Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:18 AM   #1

I am maybe considering buying Aiptek AHD 200, because My Canon S2 IS broke when I was tooking pictures in the snow/rain in low temperature. Now I have two broken cameras Aipted DV5700 and Canon S2 IS:angry: My Aiptek DV5700 wasn't bothered with little rain or snow it only broke when my son tilted display too much :sad:
I figured out that Aiptek AHD 200 could be also ideal in cold climates becouse it warms itself so humity doesn't come inside so easily.

Is it possible to convert Aiptek AHD 200 MOV files to MPEG2? I cannot view any samples, because MOV files are stuttering too much with my old computer. But when I looked samples from Canon HV20 they played perfectly. But I cannot buy Canon HV20 it is too expensive for my normal everyday use. Can this huge compression be uncompressed easily? Could somebody also post samples in D1 resolution and if somebody could uncompress AVCHD to MPEG2 or tell me is it possible? Thanks.
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2008, 4:30 AM   #2

1. Aiptek is not a water resistance cam it wil fry just like the rest, it may gete warker, but that is the battery not the whole cam, the capacitor is what is heating up, that may just help .001% there are openings and the Macro/infinity switch is vulnerable for dust to the Lens

2 File conversion is easy , and will take some time any file can be converted to a higher or lower format. It may bepossable to convert, but you may not have a Hi-Def file after that.

3 the screen with your Son Pulling htis is even springer and will probably break faster with him. sorry to say that accident is not good. if he was curious and you did not release fast enough.

Alan Wake wrote:
Quote:
I am maybe considering buying Aiptek AHD 200, because My Canon S2 IS broke when I was tooking pictures in the snow/rain in low temperature. Now I have two broken cameras Aipted DV5700 and Canon S2 IS:angry: My Aiptek DV5700 wasn't bothered with little rain or snow it only broke when my son tilted display too much :sad:
I figured out that Aiptek AHD 200 could be also ideal in cold climates becouse it warms itself so humity doesn't come inside so easily.

Is it possible to convert Aiptek AHD 200 MOV files to MPEG2? I cannot view any samples, because MOV files are stuttering too much with my old computer. But when I looked samples from Canon HV20 they played perfectly. But I cannot buy Canon HV20 it is too expensive for my normal everyday use. Can this huge compression be uncompressed easily? Could somebody also post samples in D1 resolution and if somebody could uncompress AVCHD to MPEG2 or tell me is it possible? Thanks.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:48 AM   #3

Thanks for quick answer. I was able to convert MOV file to MPEG2 with some shareware tool which converts only half of video and there seem to be no loss in resolution and quality (resolution is same as original), now video plays fine, maybe there are free conversion tools also available?

So I bought it, maybe it isn't waterproof and has openings to get dust, but zoom can't broke in this camera and where you can get water resistant HD camcorder with 160€ :G Maybe I should be using plastic bag when I am filming with kids in harsh weather, has anybody good suggestions how to prevent camera getting wet in rain/snow?
Old Mar 6, 2008, 1:10 PM   #4

Aiptek do a underwater cover for the go-hd, maybe it will fit th ahd200 see http://www.aiptek.eu/index.php?optio...amp;Itemid=234
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:38 AM   #5

I doubt it will fit AHD it has quite different casing. But Aquapac or similar water resistant bag could be answer. But I still think AHD200 is more robust in harsh weather than my Canon was, AHD200 doesn't have zoom or anykind of lens mechanism which could be broken with humidity or could freeze in cold weather.

I've tried camera yesterday and noticed that sound is pretty much muffled, has anybody suggestion how to make it more clear, external audio recorder is one choise but it is quite difficult to carry it all the time with you. Could you perhaps change internal microphone for better or some similar fixing?