Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 23, 2008, 3:39 AM   #1

I don't know what this person did to get the sound so clear, but I wish they would share their setup. If anyone has any hints, please share (my voice still sounds distorted when I talk on tape). This instrument sounds very clear, IMO.

Brilliancy on Mandolin - http://youtube.com/watch?v=pgQqgq9BpMY

3dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2

This is all conjecture here in my part :-?, but It looks like he has the A-HD on a tripod which is sitting a few feet away and aimed at the mandolin. I noticed that just before the video cuts off it looks like hes reaching for the A-HD remote to turn off the record mode without getting up to turn it off( I assume this is not edited).

If this is the case, I'm guessing the mic would be about 3-5 feet away. This seems to be the sweet spot for my internal A-HD at conversation for sound at moderate levels. Its possible that if the mandolin is in a quiet room and if it doesnt provide a sustained sound presssure which is an extremely loud tone , it maybe a reason why it dosent overwhelm the mic. The plucking may help in the quality since there is not as much resonance or harmonics, or a loudly sustained noise level than such as recording a piano, or a larger live band.

I noticed that one of his videos about 3 months earlier used a sync up from another sound recorder. So he might of been aware of the intial sound quality. Also one of earliest video with the A-HD (the one with the dog and cat) seems to be the same quality of my internal mic with low level hiss. Something or some technique might have change in his recording in that video. I too am curious. Inquiring minds want to know.:O
88impact_blue88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:11 PM   #3

The dynamic range of an acoustical instrument such as a mandolin isn't probably enough to make the A-HD audio clip. Another thing attempting to make an A-HD playable file from a Nero Digital AVC file using ffmpeg to change the wrapper is I noticed that A-HD files have a 32 kbps audio bitrate which might also be part of the problem. The files generated by Nero were 224 kbps audio bitrate and the ones generated by Total Media Extreme are around 192 kbps.

I should try an A-HD video with my synth but at a low volume and I bet it doesn't break up. But talk while you're holding the camera and see what happens. :lol:

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:30 AM   #4

Hi 88impact_blue88,

Yeah, I agree with you about the "sweet spot" as well as the sound pressure theory. Perhaps a mandolin was what the Aiptek techs used to test the internal mic with before they bundled it with the camera. I am just thinking that if they had properly used voice, and used it in a relatively loud environment, that they should have realized that they needed to use a different mic. I wish they really did give us a better mic for this camera :sad:..I could really see this being the "uber-stocking stuffer" around Christmas time.

Although, I have to say, I am more apt to believe we are hearing the original mic sound as oppose to a secondary audio source only because he states in his description, "Short take to test the built in mic on the Aiptek A-HD video recorder." So for now, unless I know otherwise, I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt that he is using the internal mic with no alterations.

Hi hdguy,

hdguy wrote: "But talk while you're holding the camera and see what happens. :lol:"

Yep, I agee with you there! :-) And as I shared earlier, I can't see how the technicians could have tested the mic out by talking (narrating) and recording at the same time and think that the mic quality was acceptible. Unless they had a contract for those mics that they had to uphold or something, they shouldn't have never made it into the units. But after reviewing more mic hacks, I may have to make a decision to take the plunge and do one myself. Will have to wait and see...

Well, thanks, both, for the feedback.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 5:48 PM   #5

Why don't you just post a text reply on Youtube, and ask him what you want to know ? I did the same for a guy who upgraded the sound on his A-HD, and, modified his camera to accept C-mount lenses. He responded with a video answering my questions. I think the future has arrived. Check out his video about the lens mod, very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewrmIW-EP_4

The link above is to the mic replacement video, but there are 2 more vids under this, one of which was shot before he modified the mic, and the other answers my questions. Play all 3 of his videos, and you can compare the audio after his mic replacement-(wish he'd have included more detail, but he was nice enough to respond to me with a video, so he might do the same for you). ..

jboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 1:41 AM   #6

Hi jboy,

That is a good idea. I will probably have to create a profile first, to post replies there since I haven't responded to any clips yet; I mainly just view.

Also, I did find another clip on YouTube with someone using a piece of an egg carton and some packing foam over the mic and it seems to be working quite well in this instance:

Audio Test After AIPTEK A-HD Firmware Upgrade 2.002 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=LWmVa1Qc-qA

He mentions "Fishy", and says that he should be on Aiptek's payroll. I agree, of course.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 3:23 PM   #7

I actually tried the piece of egg carton trick and, for me (using firmware 1.6), It helped a bit. However, the sound is still noisy.

It's fine for home videos and such. However, I'm working on an actual film at the moment. I'm forced to use external sound equipment to get the clear crisp sound that I want for it. I don't mind though, I'd probably used my external sound equipment even if the A-HD had great built in sound recording.
Nikogrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:07 AM   #8

Hi Nikogrel,

I did get a chance to see your latest video [
Quality Test #2. Aiptek A-HD Video and Close-up Audio (1.6 firmware)] and I think that the sound is definitely improved. Question: did you use the piece of egg carton on the inside or on the outside (like a hood to channel the sound) of the mic? I am just trying o picture how it is being used.

Thanks again for the feedback. :-)
Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:33 PM   #9

Actually, What I did was first put a piece of tissue paper on the inside (A normal Kleenex rolled up about 3 times and cut to shap). Then, on top of that, I inserted the piece of styrofoam eggcarton.

It's all on the inside. ^_^

It helps it sound pretty good inside in a nice quiet room. However, outside or in a crowded room with more noise, things can sound a little muffled.
Nikogrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 3:23 AM   #10

Ah, all on the inside...okay, got it. Thanks for the info, Nikogrel! :-)