Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:36 PM   #1

Toshiba's new HD hybrid looks somewhat familiar:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photog...mcorder-245098

:G

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:26 AM   #2

hehe!:G Did someone say "Go-HD"?
3dcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:02 AM   #3

Oh man i was keeping my eye on this and gotta say im a bit dissapointed tbh!

I know the aiptek go might be good for them but you expect better from Toshiba!

Still its early days though and i wont be buying a HD cam till later in the year anyway to coincide with my skiing in canada so ive got ages to shop around!
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 8:31 AM   #4

I admit, I'm very surprised by this move too. Toshiba is usually known for making above-average products. Although, the desktop computers they made back in the 1990's were terrible. I wonder if it is the same inside, you know, CMOS sensor, same reliability problems I hear reported, etc..

One thing I'm curious about is who really makes these cameras. In today's marketplace, almost nothing you see is actually made by the company whos name is on the product. For example, around 90% of the laptop computers you see are not made by the company whos name is printed on it.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 2:40 PM   #5

I would say that some company makes these things for Aiptek, Polaroid, DXG and other companies and now Toshiba. That's why you see the common case across these brands. The consumer electronics industry works this way. I had a rep from a company I had never heard of visit me where I worked in the 1990s. Turns out he was from the company that manufactured the majority of CD drives at that time for other companies who put their brand name on them.

I've been helping a friend who I purchased a Toshiba laptop for last year to get Toshiba to back up the warranty. His screen has blue splotches on it and I was able to identify those as a manufacturing defect called a "region mura." They are rare and often not caught on the assembly line and show up later in the field when in use. The scumbags at Toshiba claim it is "user caused." I would like to know just how a user can cause these?

Anyway after a couple rounds with Toshiba support (long waits on the phone with lousy music designed to make you hang up) we took it to a local consumer affairs TV reporter who looked into it. Toshiba's infamous for poor warranty backup and this is another case that needs to come to public light. Toshiba still claimed it was user caused so the consumer affairs guy is pushing it up to a electronics consumer affairs organization.

Obviously I can no longer recommend Tosbhiba products to anyone.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:01 AM   #6

Interestingly, Toshiba is one of the few laptop makers who actually do build their own laptops. Or at least most of them. I think some of their low-end models are re-branded.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 10:25 AM   #7

Is this definately what its going to look like though!?

I have seen a couple of different pics floating about the net on the different stories ive seen!

Fingers crossed its not just a rebranded GO-HD
craigyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:43 PM   #8

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
I've been helping a friend who I purchased a Toshiba laptop for last year to get Toshiba to back up the warranty. His screen has blue splotches on it and I was able to identify those as a manufacturing defect called a "region mura." They are rare and often not caught on the assembly line and show up later in the field when in use. The scumbags at Toshiba claim it is "user caused." I would like to know just how a user can cause these?

Anyway after a couple rounds with Toshiba support (long waits on the phone with lousy music designed to make you hang up) we took it to a local consumer affairs TV reporter who looked into it. Toshiba's infamous for poor warranty backup and this is another case that needs to come to public light. Toshiba still claimed it was user caused so the consumer affairs guy is pushing it up to a electronics consumer affairs organization.

Obviously I can no longer recommend Tosbhiba products to anyone.
I've also experienced Toshiba's infamous horrendous support. I won't buy anything by Toshiba unless it's inexpensive enough to be considered disposable. It's a shame because Toshiba makes a tabletpc with nice specs, but there's no way I'll voluntarily put myself through the nightmare of dealing with Toshiba's support again.
leaftye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:05 PM   #9

Welcome to the wonderful world of 'Badge Engineering'

Having said that it's not an exact copy as it seems as it has 128MB memory and the GO-HD doesn't have a HDMI connection. There may be other other changes not mentioned in the article such as what the bitrate may be, although I am betting it's the same.

Not only are most electronics not made by the company whose badge is on it, they often aren't even designed by the company. A lot of products are designed in Taiwan and then made in China! A good example are PDA's. My ipaq along with many other Pocket PC's are all designed and made by HTC.

It just shows that a well known brand name is more important than where the product originates from. A good example is Polaroid. The company was a camera and film company yet now they have folded, they are using the name on electronics because it seems people are more comfortable with a brand name they are already familiar with even if it had nothing to do with that market segment before! Myself I find it odd as Polaroid have no proven history in that market segment so to me it's still an off brand but I assume they count on the fact that the general public are not aware of this. They generally don't do a lot of research and just rely on a brands reputation in general.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 9:10 PM   #10

I'm afraid it's just a re-badged Aiptek GO-HD.

Toshiba's so-called "Camileo" brand apparently consists of three camcorder models:

1. Camileo Pro HD:

2. Camileo Pro (a re-badged DigiLife):

3. Camileo (also a re-badged DigiLife):

Their marketing seems currently to be European.

Not much going on here in the states with these models... yet.

And it's hard to see how they would succeed when one can just buy a DigiLife directly from DigiLife's Web site and one can buy the newer Aiptek models when they ship this Spring.

:G

Private Idaho
Private Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote