clip that I think really shows the quality of the A-HD very well:

Quality Test #1: Aiptek A-HD Video Only (No Sound) -
http://www.mefeedia.com/entry/qualit...sound/5913918/

The available lighting in this scene seems to be what the A-HD likes (wish I had the lighting scheme for this. )

Enjoy
3dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2008, 10:50 AM   #2

That doesn't look too bad. I wonder why it has no sound. I'm still waiting to see some real-life footage of the A-HD indoors and outdoors. And when I say real-life, I mean videos that aren't planned. That is a true test of a camera's ability.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 11:46 AM   #3

adric22,

I honestly doubt you would be happy with an A-HD.

You've already gone to great lengths to point out the weaknesses of Aiptek camcorders with their wavy video (CMOS imagers).

Perhaps the A-HD offers a full 30 frames per second frame rate.

Perhaps the A-HD offers 48KHz audio sampling.

But can you live with the wavy video?

If you're wanting high definition, then -- based on your enthusiasm for the Sanyo VPC-CG6 -- it would seem that you might be happier with the Sanyo VPC-HD700.

No wavy video (CCD).

Just a thought.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Hi Private Idaho, Hi Adric22,

I just did a Google on the Sanyo VPC-HD700 that you recommended to Adric22, Private Idaho, andYikes!I'm seeing prices around $339-$599!And I have seen prices for the Sanyo VPC-CG6 starting at $395! Adric22's pockets are probably deeper than mine, but it's seemsdifficultto think ofshelling out that much for Sanyo camcorders when theCanon HV20 HDV camcorder starts at $499 from some dealers(see: http://www.lowpricedigital.com/item....FQQ9IgodHzDUNw)

But I think that for the $119 I spent for the Aiptek A-HD, itwas the most senisble camcorder for thequality and price.

As far as wavy video goes,the only wavy videoI have noticed is at 1080 in low-light, whilepanning.I will have to see how it does in full daylight, but this doesnt bother me right now for my uses since I am currently using D1.

Well, I'm not sure ofanyreal-life indoor/outdoor videos that don't have some degree of planning in them, except for on-the-spot event shootings like disasters, etc., however, I have seen videos like "Lair of the Bear" on YouTube and its original web site that was very impressive. Adric22, you may want to keep an eye on YouTube to see if you can spot some of those impromptu A-HDclips you are looking for. You may be surprised.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 2:07 PM   #5

Nicely done sound or no sound. could not agree more.

it is best said just hire a camera crew the writers strike is going to last for a long, long time will you be happy then?:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 3:28 PM   #6

The Sanyo VPC-CG6, in reality, is an older model that is close to being phased out.

It should be noted that you can buy one at Wal-Mart for $199, which is a pretty decent deal.

The Sanyo VPC-HD700 now costs around $500.

However, I would point out that even that model was -- last Fall -- offered at a sale price of $299 on Amazon.com.

No wavy video from either model.

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 4:41 PM   #7

Private Idaho wrote:
Quote:
I honestly doubt you would be happy with an A-HD.
Well, keep in mind.. when I judge a product I keep the price in mind. Remember that I use an IS-DV2 very often and carry it around with me everyday.I'm quite used to the wavy video and how to minimize its effects. I'm sure the A-HD would be much better quality. But keeping in mind the reason I carry the IS-DV2, the fact that it is disposable due to its low replacement cost, that may not apply to an A-HD.

However - most of my critisizm towards Aiptek has been because of their marketing gimmicks and outright lies about their products.

If I did own an A-HD, I'd probably use it in D1 resolution most of the time. I have considered buying one for a while, but I keep waiting for the price to drop under $100. It will eventually.

Oh.. and those HD Sanyo cameras are way beyond my budget.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 5:17 PM   #8

2words

IT DID
Old Feb 7, 2008, 5:53 PM   #9

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
That doesn't look too bad. I wonder why it has no sound. I'm still waiting to see some real-life footage of the A-HD indoors and outdoors. And when I say real-life, I mean videos that aren't planned. That is a true test of a camera's ability.
http://www.vimeo.com/477735

Thanks to Webshark...... you have your wish and by far all looks fine to me enjoy
Old Feb 7, 2008, 8:19 PM   #10

Hi Adric22:

About two weeks ago, the A-HD was down to $119 at Target (I even posted it). I couldn't wait until it dropped below $100 because I have already been waiting for quite some time. So I bit at the $119 and am glad I did. If you can wait and find it for under $100, more power to you.:-) I wish I could wait but I am so behind as it is.

Well if you find it below $100, please let us know.

Hi Private Idaho:

Wow $500! That's still out of my league. But would you say that the Sanyo VPC-HD700 is comparable to the Go-HD or the A-HD?

Hey Fishy:

Thanks for the link...I'll check it out later. :-)

Cheers.