Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 5, 2008, 4:49 PM   #1

What is the video quality like on the Xacti cameras? Which model is best quality - I don't need HD. I am going on a trip and wondering whether to buy an Xacti or just to use the movie function on my Canon 800 IS - I need to travel light!
Prue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:33 AM   #2

Welcome aboard, your question may get answered correctly in the sanyo, but there are a few members here Like Me who Own the Sanyo.

take a look in t Vimeo locate my username and section for the sanyo Hd700 you'll see some 640 res. Sea Towrescue is one that two cams were used and both were filmed in lower res' and corrected later on.

the quality is great, I have no issues the higher the quality the better the playback on DVD. I prefere to keep at 1280x720 H264 over 640 -VGA
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:23 AM   #3

I looked up the specifications of your Canon. I would say the quality of your canon will be equal or possibly better than the Xacti models that are not high def (which you said you didn't need)

The main differences are:

1) Codec - Your Canon uses Motion-JPEG which will likely result in a slightly better picture (depending on bit-rate) but will eat up your memory card much faster. The Sanyo models use Mpeg4 or H.264 which will store tremendously more per SD card, while sacrificing very little quality.

2) Zooming - Most digital cameras will not allow you to zoom while taking video, I would imagine your Canon is the same. So this can be a problem sometimes. The Xacti will allow you to zoom while doing this.

3) Audio - The Canon uses Mono audio in WAVE format, although there is no mention of the sampling rate, I'd be surprised if it is any more than 11 Khz. The Sanyo will record stereo audio in AAC format, usinga sampling rate of 44 Khz. The Sanyo will hvae much better audio quality.

Otherwise, the size of the cameras appear to be similar, but yours probably works better on a tripod than the Xacti because the Cannon's shape allows it to anchor to the tripod better.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 9:28 AM   #4

Thanks so much - that's a great help - and I save money too!
Old Mar 8, 2008, 8:46 AM   #5

adric22 summed it upped pretty well. I have an Xacti C40 and the use of a Canon A640. The video quality is very similar but the Canon only stores 10 minutes or so per GB whereas the Xacti will hold just over 40 minutes.

If you are only planning on shooting occasional short video clips of under 10 minutes then your existing camera will be fine. The advantage of the Xacti's is that you can shoot longer events all in one continuous shot.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:44 AM   #6

the xacti is and does not have limited clips but battery life. I am not anywhere dissappointed but very pleased with a 2 gig and the batt of my xacti. I just got back from a attraction should have filmed all the sd card or battery whichever came first.

but being wet and cold was no fun.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:50 PM   #7

I have tried unsuccessfully to get hold of an Xacti CG65 - fortunately I was made aware on this site of various unscrupulous sellers who sell these cameras at a very reduced rate... so I ended up ordering an E1. I can't wait to try this out.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:51 PM   #8

Prue wrote:
Quote:
I have tried unsuccessfully to get hold of an Xacti CG65 - fortunately I was made aware on this site of various unscrupulous sellers who sell these cameras at a very reduced rate... so I ended up ordering an E1. I can't wait to try this out.
I think you will like it. While the Canon will work, the Xacti is just so much nicer to use in my opinion when just shooting video and it's not as if the photo abilities are that terrible either!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote