Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:29 AM   #11

Hope this added info helps with the additional photoshop markup. I;ve updated the orginal posts to make it clearer and recheck the part number

Wiring: Underneath the board-mount jack there will be 5 terminal lugs, on the back of the package will have the diagram labeling terminals
terminal 1-ground (base of jack),
and (from memory) terminal 2 which is the line in
and terminal 3 is the selective disconnect from line 2 when the 1/8 jack is inserted..

Orginally, the circuit will run: from the board (+), red wire, terminal 2, terminal 3, yellow wire, to the mic wire that was cut (see beige wire in the markup photo), the mic capsule itelf, and then into the board (-) (the side nearest to the lens).

When the 1/8" jack is inserted the flow will go like this: from the board (+), red wire, terminal 2, external mic PLUG TIP , the external mic itself, then back to the plug BASE /grnd of the ext. mic. plug, terminal 1, black wire, and into the board (-).

Note that the black wire AND, the INTERNAL mic (neg/Grd) wire, AND board (-) are connected together at a common point here.

By the way, the orginal internal mic, has very little slack in wire between the mic capsule and the pc board, so when I additionally replaced the internal mic with the radioshack model, the extra length was useful in positioning the wires and providing a place to solder the black and yellow wires onto in the circuit.

Attached Images

88impact_blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:41 AM   #12

Lastly, this mod is not as useful when you plug in a computer mic into it. Since a computer mic has some wire slack you can use it like a hand held interview mic, but the usable range is not useful someone more than 4-5 feet away (which is the same range as the internal mic.

***edited update in June 2008*** *** I found out some PC mics which work fairly well, see farther down in this thread about the the use of NOTEBOOK mics which work very well***

I also plugged in the jack with one of my kids toy SPYear amplifed listening devices. The mic and signal was too harsh, broke up, and sensitive in setting.

So it means this is only worth it if you already have an amplified mic or can get a cheap amplified mic, (or make one yourself) otherwise, it may be better to save for a better 720p camcorder (possible larger than pockesize).

Also remembering to turn on the powered mic is a pain, since there is no direct monitor of the sound level through the a/v input output in the earphone mode. I've had test sessions with the mic off/ I'd hate to ruin real footage because I forgot to turn on the mic or that the battery died in the mic.

Attached Images

Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:28 PM   #13

Heres is nother example of someone else who has added a mic jack and tested
Video is also in HD
http://www.vimeo.com/804113

Hopefully aiptek would be conviced that its worth upgrade the mic in its next version, or at least add a mic jack....
Old Apr 20, 2008, 5:56 PM   #14

I took apart my 720p to replace the microphone. I want the unit to still look clean and new so I'm not doing any of the hacks I've seen. I would love an external jack. I had a thought... but my soldering skills are amateurish. Someone could repurpose the HD output plug to use that as a mic input. Personally, I dont have an HD tv, and even if I did, how often would I regret not having the ability to play a video FROM my camcorder to the tv (in high definition). Of course the normal A/V in/out would still stay in tact. But I imagine this can be done rather simply by desoldering (if its even necessary) the jack, gluing it in place, and than bridging the jack by some short wires over to the microphone. I personally would like to keep the mic in tact also so you would need a way to switch it off. Maybe a small simple switch under the silver grill up top.
joeny1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:46 PM   #15

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/EVERYD%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/img]Here is a picture with a new mic ( GE detachable notebook mic), from target.
http://www.vimeo.com/994164/

In another post Fishy wants somemore test videos with the sound. I'll have to do it tomorrow and put it up in Vimeo.

Attached Images

Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:58 PM   #16

I understand the pic is here, and it's old

I have the jack plug a a lil easier diagram is needed.

88impact_blue88 wrote:
Quote:
Hope this added info helps with the additional photoshop markup. I;ve updated the orginal posts to make it clearer and recheck the part number

Wiring: Underneath the board-mount jack there will be 5 terminal lugs, on the back of the package will have the diagram labeling terminals
terminal 1-ground (base of jack),
and (from memory) terminal 2 which is the line in
and terminal 3 is the selective disconnect from line 2 when the 1/8 jack is inserted..

Orginally, the circuit will run: from the board (+), red wire, terminal 2, terminal 3, yellow wire, to the mic wire that was cut (see beige wire in the markup photo), the mic capsule itelf, and then into the board (-) (the side nearest to the lens).

When the 1/8" jack is inserted the flow will go like this: from the board (+), red wire, terminal 2, external mic PLUG TIP , the external mic itself, then back to the plug BASE /grnd of the ext. mic. plug, terminal 1, black wire, and into the board (-).

Note that the black wire AND, the INTERNAL mic (neg/Grd) wire, AND board (-) are connected together at a common point here.

By the way, the orginal internal mic, has very little slack in wire between the mic capsule and the pc board, so when I additionally replaced the internal mic with the radioshack model, the extra length was useful in positioning the wires and providing a place to solder the black and yellow wires onto in the circuit.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:14 PM   #17

This is what I get out of the pic?

1.Mic wires , only one gets cut front of cam, or rear of cam?

2 red color, and yellow color go to one wire side of mic, while green getsspliced on it. and that's it?

the rest is cosmetics?

Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:01 PM   #18

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
This is what I get out of the pic?

1.Mic wires , only one gets cut front of cam, or rear of cam?

2 red color, and yellow color go to one wire side of mic, while green getsspliced on it. and that's it?

the rest is cosmetics?

Yes Fishy, thats the wiring diagram. (great job)

Remember this connections are for the Radio shack #274-246 [1/8" stereo phone jack].
Also remember that i've wired it to accept mono jacks, OR only one side channel of a stereo jack for flexibility of the types of mics I could wire in. The orginal intenal mic is MONO anyway, but the signal to the Aiptek gets duplicated on to both left and right channel audio tracks.

Wiring this way provides the use of both mono and one channel of a microphone and also allows the internal mic to be used when the JACK does not have anything plugged into it.

To address your questions about the wiring and the schematic:
1) I want to clearify that : The mic wire FURTHEST from the lens gets cut, pos terminal (PURPLE in Fishy's great schematic) PURPLE gets cut,

2a) Also I want to Clearify: the RED wire goes from the JACK to the PC board (or what's left of the cut leg, purple attached to the PC board)

2b) Yes, the YELLOW is the jumper from the mic leg (purple) to the JACK

2c) YES, the GREEN wire gets spliced on/with the the mic (neg terminal)

Oh also, the diagram is looking from the bottom to see the bottom of the jack at the connecting terminals
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:31 PM   #19

Fishy,
Here's a vimeo link of an outdoor field test (but I'm standing next to one wall, open on the otherside) of the GE mic Detacthable notebook mic). I didn't really realize the dramatic change from that of the swapped internal mic. ( I swapped the internal mic with slightly larger radio shack mic)
http://www.vimeo.com/1228852

I will try to run another quick test later where I stand in the middle of my yard so there is no voice bounce back.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 6:50 AM   #20

okay the diagram is correct and rightside (purple is back of cam) gets the splice

on the pc board there is no room for margain ifasked maybe 1 mm that's it.

if the A-HD+ that I reopened had more wire on the Mic, I bemuch happierto attempt the Mod, not afraid, just not happy with no room?

When I feel confident i will go about my mod.

I also seen and have a jack plug an extention one that be a great idea as well.

thanks 88 will look further into this.