Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 7, 2008, 4:49 PM   #1

I've just bought a new SVP HDDV 8800 and the battery will not charge, either by connecting it to my PC with the USB cable or through the AC adapter. The LEDlight turns blue after the camera has been plugged in to charge for about one minute. When I turn the camera on the LCD display shows the battery icon with a full charge but seconds later it's depleted. I've tried keeping the camera connected for up to 12 hours but it makes no difference. All the camera functions work fine with the camera running off the AC adapter. As I live abroad I can't take the camera to a dealer to look at it. I'm about to open it up to have a look at the internal battery.

Does anyone have any advice?
jerpatlaclel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2008, 5:27 PM   #2

Looks like the typical np-60 battery, common to many of these hybrids. They sell for US $10 on ebay and elsewhere. You should be able to find them pretty cheap.
foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 6:14 PM   #3

Thanks foxdirtrider...I'm surprised a newcamera would come with a dead battery.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:49 PM   #4

The specs say:

Polymar Lithium battery

That's not the lithium-ion NP-60
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 8:04 PM   #5

Umm... "polymar" isn't even a word. It is a Lithium "polymer" NP-60.

SVP is such a poor company they won't even offer a replacement battery for their product on their website.

Try this one instead, it is a clone made by the same Chinese supplier:

http://www.digilifeusa.com/product_d...?ProductID=108
Old Mar 8, 2008, 3:50 PM   #6

I've finally managed to pry the camera open wide enough to disconnect the battery and pull it out. It wasn't easy and I very nearly cracked the case. I think the chrome lens shell is actually welded to the two halves of the casing. Anyway, I have the battery but I can't tell if it's a lithium polymer NP-60 or not. All it says on the foil cover is:

WANSGLORY

TEK002/3.7v/1300mAh

F-D 000271-TEK

I'm going to take it to a Radio Shack and see if they have anything similar...
Old Mar 8, 2008, 4:00 PM   #7

See if you can get LxWxH measurement in milimeters. I can check it against a NP-60.

Is there a way you could post a picture of it?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:16 PM   #8

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to post a picture on this site but the battery measurements in mm are 72 by 36 by 4. I've sent customer service at SVP an e-mail asking them to send me the battery specs. If they get back to me, and they've been quite good so far, I'll let you know what they said.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:46 PM   #9

Sorry to say those dimensions do not fit any of the common lithium battery types. I seen a picture on the SVP website showing a "Elementech LB 4011" battery for the hddv8800see: http://www.svp-tech.com/8800/pv/1%20128a.jpg

Which seemed to "cross" to a np60 battery (you will find the lb 4011 battery listed on this page, and the np60 listed as it's replacement)

http://www.subtel.de/lshop,showdetai...-dz.kodak,.htm

I measure my np60 and get 6mm x 35mm x 53mm which is not close to your measurements.

Maybe they used more than one battery type for the 8800, you may be stuck getting a replacement directly from SVP.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 12:05 AM   #10

I think I'll try an NP-60, from what you say it's smaller than the one I have here although slightly thicker. The good thing is there's no molded slot for the battery on the inside of the case, the battery simply sticks to the inner wall of the casing with adhesive tape so a slight difference in size should not be a problem.