Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 14, 2008, 4:28 PM   #1

This is a two-step process which will allow you to play your A-HD and GO HD files without recoding them on a BluRay player (at least they work on my Sony BDSP-300).

1: Download a copy of Yamb:
http://yamb.unite-video.com/
Be sure to get the file with installer as you'll need the MP4Box program too.

2: in Yamb under Editing select Click to extract streams from AVI/MP4/MOV/TS files.

3: Select the MOV file you want to convert. And select Extract All Streams to RAW format.

4: This will create an .h264 video file and an .aac audio file.

5: Download a copy of TsMuxer:
http://www.smlabs.net/tsMuxer/tsMuxeR_1.2.9.zip

6: Run tsMuxer and add the .h264 and .aac file to the list.

7: Select M2TS muxing and a .m2ts file will be created.

8: My Sony player doesn't recognize .m2ts files (unless they're in a BluRay disk structure which you can also do from tsMuxer) but it will if you just rename the extension to .mpg and put it on a DVD ROM disk.

9: Burn your files to the disk and play it on your BluRay player. Note with mine the display will say "DVD Data" so you select "Top Menu" and you will get a list of "Movie, Pictures, Music." Select "Movie" and your file(s) will be listed can be played.

I was surprised that the Sony player could play AAC audio so no recoding was needed there either.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2

If you get one of those cheap philips players that supports Divx and has the slogan "You burn it, we can play it" you will be able to play the videos on it just by burning them to a CDROM or a USB stick. However, I discovered the other day that the device only supports USB 1.1 because I put a very high bitrate movie on the USB stick and it played very jerky. But I burned the same file to a DVD-RW and it worked fine.

Only thing is.. I'm not 100% sure it supports quicktime. I've never actually tried. But you could always stream copy over to something else.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 12:00 PM   #3

I have the "not so cheap" AVeL Linkplayer2 which also plays Divx but unlike the "cheap" Philips can play hi-def Divx files too (as well as WMV, MP4, MPEG-2) in hi-def. It can also play some MOV files but not ones with AVC. It's too old. And it's entirely possible that Sony (and others) could add Quicktime playback on BluRay players. They've added Divx on the PS3 recently. All I wanted to do was find a solution (since others have asked here) to being able to play Aiptek AVC files without re-encoding. The process I outlined just re-wraps the streams and takes almost no time.

Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:07 PM   #4

My $59 philips player will play high-def mpeg4 content, but it requires you be connected with the HDMI cable in order to do it.

Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:11 PM   #5

Which model is that? Does it play in hi-def or just 480p?

Old Feb 18, 2008, 1:31 PM   #6

I don't think your player can actually play the hi-def MP4's. What I've found is none of the Philips players support that. There are a few that support displaying high resolution JPEGs but not video. I tried one of my 720p Divx files on a Philips that plays Divx and it displayed "resolution not supported." Also the talk on the Philips players over on AVSForum is thats what they get when they try to play hi-def video files on a Philips. To my knowledge the only players that play hi-def files are the AVeL Linkplayer2, the JVC version of the same and the Buffalo player. All these use the same Sigma Graphics chipset which unfortunately lacked support for AVC. There may be some KISS players too but they are more expensive (my Linkplayer2 was $250 and also plays files off the network as well as USB sticks).

Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:17 PM   #7

Sorry.. I wasn't ignoring you. I just haven't remembered to look at the model# when I am at home. (I usually post on here when I'm at work) and I keep meaning to actually try a high-def movie of some kind on there. The trouble is.. the only high-def video files I have at home are in the Matroska (.MKV) container and my philip's player won't recognize those. So to be honest, I'm not sure I've ever seen an HD video on it. Yes, it definately does high res JPEG as I have tried that already. I'll have to find a sample clip somewhere in .AVI and see what it does with it.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 6:46 PM   #8

You can find some files on www.divx.com on Stage 6. Here are some trailers in HD you can download:
http://www.stage6.com/HD-DVD

Old May 27, 2008, 10:47 AM   #9

Hdguy,

thanks for the info. I have been looking for a fastway to do this and I will try this later when I get home. I am trying to take my aiptek HD mov files and re encode them to play on my PS3. I have a 500 gb external hardrive on my computer networked to my ps3 and HDTV and want the most seamless way to record on my aiptek, convert, copy to hardrive and watch on my TV. This sounds like it may be the fastest. I just did the Ulead videostudio plus last night and made a avchd disk which worked great on my ps3, but it took all night to encode 30 minutes of video.

One other thing. My ps3 isn't recognizing the .jpg picture files that the aiptek takes but it recognizes all my other .jpg files from my digital camera. Does the apitek make some othe form of .jpg file?

Joewee is offline   Reply With Quote