Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:11 PM   #1

Hello all

With out opening the camera and tinkering around I came up with the following work around to record with LCD off.

Start with a radio shack Jack ( 3/8" jack I think)

Seperate the 2 pieces.

Clip off the wire connectors

Insert it

Turn on camera

Select AV Out

And there you have it.

If you want to flip the LCD you will have to open the unit and remove the magnic.

Nodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2008, 10:20 PM   #2

Neat idea.

You may damage the camera running it this way. With the mono plug you have, you are actually connecting the ground, video out, and right audio output together. Only the tip (left channel output) is not connected to anything (floating).

foxdirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:12 AM   #3

cap the plug.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:35 AM   #4

I happened to have the mono plug hanging around.

Fox, your idea could hold true, I will swap it out and up date the pictures.

Fish, Covering the jack is on my list, I'm thinking about grinding the end down more for a lower profile.

Thanks for your thought.

Nodent

Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:23 AM   #5

Usually there is resistor in output circout so anykind of shortcut doesn't damage circuit. Only problem could be statical electricity when touching metal jack with your hands.

foxdirtrider wrote:
Quote:
Neat idea.

You may damage the camera running it this way. With the mono plug you have, you are actually connecting the ground, video out, and right audio output together. Only the tip (left channel output) is not connected to anything (floating).

Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:50 PM   #6

Most modern IC's are pretty well protected (internally) against shorts and static discharge. External parts can be added for extra security.

It would be best to start with a four segmented plug so you could leave all outputs "open", especially for using the camera for extended periods of time. That way you have nothing to worry about.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:23 PM   #7

But all in all, ain't it an innovative idea, for some thing that we wanted to know how to do?

Nodent
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:13 PM   #8

Agreed, it is a good solution.

You were looking to use this as a helmetcam? Have you seen the rolling shutter issue on the CMOS cameras? Fast camera movements = stretchy distorted picture.

You will get better video with an external CCD "bullet" camera mounted to your helmet and use the A-HD line input for recording. If you close the screen during a "line input" recording, it will turn off the LCD automatically.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 5:33 AM   #9

I came up with the same idea for my Go-HD just the other day!

I also used an audio plug as it was what I had handy, I'm cutting the plastic down and drilling a hole so it can have a small ring on it and then just hang on the wrist strap.

My whole motivation was to extend battery life as my experience with similar devices has been that the LCD burns quite a lot of power.

The only thing is, I did a couple of tests using this method to disable the LCD and it didn't really seem to yield a noticably longer record time than with the LCD active (lowest brightness).

I'm wondering if despite the drain from the LCD the power use from the rest of the camera grinding away encoding 720p is large enough as to make the LCD insignificant.

Anyone done back to back run-down tests?

The little digicam buttplug is a novel idea, but I'm not yet convinced it helps much, hence my other thread of larger batteries.

dave_cant_drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:00 AM   #10

Actually isn't that an AV jack? If so a stereo plug isn't exactly correct either, you need a 4-pin plug to avoid shorting pins. They don't sell those as solder-it-yourself, you'd need to get an AV cable and just cut off the cable and strip back the outer shield of each of the 3 cables coming off it so the outer shield can't touch the inner conductors making a short. And heatshrink the ends.

Indeed, AV equipment should be protected against shorts and static- in theory. These seem to have a lot of issues and aren't all that reliable so I really wouldn't make any assumptions as to what they put in there.

Oznog99 is offline   Reply With Quote