Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:29 PM   #1

I want to know which new(ish) hybrids also work as webcams. I don't think a flash video camera would be very useful for me, but if I could use it as a webcam too, then I'm sure I can find a use for it.

I initially looked at the Aiptek 720P GO-HD from Costco, and almost bought it before I realized that this model makes absolutely no claims about working as a webcam. I'm hoping some of you own this model and have found that it does work as a webcam. If this model doesn't work as a webcam, I'd like to know about other hybrids that have webcam functionality.

Thanks,
Eugene
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:41 PM   #2

Not sure about the Go-HD. I can tell you that the MPVR+ generally does not work as a webcam (though some do, depends on firmware) but the Aiptek ISDV-2 does work, and works fairly well as long as you have a lot of light in the room.

The Sanyo CG6 offers webcam feature, but it sucks for two reasons:

1) It will only do 320x240 @ 15 fps in webcam mode.

2) The USB port is right next to the tripod mount. So you can pick to have it mounted, or plugged into USB, but not both. So if you use it as a webcam you'll have to hold it in your hand the whole time.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:54 PM   #3

I know my Vupoint DV-DA1-VP (same as digilife DDV-5120A) has a webcam setting in the camera's menu and software to install for this feature. I have never used this feature however, not sure what resolution and framerate it will do.

I can tell you it has a CCD sensor and takes decent video for a cheapie. Still photos are horrible (very slow shutter speed) unless you are shooting in bright sunlight. It is almost useless indoors for still shots, any movement becomes a blur in the photo.

I can test the "webcam" feature if you are interested.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:05 PM   #4

first of all i love digicams very much,it is an capture of sweet memorable events and all it has to be the handle very easy,the cam that should hybrid in the sense of improving the experiance of the cam and all ........
--------------------------------
Lara
Visit Sexxat.com - Instant Social Sex Networking and Amateur Video Chat Rooms

lara84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:10 PM   #5

lara84 wrote:
Quote:
first of all i love digicams very much,it is an capture of sweet memorable events and all it has to be the handle very easy,the cam that should hybrid in the sense of improving the experiance of the cam and all ........
--------------------------------
Lara
Visit Sexxat.com - Instant Social Sex Networking and Amateur Video Chat Rooms
lol what? :?
sounds like spam to me (signature, post count, out of topic msg, registration date)
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:32 AM   #6

I was wondering the same thing about the Aiptek AHD 720p, although I bought it because I wanted a small cheap portable camcorder, the webcam would've been a bonus, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

However, I have found a workaround, it's called the EasyCAP USB Capture Device, and it is essentially a usb video capture card, it is really small, plug it in, install the drivers, connect your camcorder to it (in my case the aiptek ahd). The EasyCAP shows up as a video capture device in windows and you can choose it as you webcam. I have used it in Windows Live Messenger as a webcam. It will do NTSC/M 720x480 @ ~30fps, best of all, it only cost me $16 off of eBay, that includes shipping!
AtariJedi is offline   Reply With Quote